    I was wondering what most of you do.

    Thanks.

    Eddy.

    Eddy, Jul 24, 2008

  2. Eddy

    Chris Whelan Guest

    I had a Linksys that was on 24/7. It died. Its replacement gets turned off
    every night. It's still OK.

    There is no way to prove a connection between those two situations, but it's
    so trivial to arrange sockets and extension leads so that you only need to
    flick one switch to kill everything that it seems silly not to!

    Chris

    Chris Whelan, Jul 24, 2008

  3. Eddy

    Conor Guest

    Netgear DG834GT has currently been on 24/7 for just short of 3 years
    save powercuts.

    Conor, Jul 24, 2008
  4. I look after about a dozen sites with Netgear DG834s. There are all on
    24x7x365.

    I have installed them into dozens more where I do not have a continued
    liaison with the site, but again I am unaware of any that get turned
    off.

    Yes, I have had failures but not in the first 3 years. I swapped out
    some of the original 834 earlier in the year that had been in continuous
    operation for about 7 years.

    My two ADSL routers do not get switched off, nor do any of my Netgear
    switches.

    BR
    Don C

    Donald Campbell, Jul 24, 2008
  5. Eddy

    Chris Davies Guest

    Mine (a SAR110 aka Globespan Virata) stays on 24x7. My mother's one
    (a Netgear of some flavour) keels over after about 2 days of continuous
    uptime and has to be power-cycled. We've solved that problem by putting
    it on a mains timer that switches it off from around midnight to 6am
    each night. Saves a little power, too.

    Chris

    Chris Davies, Jul 24, 2008
  6. Eddy

    Adrian C Guest

    Eddy wrote:
    It's so much easier to leave it on all the time though.

    I've just installed a Sky broadband service for someone. The manual for
    the Sagem router states the advantage of the power switch - in that the
    item can be switched off when not in use to reduce the carbon footprint.

    If the person I've just installed the modem did that and lost the
    connection or had something else go wrong,. I'd dump a whole lot of
    carbon into the atmosphere just going over to their place to fix it.

    So on it stays ...

    Adrian C, Jul 24, 2008
  7. Eddy

    Eddy Guest

    Thanks for all responses up till now. Good to hear that NetGears are
    surviving 3 years while being on 24/7.

    However, the idea of installing a timer between the router's adaptor and
    the socket sounds like a good one, to give it at least 8 hours' rest a
    day.

    I don't suppose it aggravates or slowly damages a router to switch its
    power off every night, does it? At the moment I have my motherboard,
    monitor, and phone plugs (the ones that must all be on at the same time)
    arranged in surge protector so that each monring I just turn on the
    tower & the monitor. I guess having to flick the surge-protector's
    switch too wouldn't be too much of a burden. What I fear is the router
    not finding all those precious settings each morning and giving me hell!

    Eddy.

    Eddy, Jul 24, 2008
  8. Eddy

    Rob Morley Guest

    I think electronic equipment is more likely to exhibit failure at
    start-up than any other time, either because of current surge or
    because a contact or component has developed a fault that doesn't
    show up when it's warm.

    Rob Morley, Jul 24, 2008
  9. Eddy

    Bernard Peek Guest

    I'm considering a change to the systems here. I'm currently running a PC
    and router 24x7, the PC is used as a file-server. What I am thinking of
    doing is to use the BIOS settings to wake the server up early in the
    morning and program it to shut down automatically at night. If I plugged
    the server and other stuff into a smart power-strip I could get the
    router and printer etc to switch off at the same time.

    There is always the possibility that the server won't reconnect when
    it's powered up, but that's never happened yet.

    Bernard Peek, Jul 24, 2008
  10. Eddy

    Rob Morley Guest

    Why not use wake on LAN, and hibernate after a period of inactivity?

    Rob Morley, Jul 24, 2008
  11. Eddy

    Paul P Guest

    I have never known any routers to fail from overheating. Mine are on
    24hours and
    have been for 4 years now. DLINK, Netgear and Thomson. All perfectly fine.
    If you don't need your router on 24hours then it's up to you.
    Some reviews are crap - it depends who wrote them. Standard excuses are
    used
    when people get bored of equipment or can't work it properly.

    Paul P, Jul 24, 2008
  12. Eddy

    Bernard Peek Guest

    Because the workstations are all going to be off so there's nothing left
    up to send a wakeup packet. I want the server to power up some time
    before I expect to be using any of the workstations.

    Bernard Peek, Jul 24, 2008
  13. Eddy

    Henry Guest

    Indeed. How many times have you been sitting in a room when suddenly the
    light bulb burns out? Not very often, eh (if ever)? Compare that with
    the number of times you've wallked into a dark room, flipped the
    light-switch 'on' and ... POP ... there goes the bulb.
    Electronic equipment is happier, long-term, being left on 24/7 and
    operating at a constant temperature, rather than undergoing frequently
    repeated heating-up, cooling-off cycles. (Lots of high-end gear doesn't
    even have an on-off switch.)

    Nervous Nellies sometimes say, 'O! But what about the planet?' In fact,
    in the case of personal devices such as pc, router, etc. the electricity
    consumption is comparable to a light bulb and not something worth
    fretting over, either on ecological or economic grounds.

    cheers,

    Henry

    Henry, Jul 25, 2008
  14. Eddy

    Eddy Guest

    Indeed. How many times have you been sitting in a room when suddenly the
    Sounds very convincing, this.

    Thanks.

    Eddy.

    Eddy, Jul 25, 2008
  15. Eddy

    Rob Morley Guest

    On Fri, 25 Jul 2008 10:54:31 +0300
    If you frequently power cycle your equipment and as a result it fails
    early that has an ecological impact too. :)
    OTOH lots of small power drains add up to a larger one. I have
    separate router, switch and WAP at the moment and I probably ought to
    get a combined unit to reduce energy use, but I find it hard to justify
    while the present setup is working fine.

    Rob Morley, Jul 25, 2008
  16. Eddy

    Conor Guest

    It is. Had a switch in Telehouse which worked fine for years. One day
    it was powered off and never came back up. Turns out the caps in the
    PSU had dried up.

    Conor, Jul 25, 2008
  17. Eddy

    Clint Sharp Guest

    Plus switch mode PSU's can run for years with faulty components but fail
    to restart when you power cycle them.

    Clint Sharp, Jul 26, 2008
  18. I've had a Netgear RP614v2 router that has been running almost non-stop for
    five years now. Connected to my cable modem (which is actually older!), the
    whole setup is so solid that I'm hoping I get many more years out of it!

    http://www.netgear.com/Products/RoutersandGateways/WiredRouters/RP614.aspx

    Not done anything special with it. It just sits in the corner, sometimes
    flat, sometimes upright in the cradle it was supplied with. I guess you
    still can get value for money today :)

    Even better, it's now £10 cheaper than it was when I first bought it (on
    ebuyer).

    Reece

    Reece Bythell, Jul 31, 2008
  19. Eddy

    newshound Guest

    My 3Com started getting flakey and needed re-starting every few days. I
    suspected temperature so took the lid off. No problems for the last year.

    newshound, Aug 1, 2008