    I am comparing the above 3 lens... and like to hear other users' opinions...

    cheers.
    will

    W Chan, Jul 21, 2004

  2. It's all made together to work together...Nikon.

    Randall Ainsworth, Jul 21, 2004

  3. W Chan

    Thomas Guest

    Preddy will be pleased as it seems Sigma kicks butt here.
    How do I know is this lens?
    It Just says APO Macro on the Barrel and it has a gold band around the
    front.

    Thomas, Jul 21, 2004
  4. W Chan

    D.R. Guest

    Load o' Crap!

    Preddy will be pleased as it seems Sigma kicks butt here.

    Check out:
    http://www.photozone.de/2Equipment/easytxt.htm

    For Optical quality:

    3.21 out of 5 = Sigma 70-300mm. Macro Super II APO
    2.79 out of 5 = Tamron 70-300 f/ 4-5.6
    2.79 out of 5 = Nikon 70-300mm f/4-5.6D ED
    2.17 out of 5 = Sigma AF 4.0-5.6 70-300mm DL Macro Super

    The Sigma 70-300mm Macro Super II (non APO) isn't as sharp as the APO version. I
    own this one (the non APO), and it's not too bad actually, so I'd go the APO
    version.

    The Sigma AF 4.0 100-300mm rocks above the all at a whopping 4.18 out of 5, but
    is priced miles above these.

    D.R.

    D.R., Jul 21, 2004
  5. W Chan

    John S Guest

    opinions...

    I have the D70 & got a Nikon 70-300mm f/4-5.6 G - as I understand it the G
    and ED version in this lens are pretty much the same, performance wise. The
    lense is slow to AF, hunts a bit, but in bright light works just great. If
    you're saving up for a much better zoom, the G @ $100 or so will tide you
    over just fine for a while. That's why I got it :)
    It's also very light weight, which means you can toss it in the bag and
    carry it everywhere. Basically a good, cheap zoom you can bring with you.
    I'd get it again. Just don't expect it to outperform a $300-$600 zoom and
    you'll be happy with it.

    John S, Jul 21, 2004
  6. I have the Nikon 70-300 G lens, and was quite disappointed in its slow
    focussing and soft image at wide apertures. It now lives in the back of
    the cupboard until I need a lightweight lens with the range. The lens I
    lug about with me is a Sigma EX 70-200 f2.8 APO. I love the lens, and
    have the arm muscles to prove it :) As the previous poster says, don't
    expect too much from an inexpensive lens.

    Dennis

    Dennis Bradley, Jul 21, 2004
  7. W Chan

    John Denk Guest

    Go with the Sigma in this case. I tried the cheap Nikkor and it was
    soft, so I returned it and bought the Sigma APO lens, which is much
    better, especially if you stop down a bit.

    John Denk, Jul 21, 2004
  8. You will get better results using a Nikon lens with a Nikon camera than
    you will using a 3rd party lens.
    The sting of low quality remains long after the sweetness of low price
    is forgotten.

    Randall Ainsworth, Jul 21, 2004
  9. I have the Nikon 70-300 G lens, and was quite disappointed in its slow
    That is quite a price range and unfortunately none of these lenses focus
    really quickly.

    ~$100 Nikon 70-300 G
    ~$200 Sigma 70-300
    ~$300 Nikon 70-300 ED

    ~$700 Sigma 70-200 f2.8

    Now if you really want sharp at f2.8, fast and accurate the ~$1400 Nikon
    70-200 2.8 VR is the best lens out there for that range.

    Using 300mm on a D70 puts you at 450mm equivalent which is very hard to hand
    hold to get a clean shot without a high shutter speed.

    In a Canon lineup there is a more selection among the fast focusing sharp
    lenses. I'd have a 70-200 f4L in a heartbeat. It is very sharp even at f4
    and fast focusing lens with a reasonably size and weight, half that of the
    Sigma 70-200

    $550 70-200 f4 L
    $1000 70-200 f2.8
    $1400 70-200 f2.8 IS

    Mark Kovalcson, Jul 21, 2004
  10. Thanks Mark

    That is a grand job you have done of listing the available range.
    Had cost been no object, I would have gone for the Nikon 70-200 2.8 VR and I
    had been considering the Nikon 70-300 ED.
    In the end I decided on the Sigma 70-200 2.8, and have been very happy with
    it in all respects.

    Dennis

    Dennis Bradley, Jul 21, 2004
  11. W Chan

    D.R. Guest

    I am sure that the sting of soft photos from buying a Nikon ED lens with such a
    low quality glass will smite even more, seeing that they cost a premium and that
    the Sigma equivalent is cheaper and better in this particular case.

    Compare for example the Tamron 28-75mm F2.8 XR DI for about US$585. Slightly
    sharper than the Nikon 28-70 ED equivalent at US$2700. 4.14 vs 4.05 out of 5.
    You can be a snob all you like and try to convince yourself that you are better
    off having bought the Nikon ED at almost 5 times the price of the Tamron lens.
    Whereas others not so snobby can enjoy the quality at about 1/5 of the price.

    D.R., Jul 21, 2004
  12. W Chan

    D.R. Guest

    Mine is the non-APO and it has no APO written anywhere to be seen on packaging
    or the lens itself. If the one you are looking at says "APO" then it will be.

    D.R., Jul 21, 2004
  13. W Chan

    D.R. Guest

    Some images taken with my lens (all except the third image):
    http://radel.inet.net.nz/photography/people.html

    and:
    http://radel.inet.net.nz/photography/macro.html

    Scanned with a cheapie scanner.

    I am no "photographer" as such, and I risk humiliation by Mr Ainsworth for even
    showing these here. But here you go.

    You can get much sharper lenses than this, but more $$$$$....

    D.R.

    D.R., Jul 21, 2004
  14. Thanks Mark
    I've heard good things about the Sigma 70-200 f2.8, but my understanding is
    that you need to stop it down to f4 before it is sharp and it is slow to
    focus. Still many are a fan of that lens.

    This site has some reasonable reviews of lenses by lens owners.

    http://www.fredmiranda.com/reviews/

    Here is a good link for Canon lens reviews.

    http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/lenses/canon_lenses.shtml

    Mark Kovalcson, Jul 22, 2004
  15. W Chan

    Sander Vesik Guest

    OTOH you can be sure it doesn't start to stick at infinity focus after a week or
    be very unsharp thoughout 1/2 of teh focus range or simply fall apart - stuff
    i saw back when i still considered tamron an option.

    Sander Vesik, Jul 22, 2004
  16. W Chan

    D.R. Guest

    That's what a warranty is for. Most decent shops will even exchange if your
    sample is not as sharp as it should be. Just clarify this before purchase.

    D.R., Jul 22, 2004
  17. W Chan

    Sander Vesik Guest

    Yeah, but you know, it grows very old very fast. I'd rather use lens where
    such is not a *systematic* problem.

    Sander Vesik, Jul 25, 2004