  1. I will probably end up doing the same thing. I purchased a 9600 dpi scanner
    that will allow me to scan medium and large format film. Now, I am looking
    for a decent used MF camera.....Possibly a Mamiya.......

    William Graham, Sep 25, 2006

  2. So, what should a poor artist do?
    Become good enough to be able to work with the tools he/she can
    afford.......

    William Graham, Sep 25, 2006

  3. Chris Loffredo

    Tony Polson Guest

    He cannot afford it, does not remotely understand it and therefore
    cannot put any monetary value on its excellence. His logic is, why
    pay for something excellent when mediocre gear is more than adequate
    for his completely undemanding requirements?

    Name any brand of lens from Cosina to Zuiko, fixed focal length or
    zoom, wide angle, standard or telephoto ... set it at f/8, and it
    would provide images far better than anything he will ever need.

    Leica glass would be completely wasted on him, and he knows it. What
    surprises me, Chris, is that you find that fact surprising, and that
    you think it is worth arguing with an imbecile.

    "A village somewhere is missing its idiot."

    Tony Polson, Sep 25, 2006
  4. Chris Loffredo

    Tony Polson Guest

    No group of people is more arrogant than the profoundly ignorant.

    Tony Polson, Sep 25, 2006
  5. If one can't do it then maybe it would be better to do
    something one can do.

    Naw, what the heck, blame it on the charcoal, the camera,
    the sunset... anybody but me.

    "Some people claim that there's a woman to blame,
    But I know, it's my own damn fault." Buffet, J.

    Nicholas O. Lindan, Sep 25, 2006
  6. But some people buy art goods with the expectation that they will increase
    in value over time, and so be a good investment. That, plus they can hang
    them on the wall and enjoy them while they are appreciating. - I can't do
    this, because I am very bad at picking which ones will appreciate. One might
    buy a Leica for the same reason.....It will appreciate, or at least, hold
    its value very well, and at the same time, you can still take pretty good
    pictures with it.....:^)

    William Graham, Sep 25, 2006
  7. Chris Loffredo

    Bill Funk Guest

    The appreciation thing isn't about knowing - it's about guessing and
    hoping.
    Past performance is not a guarantee of future performance. I read that
    somewhere. :)
    Buying art in hopes of making money is pretty risky, unless you have
    the money to buy what has already appreciated a lot.
    Commerative Star Wars plates are cheaper! <Very big grin>

    Bill Funk, Sep 25, 2006
  8. Chris Loffredo

    Bill Funk Guest

    Those who want to learn, can learn.
    What digital has done is open photography up to a vast number of
    amateurs who can now take decent photos, and that irritates a lot of
    people who believe in the whole "You have to pay your dues" thing.
    While "Life is rough" is a favorite saying of mine, life isn't near as
    rough as it was 50 years ago (and, yes, I remember what it was like 50
    years ago). Why shouldn't photography be easier, even for those who
    don't know what an aperture is?
    True, but you picked the cameras.

    Bill Funk, Sep 25, 2006
  9. Chris Loffredo

    nathantw Guest

    George Daniel's escapement is fine. It took him quite a long while to
    find a watch company that will use it in their watch line. I saw that
    most of the big companies, even Patek Phillipe used it at one point,
    but each one dropped the technology in favor of their own. It appears
    that Omega is now using the co-axial technology for some of their
    watches.

    Patek Phillipe must be doing something correct considering that they're
    able to make a mechanical watch that has a 10-day reserve. I think that
    Patek Phillipe may have dropped the George Daniel co-axial escapement
    was because it wasn't made by Patek Phillipe. Only they really know the
    reason.

    To keep this thread part of the photo equipment Usegroup we should
    mention something about cameras, so here it is....Leica.

    nathantw, Sep 25, 2006
  10. Chris Loffredo

    rafe b Guest

    What's the problem? There's eBay. Or KEH, or whatever.

    Get yourself a Nikon FE or FM and a load of AIS primes,
    and have a ball.

    You complain that your digicams won't let you "take control."
    Did you check the controls before choosing and buying?

    Maybe it's dumb luck but none of my three digital cameras
    has this problem. They can be as smart or as dumb as I
    tell them to be.

    Manual focus with most digicams is indeed a PITA, but
    not much worse than it was for a 35 mm rangefinder. Focus
    is one area where I simply let the camera have its way.
    95% of the time, the camera does the right thing.

    rafe b
    www.terrapinphoto.com

    rafe b, Sep 25, 2006
  11. The Mamiya 7 is the cat's whiskers, but the interesting lenses are pricey. I
    bought one with the 65/4.0 and never got around to buying another lens.
    Oops. So I should have saved a gob of money and just got the Fuji GSW690III.

    David J. Littleboy
    Tokyo, Japan

    David J. Littleboy, Sep 25, 2006
  12. Amen to that! Er, unless, of course, you were including me among the
    ignorant.....

    --
    john mcwilliams

    Max thought the night-time burglary at the California surfing museum
    would be a safe caper, but that was before he spotted the security cop
    riding a bull mastiff, blond hair blowing in the wind, and noticed the
    blue-and-white sign wired to the cyclone fence, "Guard dude on
    doggy."4:50:08 PM

    John McWilliams, Sep 26, 2006
  13. Chris Loffredo

    That_Rich Guest

    *One* of the best things about rangefinders is the ability to focus in
    loooooooow light situations. I have found that focusing a rangefinder
    is a no brainer compared to a slr in any situation.

    RP©

    That_Rich, Sep 26, 2006
  14. Chris Loffredo

    Annika1980 Guest

    Perhaps they buy them to impress somebody with their impeccable tastes.
    Or maybe they just have lots of extra cash layin around.

    Both, similar reasons to own a Leica.

    People often jump up my ass for concentrating too much on the equipment
    and not enough on the photography. These Leicaphiles are the world's
    worst at that. Most of them can't take a decent pic, but that doesn't
    matter as long as they wear their little Leicas into the coffee shop
    when they buy their $10 lattes. Some of them even take along the
    pretty little leather cases for their jewelry.

    Yessir, Leica is just Bling-Bling for white folks.

    Annika1980, Sep 26, 2006
  15. Chris Loffredo

    That_Rich Guest

    Well I don't know about all that. When I bring my Leica IIIF with a
    5cm pancake lens out there are a lot of chuckles as the thing is in
    miserable shape aesthetically... leatherette missing, scrapes and
    scruffs everywhere, yet when the same people see the prints they are
    amazed.
    Jewelry for the homeless.

    RP©

    That_Rich, Sep 26, 2006
  16. Hey guys.....You are both artists, or at least your hobby is producing
    artistic works. And yet you are belittling someone who pays the big bucks
    for someone else's artistic work, and hangs it (presumably) on his wall?
    What's with that?

    William Graham, Sep 26, 2006
  17. Chris Loffredo

    Peter Irwin Guest

    Famous art tends to be good.
    Most good art isn't famous.
    Buying famous art proves you have money.
    If you buy artwork to hang on your wall based on how much
    you like it, then most of it will be stuff that hardly
    anyone knows about.

    Peter.

    Peter Irwin, Sep 26, 2006
  18. Chris Loffredo

    Tony Polson Guest

    Stubborn and persistent ignorance, you mean!

    With Jeremy, you're banging your head against a brick wall. It's like
    arguing with "Mxsmanic" (Anthony Atkielski). Nothing ever sinks in to
    their thick skulls.

    Nothing. Ever. Period.

    ;-)

    Tony Polson, Sep 26, 2006
  19. Chris Loffredo

    Tony Polson Guest

    Not at all, sir!

    ;-)

    Tony Polson, Sep 26, 2006
  20. Chris Loffredo

    John Turco Guest

    Hello, Jeremy:

    Yeah, look at what happened to Konica Minolta! ;-)

    Cordially,
    John Turco <>

    John Turco, Sep 26, 2006