    Bob Simon Guest

    If I add a brand new switch to a VTP domain will the new switch learn
    its domain name from VTP advertisements?

    Bob Simon, Oct 18, 2003

  2. no. it must be in the same domain and have the same password (if one is
    set)

    Claude

    Claude LeFort, Oct 18, 2003

  3. Bob Simon

    Bob Simon Guest

    I am confused about switches learning their domain name from VTP
    advertisements. From what I can tell the following portion of a
    paragraph from p197 of Wendell Odom's CCNA 640-507 Cert Guide is
    incorrect due to the phrase "If a switch using the defaults ... ".

    "The VTP domain name can be specified or learned. By default, the
    domain name is not set, and the switch is set to VTP server mode. If
    a switch using the defaults receives a VTP advertisement with a domain
    name, then that switch assumes the use of that domain name."

    I think that a new switch must be changed from server mode to client
    mode before it can learn its domain name. Is this correct?
    Bob

    Bob Simon, Oct 19, 2003
  4. "I think that a new switch must be changed from server mode to client
    mode before it can learn its domain name. Is this correct?"

    Not in my experience. When we connect a new switch to the network it
    automatically picks up the VTP domain info. I then connect to the
    switch and change it from VTP Server to VTP Client.

    Pete

    Pete Mainwaring, Oct 20, 2003
  5. Bob Simon

    Sam Wilson Guest

    Same here, and I was a little alarmed to find it doing that.

    Sam

    Sam Wilson, Oct 21, 2003
  6. Bob Simon

    Rob Guest

    Do you tend to keep only one VTP Server in a layer 2 network or
    multiple? Just curious.

    Rob, May 20, 2004
  7. Bob Simon

    GroupReply Guest

    Yes the VTP server is where the name is configured. Connect additonal
    switches together with trunk links and set those switches as clients. The
    VTP information and any VLANs created on the VTP server switch will
    propogate across the trunk links to the VTP client switches.

    GroupReply, May 21, 2004
  8. Hi,

    You can have multiple, in case one fails. Just setup the second vtp-server
    to have the same vtp configration (domain-name, password, etc) like the
    first vtp-server.
    Erik

    Erik Tamminga, May 23, 2004