LEAK - Nikon Strikes Back

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Darrell, Feb 18, 2005.

  1. Darrell

    Darrell Guest

    Darrell, Feb 18, 2005

  2. Nikon Shooter 001, Feb 18, 2005

  3. Such bravado! No one is going to blow anyone away in the near future. I
    hope Nikon brings out something great, though. We all benefit from a
    rousing competition, esp. when there's room for innovation and
    improvement at a high clip.

    John McWilliams, Feb 18, 2005
  4. Darrell

    Mark² Guest

    When Nikon says, "Summer 2005", that could mean "winter 2006."
    Even if it's summer 2005, that could mean August. -That's SIX MONTHS AWAY (an age in
    digital time).

    In any event...before summer 2005 ends, Canon will have likely released the 30D, or 25D,
    or 3D, or whatever different beast they intend to bonk Nikon with.

    Personally, I hope Nikon comes out with it EARLY, and that it truly DOES blow Canon away.
    That would mean bigger, chearper Canon options SOONER. Competition is great. Nikon just
    hasn't been offering very much of it in the last few years.

    Mark², Feb 18, 2005
  5. Darrell

    Mark B. Guest

    Seems to me this is meant to compete with the 20D (mag alloy body, 5 fps)
    not the new Rebel; a difference of 2 megapixels hardly qualifies as
    'blowing' Canon away. Competition is still a good thing, though.

    Mark

    Mark B., Feb 19, 2005
  6. What about noise performance? Still no samples of that APS-C 12.1
    megapixel sensor on the D2X.

    Brian C. Baird, Feb 19, 2005
  7. Darrell

    Jon Pike Guest

    Jon Pike, Feb 19, 2005
  8. Darrell

    JohnR66 Guest

    Then Canon will come out with something after that and so on...

    Does it really matter which one of these companies are in front?

    JohnR66, Feb 19, 2005
  9. Darrell

    Darrell Guest

    They could use a second generation, or a stripped down version of the 12.2
    megapixel CMOS sensor that's in the D2X. Housed in a D100 shell, without the
    high-speed cropping, and a smaller frame buffer. R&D costs would indicate
    that Nikon would want this technology in more than one camera.

    Darrell, Feb 19, 2005
  10. Darrell

    JohnR66 Guest

    When that 17MP sensor appears in a sub $1,000 SLR is when I'll be exited.
    John

    JohnR66, Feb 19, 2005
  11. Darrell

    Darrell Guest

    Oddly enough the equipment Sony uses to make the sensors is built by Nikon.
    On the shelf parts are available for a 10.66 megapixel dSLR.

    Nikon has developed 2 sensors in-house.

    Sony has a 10 megapixel (ICX263AL) APS-C sized sensor in their inventory,
    actually 10.66, but as in all dSLR some of the sensor is not used.

    http://www.adelco.it/online/company/Sony/pdf/ICX263AL.pdf This could be in
    the Pentax *ist D replacement, and the Minolta 9D.

    Dalsa has in their inventory the "True Frame" FTF4027C 11-Megapixel Color
    CCD 24x36mm CCD.

    http://www.dalsa.com/pi/products/productdetails.asp?ProductID=FTF4027C

    Dalsa makes the sensor in the Mamiya ZD

    Darrell, Feb 19, 2005
  12. Darrell

    Ron Hunter Guest

    It does to those who want to own the latest and greatest, even if they
    can't learn how to make good pictures with it before having to replace
    it with the next 'latest and greatest'. Grin.

    Ron Hunter, Feb 19, 2005
  13. Darrell

    Stacey Guest

    Unless the canon was 2MP larger then it would "blow away" the nikon!

    Stacey, Feb 19, 2005
  14. Darrell

    Mark² Guest

    What matters about it is how this jousting effects what is reasonably available to those
    invested in one system or the other.
    I'm invested in Canon, so what Nikon does is important to me to the extent that it pushes
    Canon farther forward, and prices down. I would benefit greatly from a full size,
    high-res sensor at a reasonable price. Nikon is helping to ensure Canon will offer this
    sooner rather than later.

    Mark², Feb 19, 2005
  15. Darrell

    Patrick Boch Guest

    I use Nikon....But...The Canon...350...looks good...The D-200 is way over
    priced....

    --
    ____________________________
    PATRICK//////////////////////////\\\\\\\\\\

    Patrick Boch, Feb 19, 2005
  16. Darrell

    George Guest

    You mean the "under 25" crowd? Gadget lust before they've gotten burned
    enough times to realize that they are paying double (they bear the brunt of
    the
    R&D and tooling costs) for 90 days bragging rights. But, it's OK by
    me...I'd
    rather have them squander THEIR money on covering the non-recurring
    engineering
    costs than me! <g>

    George

    George, Feb 20, 2005
  17. Darrell

    Annika1980 Guest

    Nikon will blow Canon away at PMA with a new DSLR using a soon-to-be-
    announced Sony 10.2 MP sensor.

    Annika1980, Feb 20, 2005
  18. Darrell

    Annika1980 Guest

    Oh sure, blame Sony!

    Annika1980, Feb 20, 2005
  19. Well, almost everybody buys Sony sensors for their digicam market, Canon
    included.

    Brian C. Baird, Feb 20, 2005
  20. Darrell

    Mark² Guest

    True, but that's never cutting edge, and therefore, not really at issue in the DSLR wars
    between Canon and Nikon. Nikon seems to have all but given up on the point-and-shoot
    digicam market that Canon is now dominating more and more.
    Canon's ability to create it's own state of the art DSLR sensors at an astounding rate is
    a real problem for Nikon.

    Mark², Feb 20, 2005