Leice R9 System Goes Digital--What A Monstrosity!

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by jeremy, Jul 18, 2006.

  1. jeremy

    Bandicoot Guest

    Re: Leica R9 System Goes Digital--What A Monstrosity!

    "Volker Hetzer" <> wrote in message
    > acl schrieb:
    > > This problem that people seem to have with digital cameras being
    > > obsoleted very quickly seems to me to be a problem of
    > > perception (at least nowadays): they don't like it that something
    > > better is out.

    > I think that problem would have existed, if there had been room for
    > improvement in film cameras.
    > But, resolution was more or less film based, so no scramble for the
    > latest sensor and optical "revolutions" were limited to zooms.
    >
    > No one thought about putting a tape recorder in for taking notes for
    > instance, there was no slr with polaroid preview, no 8mm movie
    > mode, you couldn't stuff in a hundred yards of film into an
    > extralarge magazine

    Well, that one was quite commonly available, with 250 shot Leicas, and 250
    shot long roll backs for, for example, Pentaxes from the Spotmatic through
    to the LX.

    > and no prepackaged bags for the lab ever dropped out of
    > any film camera either.

    Arguably, you could say that that was what APS was...

    > Therefore, after auto exposure there was essentially no need for
    > new film cameras anymore, only for the occasional lens
    > replacement.
    >
    > But digital cameras have acquired all those features over time and
    > will acquire many more, therefore people will switch more often.

    Despite the points above, I do agree with your basic point about why
    change/obsolescence is driven faster with digital. With film cameras the
    drive for optivcal improvement was spread between the camera (a little) and
    (more) the lens, film and processing. With digital, camera and film are
    effectively one and the same in this respect.

    Also, for a long time the area in which it was most obvious that digital
    lagged behind film in image quality was resolution: hence there was a rush
    to increase pixel counts, and every few months new models came out. After
    that the pace of change slowed a little, as the resolution issue was more or
    less 'resolved' and the race slowed down. Now the qualitative differences
    are much subtler (d-max, noise, colour endition etc., to name a few, are all
    key to image quality, but hard for manufacturers to explain to the average
    consumer) and so change on that front is slower. As a result, camera makers
    are back to the old game of trying to differentiate themselves in terms of
    features, and a few very easy to quantify (and explain to consimers) things
    like buffer size and start up time.

    Peter

    Bandicoot, Jul 28, 2006

  2. jeremy

    Mike Ross Guest

    On Tue, 18 Jul 2006 23:58:08 GMT, "jeremy" <> wrote:

    >Mechanical Leicas may have some appeal as collectable cameras. There is a
    >legitimate market for things like mechanical cameras--an item whose time is
    >past.
    >
    >But, consider electronic items. What happens to old computers, old cell
    >phones, old Walkmen, old video games, etc.?
    >
    >They end up in the trash--not in the hands of museums or collectors.

    Old computers in trash? Pick a window - you're leaving! :)

    See: http://www.corestore.org/compute.htm

    Mike
    --
    http://www.corestore.org
    'As I walk along these shores

    Mike Ross, Jul 31, 2006

  3. jeremy

    Mike Ross Guest

    Re: Leica R9 System Goes Digital--What A Monstrosity!

    On Sun, 23 Jul 2006 13:45:04 +1200, Bystander
    <> wrote:

    >I can't see it myself. I'm using a Kodak DCS Pro 14n, a now-discontinued
    >full-frame sensor DSLR that uses my old Nikon-mount lenses.

    <snip>

    >My main anxiety about the Pro 14n, incidentally, is whether or not the
    >batteries for it will still be available for the life of the camera. Use
    >it in the right circumstances and the results are great -- but issues
    >like slow startup, horrid noise levels in low light and surprising moire
    >effects -- you wouldn't get that with Kodachrome -- easily justify the
    >camera's discontinuance.

    Most of those problems were fixed to at least some degree in the
    followup Pro SLR/n - I bloody well hope so anyway, I've just bought
    one on ebay!

    Mike
    --
    http://www.corestore.org