    I don't use the hibernate feature or system standby. System standby
    causes more problems than it is worth.

    Anyway, I have had mine on for 104 days straight.. That is pretty good.

    CtrlAltDel, Apr 26, 2009

  2. CtrlAltDel

    Fred Guest

    I've hardly turned my laptop off in 7 years, exceptions are when away from
    home, when auto restart is required for updates - installations, or very
    occasionally I take it with me. Not even the monitor. Troubles? None.

    Fred, Apr 26, 2009

  3. CtrlAltDel

    PeeCee Guest

    Pro's and Con's for this.
    The other extreme is to turn the PC off every time you leave it.

    Turning the PC off every time you leave it is often frustrating as you have
    to wait for it to start up.
    Given the bloated state of a Window PC loaded up with all the latest patches
    and Security software it is not an irritation many people are prepared to
    put up with.
    Anecdotally starting / stopping a PC frequently is supposed to place extra
    strain on the hardware leading to premature failure, though I've not come
    across a definative paper on this.

    Leaving aside the power consumption issues, letting a PC run all the time
    would seem to be kinder on the hardware.
    Unfortunately all this does is bring the failure date of the hardware up
    that much quicker.
    Running the machine 24/7 also allows the OS to ties it'self in knots
    requireing a reboot.
    (You may remember how Windows ME and before were particularly bad for this)
    So if it requires a reboot why not just shut it down each night and restart
    it in the morning saving 12 - 18 hours of power.

    Of the commercial PC's I manage the ones that are running 24/7 give no more
    trouble than one's started in the morning and shut down at night until
    January each year.
    January usually means Power supply, Hard drive (and sometimes motherboard)
    work when the companies go back to work after their 2-3 week Christmas
    closure.
    Almost exclusively the PC's that fail are the ones that run 24/7 and have
    been turned off for Christmas 'to save power'

    At the end of the day my opinion is a balance between on/off all the time
    and running 24/7 is the best policy.
    This usually means turn on in the morning and leave it running untill you
    retire at night.
    If you are going out for more than an hour then by all means turn them off
    as well.

    Hopes this helps.

    Paul.

    PeeCee, Apr 26, 2009
  4. wrote in
    The quality of your trolls has deteriorated, Altimer dear.

    --
    Rhonda Lea Kirk Fries

    If a man is offered a fact which goes against his instincts, he will
    scrutinize it closely, and unless the evidence is overwhelming, he will
    refuse to believe it. If, on the other hand, he is offered something
    which affords a reason for acting in accordance to his instincts, he
    will accept it even on the slightest evidence. The origin of myths is
    explained in this way. - Bertrand Russell

    Rhonda Lea Kirk Fries, Apr 26, 2009
  5. CtrlAltDel

    elaich Guest

    My computer runs 24/7/365 with XP SP4. I have not rebooted it in months.

    My computer is 6 years old, and I have not had one hardware failure.

    The thinking is that 'power on' is more destructive to hardware because of
    the voltage surge.

    When a hard drive fails, it is never bearing wear from running constantly.
    It is always bad sectors on the disc, multiplying as time goes on. Finally,
    a critical sector fails, and the drive can no longer read the file
    allocation table.

    If you have an OS that 'ties itself in knots' then you have some kind of
    problem. Windows 9x was famous for this because of the internal memory
    leak. Windows 2000 and on has no such problem.

    elaich, Apr 26, 2009
  6. CtrlAltDel

    Fred Guest

    All the theories I have heard - the one that makes sense is that the
    components last longer if at constant temperature. So rather than start/stop
    I just leave mine on all the time.

    Fred, Apr 26, 2009
  7. CtrlAltDel

    altie Guest

    Correct. There is no reason to churn the disk and processor through all
    that starting up and shutting down. Do you turn a refrigerator on and
    off?

    altie, Apr 26, 2009
  8. CtrlAltDel

    Evan Platt Guest

    Bad analogy.

    Your fridge isn't always running.

    It only kicks on when needed.

    To compare, would be like your laptop hibernating with <X> minutes of
    no activity. :)

    Evan Platt, Apr 26, 2009
  9. Ok, so the harddrive will spin down unless something is written to the log
    every other minute. Usually that works only for secondary drives.
    True. Hibernate is almost always safer to use.
    However, if you want to test the reliability of your powerplant, your air
    conditioner and the powerplant supplying all that (and dig a hole in your
    purse as well), continue ...
    For a server maybe, but for a enduser computer it's simply anachronistic.

    wisdomkiller & pain, Apr 26, 2009
  10. CtrlAltDel

    zulu Guest

    No
    It does that all by itself.
    ....or doesn't yours have a thermostat?
    [/QUOTE]

    zulu, Apr 26, 2009
  11. m.
    Really. Do you leave your car's engine running constantly?

    Caulfield_man, Apr 26, 2009
  12. CtrlAltDel

    PeeCee Guest

    eliach

    XP "SP4" when was that released?

    "My computer is 6 years old...." etc I think you miss my point.
    There are two basic 'thinkings' for which is the 'best' policy about
    leaving a PC on or off.
    Both camps have their advocates, both camps no doubt can come up with a PC
    that 'proves' their particular stance.
    (as your 6 year PC comment suggests)

    My point is a policy midway between the two extreme's is probably better
    than one or the other of the extreme's.
    There will allways be situations where minimal power on hours or 24/7 are
    fully justified but my thoughts are based on experience with a lot of PC's
    not just my own PC's.

    That experience has taught me PC's turned on and off daily and 24/7 PC's
    seem to have similar end of useable life times.
    The one characteristic that does seem to seperate them is the aforementioned
    January failures suggesting componets loose 'fitness' while not turned on.
    What is clearer is today the retirement age of most PC's has more to do with
    their performance level and facilities (DVD drives, USB 2.0, bigger hard
    drive etc) than anything connected to how much they are on or off.

    So if the PC is likely to last without problems long enough for the
    owner/user to outgrow it then the 'sensible' off / on policy is one that
    gives a balance between convenience and saving power/heat/noise.
    Hence my optinion:
    On in the morning, off at the end of the day for the best compromise.

    BTW I don't agree sector failure is 'always' the reason for hard drive
    failure, there are plenty of drives written off because the electronics have
    given up the ghost.

    Best
    Paul.

    PeeCee, Apr 26, 2009
  13. CtrlAltDel

    Fred Guest

    No because of uneccessary fuel consumption. But combustion engines running
    all the time will go for many many years. Ask a cab driver what life they
    get from an engine. It's often into the millions of kms or miles.

    Fred, Apr 26, 2009
  14. CtrlAltDel

    Guest Guest

    What does trolling mean by the way.

    I switch mine on and off each day. I also sometimes turn the router off as
    well.

    Guest, Apr 26, 2009
  15. I use System Standby on XP all the time, it's the fastest way I know of
    reviving my XP box - why do you say it causes more problems than it is
    worth?

    Cheers

    Caulfield_man, Apr 26, 2009
  16. and probly wasted a whole lot of electricity and created a lot of carbon
    waste not 2 mention u wasted a lot of ur $$$. At least $20 U.S. a month
    worth. U do not need 2 run UR computer 24/7 unless U are running a server.

    --\) * SItRe JoSePheNNe MAGAnA * \(--, Apr 27, 2009
  17. CtrlAltDel

    Evan Platt Guest

    It's ok if the OP leaves their computer on. By not typing complete
    words, you save enough energy for them to leave their computer on.

    Evan Platt, Apr 27, 2009
  18. ROFLMAO :)

    wisdomkiller & pain, Apr 27, 2009
  19. CtrlAltDel