    Anybody have experience of both cameras?

    Thanks in advance,

    P.

    Pete, Oct 23, 2004

  2. I haven't bought either, but I want to mention an important point that tends
    to be buried in reviews.

    Nice though the Digilux may be, it appears to have a serious flaw: If you
    put it in Raw mode, there is a substantial delay (I think it's more tha 10
    seconds) each time you take a picture. The Nikon doesn't have this problem.
    Indeed, it has a mode that will simultaneously store a raw (for critical
    printing) and JPEG (for previewing) image.

    Also, the Nikon sensor is *much* larger, which means less noise with
    comparably fast lenses.

    Andrew Koenig, Oct 24, 2004

  3. Pete

    Clyde Torres Guest

    Pete,

    I am not an owner of a Leica Digilux 2, but I do own a Nikon D70 and Canon
    20D.

    At one time I looked at the Leica Digilux 2 and fell in love with it - until
    I discovered the Panasonic DMC-LC1. The DMC-LC1 is the same camera but
    looks slightly different. I found out that Panasonic makes both the Digilux
    2 and DMC-LC1 bodies, and Leica makes both lenses. You can find info on the
    Panasonic at:

    http://www.steves-digicams.com/2004_reviews/lc1.html

    In my opinion, either one of these cameras would be the best P&S cameras on
    the market if it weren't for one thing: the Venus Engine LSI is relatively
    noisy. I have heard that Panasonic has come out with another engine that is
    less noisy. When this disadvantage is fixed, I think the DMC-LC1 will morph
    into a super great P&S camera. The lens is what makes it shine.

    Clyde Torres

    Clyde Torres, Oct 24, 2004
  4. Pete

    RobJ Guest

    Clyde -

    I'm considering both the D70 and the 20D. I know both will take great
    pictures so my decision will be based more on features, ergonomics, and
    durability/build quality. Assuming you've spent some quality time with both
    cameras, do you have a clear favorite? In general, which one feels better in
    your hand, and which set of controls do you find easier to use? Also, which
    software bundle do you prefer?

    Thanks, and I apologize if you've opined on this before. I was lazy and
    didn't search the archives.

    Rob

    RobJ, Oct 24, 2004
  5. At a trade show, I was able to handle and use both cameras for about
    15 minutes each, and take pictures onto cards I brought and later at
    home output the images onto the same printer, an Epson Stylus Color
    1280, with and without post production for comparison. The D70
    produced superior prints even in an 8x10. The Leica images started
    falling apart in prints above 8x10.

    So, if you want a pricey point-n-shoot, but a very good quality
    point-n-shoot, go with the Leica, or if you want to save about $300,
    go with the Panasonic DCM-LC1. Same camera with minor cosmetic
    differences. Be aware that neither have an true optical finder, but
    use an color LCD display in the finder to give you through-the-lens
    viewing (and manual focusing, if you choose). And it's not a
    rangefinder even though it looks like one. (Wish it had been an
    rangefinder. I hear Epson is coming out with a true rangefinder
    digital based on the Voigtlander Bessa body and taking screw mount
    Leica or Voigtlander lenses.) I did like the way the controls were
    set up like a traditional film camera. Made it "natural" to operate.

    But if you want a camera designed for professionals, then the D70 is
    your choice. This one was like operating my Nikon FM2n's, but with a
    few extra do-dads. Even took my 26 year old AI Nikkor lenses.

    Stefan Patric, Oct 24, 2004
  6. Pete

    Clyde Torres Guest

    Rob, I tried to send you a personal email at but it bounced.

    Clyde

    Clyde Torres, Oct 24, 2004
  7. Pete

    RobJ Guest

    Yeah, trying to stem the ever-growing flow of crap into my in-box. Change
    abc.net to nextstate.com.

    Thanks,
    Rob

    RobJ, Oct 24, 2004
  8. Pete

    Jimmy Smith Guest

    The two are not easy to compare because the D70 is built for interchangable
    lens and the Digilux2 is a fixed lens camera. The entire philosophy and
    range of use is different.

    To make the decision you must decide what you are willing to do for
    photography and see which tool is better suited for your possible needs.

    Jimmy

    Jimmy Smith, Oct 24, 2004
  9. Pete

    Pete Guest

    Here's my thinking why I'm tempted by the digilux 2:

    Why:

    Easy to control manual settings
    Live histogram (does any other camera have this?)
    Smaller form factor than the Nikon D70 so less intimidating
    Fixed lense means less faffing about, more time just shooting.
    More fun to use
    Beautifully designed product
    Higher resale value in 3 years time (for a digicam anyway)
    Lense
    large screen

    Why not:

    The price
    5MP - is this enough?
    Not exactly "pocket sized"
    Electronic viewfinder
    Shutter lag??
    is it a "toy camera"?

    My heart says Leica, but my head says Nikon....

    P.

    Pete, Oct 25, 2004
  10. Pete

    ArtKramr Guest

    Subject: Re: Leica Digilux 2 or Nikon D70
    I learned from my years of working with a Nikon F4 and 7 lenses. It was all so
    bulky and heavy I left it home half the time and just grabbed my M Leica and
    made pictures. Think about that.

    Arthur Kramer
    344th BG 494th BS
    Visit my WW II B-26 website at: