LED flashlight (torch light) as cheap video light

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by skarkada, Mar 10, 2008.

  1. skarkada

    skarkada Guest

    (1) My camera (Canon S2 IS) doesn't come with a shoe. It can take very
    good video in good light conditions, but the quality deteriorates
    quickly with the light.
    (2) My camcorder doesn't have builti-in video light, but came with a
    shoe. Most external video lights are expensive and cheap ones take
    several hours to charge and produce only a few minutes of light.

    I wanted to experiment with small and cheap LED flashlights and see
    how they might work as video lights.

    I found this 9 LED flashlight on Amazon for $5 with conditional free
    shipping:
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000LIOPTS

    I used this flashlight and took a short video using my digital camera
    in low light conditions. I have posted the video at:

    Please note that I am not making any recommendations. I am just
    posting my observations for the benefit of others who may be thinking
    the way I was. I am sure an external video light with its own stand
    would be much better option.

    This particular flashlight is small enought to fit in my camera bag
    along with the other portable accessories such as a small tripod, lens
    cleaning kit, spare batteries, and memory cards that I always carry.

    I am now trying to figure out how to mount a foot (tongue?) to this
    flashlight so I can use it in my camcorder's shoe without having to
    hold it in my hand.

    skarkada, Mar 10, 2008

  2. skarkada

    ~~NoMad~~ Guest

    I got a 67 LED headlamp at http://www.dealextreme.com/ for $9.34. VERY
    BRIGHT!

    Works good as a video light and synchronizes directly with your brain for
    special lighting effects.

    NM

    ~~NoMad~~, Mar 11, 2008

  3. skarkada

    peter Guest

    I got a 67 LED headlamp at http://www.dealextreme.com/ for $9.34. VERY
    Does the beam cover the entire area when the camera is at wide angle, or
    does it cover only a small spot?

    peter, Mar 12, 2008
  4. skarkada

    ~~NoMad~~ Guest

    With my older JVC camcorder it covers the entire wide angle area but the
    central part is much brighter. A little bit of zoom evens it out. Its not
    the perfect video light but, the price is right.

    NM

    ~~NoMad~~, Mar 13, 2008
  5. skarkada

    policy_wonk Guest

    A little bit of zoom evens it out. Its not
    Dealextreme has the same light 2 for $5.00 free shipping but it takes about
    3 weeks to get things from them. I've bought a bunch of these 9 led lights
    for give-aways at the office and found that about 1 out of 10 are dead and
    not fixable. Some require a little fiddling to get working. $2.50 each
    delivered is hard to believe but true. I don't understand the economics of
    slave labor I suppose.

    policy_wonk, Mar 13, 2008
  6. skarkada

    irwell Guest

    How the hell do they do it? in the dollar shop I bought
    for $1 a repair kit for fixing eye-glasses. The nice looking folding
    box contains 3 mini screwdrivers, various screws and nosepads and a
    magnifying lens.

    irwell, Mar 13, 2008