Leica Digilux 2: PC World labtest discovers detachable lens hood...

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by ThomasH, Jun 8, 2004.

  1. ThomasH

    ThomasH Guest

    Aren't you astonished how massive computer (or personal
    computing) magazines suddenly deal with digital cameras??

    I could enlist here a variety of recent "tests" and "reports"
    with a different level of embarrassment to these self proclaimed
    "photography experts," but probably this message about the $1800
    Leica Digilux 2 hits the spot for the "Grand Moron Super Award":

    The June 2004 edition of PC World on page 141 notifies its
    readers that the Digilux 2 has been added to the "Top 100"
    ranklist after it was tested by the PC World lab. PC World
    states:

    "At $1850 the Leica Digilux 2 is one of the most expensive
    cameras we've tested. However it has a unique bounce flash
    and a detachable lens hood."

    End of message. Wooow, a detachable lens hood. Why or why do
    we pay $400-900 for these inferior Canons, Nikons, Olympuses
    or Minoltas, when for mere $1800 we can *also* get the one of
    a kind detachable lens hood, a marvel of technology!

    (sarcasm off, now serious):
    Well, I have send a 3rd protest letter to the editors of both
    PC World and PC Magazine. This time its a divorce time for me.
    I am canceling the subscriptions. They neglect severely computer
    technology and try to become would-like-to-be Photo Magazines
    with computers.

    Of course, as long enough people will accept this crap and keep
    purchase their papers, they will keep printing their photography
    "tests" and rank lists of cameras. "Ease of use Very Good, Battery
    life fair, 88 points." I will rather stick with these old
    fashioned photo magazines. Maybe their writers still know more
    about photography? What do you think, do they? Or will American
    Photographer begin soon to test processors and graphic cards?

    Thomas

    ThomasH, Jun 8, 2004

  2. ThomasH

    Bill Crocker Guest

    Yes, I saw that also. I can't believe someone actually gets paid to write
    such trash!

    Bill Crocker

    Bill Crocker, Jun 8, 2004

  3. ThomasH

    ArtKramr Guest

    Subject: Leica Digilux 2: PC World labtest discovers detachable lens hood...

    I think the last of the great photo magazines was Modern Photography. When they
    folded, it was all over.

    Arthur Kramer
    344th BG 494th BS
    Visit my WW II B-26 website at:
    http://www.coastcomp.com/artkramer

    ArtKramr, Jun 8, 2004
  4. ThomasH

    ArtKramr Guest

    ubject: Re: Leica Digilux 2: PC World labtest discovers detachable lens
    But they don't get paid much. They do get perks form the makers; free cameras
    etc.

    ArtKramr, Jun 8, 2004
  5. ThomasH

    Paul J Gans Guest

    [snip]
    I agree.

    ---- Paul J. Gans

    Paul J Gans, Jun 8, 2004
  6. ThomasH

    Mick Sterbs Guest

    The logic is, well, they connect to computers, we write about computers,
    therefore we will also write about digital cameras.
    But their depth of ignorance on the latter is astounding.

    Mick Sterbs, Jun 8, 2004
  7. I think there is a tad of confusion by some folks. A camera, even a digital
    one, should be seen only as a tool to take photographs. Latest and greatest
    is not particularly relevant. Does it do what you want it to? - take
    photographs as you want to take them.
    Paul Riemerman

    Paul Riemerman, Jun 8, 2004
  8. ThomasH

    ArtKramr Guest

    Subject: Re: Leica Digilux 2: PC World labtest discovers detachable lens
    That's heresy. Everyone knows it is the camera that counts not the
    photographer. (grin)

    ArtKramr, Jun 8, 2004
  9. ThomasH

    Rico Tudor Guest

    From: (ArtKramr)
    If they wrote for "American Neurologist" they'd get a free brain!

    --------

    Rico Tudor, Jun 11, 2004
  10. ThomasH

    Dev Null Guest

    And, for "Proctology Today" ? ? ?

    Dev Null, Jun 11, 2004
  11. ThomasH

    ThomasH Guest

    Now, the July edition claims the following: (page 175)

    "Though it costs $1850, Leica's Digilux 2 has a fixed lens. However,
    the lens does have rings for focus and aperture adjustments."

    How can you top these revelations! :)

    They also misquote Steve Sander's conclusions about newest
    DSLR's EOS300D / Digital Rebel versus D70 (see page 91).
    Of course, Steve gives the (later arrival) D70 a clean
    preference over the Rebel, because Nikon packed it with
    advanced features as opposed to Canon, who stripped the
    Rebel of many functions to keep their EOS-10D afloat.

    Ah well, all the talking for nothing...

    Do not forget, Leica's lens has a ring for focus and for aperture,
    astonishing! Settle for nothing less than that ! :))

    Thomas

    ThomasH, Jun 15, 2004
  12. ThomasH

    ThomasH Guest

    And what is your opinion about Photo Techniques (phototechmag.com)?

    Thomas

    ThomasH, Jun 16, 2004