    It does demonstrate the value of research and development - which our
    sub-prime minister decided was less important than boosting his net
    earnings through a big tax cut.

    Rich80105, Jan 30, 2009

  3. Peter  M

    oneofus Guest

    Definitely even more stupid to suggest that Samsung has a Gross Domestic
    Product
    If we had Samsung we would have the worlds largest conglomerate by revenue.
    Which by the way has 263000 employees
    It would be nice to have the option but its like saying "If we were
    South Korea" or "If I had a bigger dick"

    oneofus, Jan 30, 2009
  4. Peter  M

    Brian Dooley Guest

    snip---
    No they don't
    4 Patrol boats about the size of the RNZN IPVs
    5.25 million

    Brian Dooley, Jan 30, 2009
  5. Peter  M

    oneofus Guest

    oneofus, Jan 30, 2009
  6. Peter  M

    Carnations Guest

    Can you explain, therefore, why the "Govt" of the most capitalist nation
    on the planet recently chose to deliberately interfere in their economy
    to the tune of 700 BILLIONS of USian dollars?

    Isn't that just a little wee bit excessive? Surely those fine capitalist
    enterprises should have been left alone to their devices without
    interference from a "Communist pig" like Dubbya Bush?

    Carnations, Feb 1, 2009
  7. Calling the USA capitalist is a misnomer of the highest order. They
    have a protected, regulated and subsidised economy, not a classic
    capitalist one. The latest massive bailouts are nothing more than
    continuing a long tradition on non-capitalist economic processes. The
    NZ economy is much closer to capitalism than the US one, as we are far
    more open to market forces.

    Stephen Worthington, Feb 1, 2009
  8. Peter  M

    Mike Dee Guest

    On Sun, 01 Feb 2009 06:40:09 +0000, Carnations wrote:

    [...]
    I rather know how this drivel got leaked into nz.comp

    Mike Dee, Feb 1, 2009
  9. Peter  M

    Mike Dee Guest

    'splains everything, thanks.
    Yup, quite agree. I filter out x-posts between nz.comp and nz.general. It
    was only after the x-post was dropped that I saw this thread's follow up
    posts begin.

    Mike Dee, Feb 2, 2009
  10. Peter  M

    smartsecu Guest

    www.smartsecu.com
    led lights supplier from china

    smartsecu, Feb 19, 2009
  11. Peter  M

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Normally I'd just write that off as spam... Except that they have some
    really interesting products.

    Unfortunately all the 'LED bulbs' are Edison screw type and the voltage
    isn't mentioned. The LED growlights open up all sorts of possibilities, (and
    not just because I used to grow pot either.)

    I've always wished that I had a small Japanese garden / rockery with
    succulents growing in my lounge / entranceway and (pre-injury) used to dream
    of having one or more of those 'daylight tubes' fitted in the house I'd
    eventually build to achieve the effect without significant ongoing cost /
    energy waste. Now is seems that it would be quite possible to do with LED
    grow panels and a roof-mounted photo-voltaic array. Hell, there probably
    wouldn't be much in the way of battery storage required as the idea would be
    to have the light inside when it's light outside, with just gentle feature
    lighting in the evening. IOW my dream is now possible as an easilly
    retro-fitted option.

    <shrug> Shame I'm broke.

    ~misfit~, Feb 19, 2009
  12. I think affordable LED lights to replace our standar plug ins are not too
    far away. The ones I've seen were about $40, and obviously, no one is going
    to buy those, but they are close. :)

    Bruce Sinclair, Feb 23, 2009
  13. Peter  M

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Wicked.

    You'd think local authorities / government would be throwing money at
    research / fabrication plants. Not just for home lighting but for street
    lighting etc. There'd be some serious savings made.

    I've been wanting to replace my car's brake lights and indicators with LED
    bulbs for a while now. LEDs, by virtue of their (much) faster response time
    are eminently suited to these types of warning lights. They're far more
    noticable. That has to equate to safer. I'm less likely to be rear ended or
    hit at an intersection with LED bulbs. Alas, they're still too expensive for
    me.

    ~misfit~, Feb 23, 2009
  14. Peter  M

    bugalugs Guest

    I looked at LEDs to replace the festoon bulb in the dome light in the
    car. A couple of times now I've left one of the doors not properly shut
    and gone out to the garage a couple of days later to find the battery
    flat, the immobiliser set, and the alarm making feeble squawking noises.

    So far no joy. I haven't been able to find a LED which would fit the
    festoon fitting and, the dome light stays on and slowly dims after the
    door is shut. I understand that that dimming is controlled by reducing
    the voltage. I understand that to reduce the light output in a LED you
    reduce the current.

    I'm still looking, and waiting for technology.

    bugalugs, Feb 23, 2009
  15. Peter  M

    bugalugs Guest

    bugalugs, Feb 24, 2009
  16. Bruce Sinclair, Feb 24, 2009
  17. No draw to speak of so why do you care if it auto dims or not ?

    Bruce Sinclair, Feb 24, 2009
  18. Peter  M

    Richard Guest

    Richard, Feb 24, 2009
  19. Peter  M

    ~misfit~ Guest

    But the blurb says "much brighter than conventional globes". How bright (in
    mCd's) is a normal incandescant festoon bulb?

    I see the prices have come down considerably since I last looked. I might
    have to look at the stop/tails and indicators again....

    ~misfit~, Feb 24, 2009
  20. Peter  M

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Just my luck, no white off-set pin stop/tail. However, the prices have
    dropped. I might consider replacing the main indicator bulbs. Shame they
    don't have a little one to replace the small indicator light above the
    wheel-arch, probably the most useful one....

    Actually, that would still be $80 plus gas to get there, call it $100. I
    think I'll wait longer...

    ~misfit~, Feb 24, 2009