    see and relay that I'm going to pass on reading many of your posts
    because of the scrolling problem. It's not at all important that one
    person passes, but it might be important if others feel the same.

    Tony Cooper, Jun 28, 2013

  2. Tony Cooper

    PhotoPhartz Guest

    Yes. I too see Whiskey-dave's posts in the same malformed format that Tony
    does. I use XNews.

    <http://Xnews.newsguy.com>

    It's free. Doesn't even need to be installed. Just unzip it to a folder
    of your choice, set up your news server or servers, and run it. The
    version to get, if you decide to try it is the latest "Test" version at the
    upper left of the page at the link above.

    There's free newservers out there that are extremely simple to sign up for
    as well if you need to stop using Google - and you DO, even if you don't
    know it. Eternal September and AIOE being two right off the top of my
    head.

    If everybody that uses Google or Windows Live Mail would switch to any
    other newsreader what's left of usenet would be a much nicer place.

    PhotoPhartz, Jun 28, 2013

  3. Tony Cooper

    PeterN Guest

    I looked at Eternal September. I couldn't get it to show many groups,
    including this one. Yes, it's free, and well worth what they charge.

    PeterN, Jun 29, 2013
  4. Tony Cooper

    nospam Guest

    then you did something wrong.

    eternal-september obviously has this group, along with over 30,000
    others.

    nospam, Jun 29, 2013
  5. Tony Cooper

    David Taylor Guest

    On 29/06/2013 04:56, PeterN wrote:
    []
    You may need to sign up before the full list of groups is available.
    They carry some 30,000 non-binary groups. Very friendly, and very helpful.

    David Taylor, Jun 29, 2013
  6. Tony Cooper

    PeterN Guest

    I signed up, they sent me a confirmatory email and password. When I went
    online, all I got was a handful of groups, none of which I have any
    interest in. While free is great, I don't mind paying for convenience.

    PeterN, Jun 29, 2013
  7. Tony Cooper

    David Taylor Guest

    You've done something wrong, then. I see over 29,000 groups when I
    check. Perhaps you need to refresh the list?

    David Taylor, Jun 29, 2013
  8. Tony Cooper

    nospam Guest

    then you definitely did something wrong.

    nospam, Jun 29, 2013
  9. Tony Cooper

    nospam Guest

    then all he needs to do is read those 4.

    nospam, Jun 29, 2013
  10. Tony Cooper

    PhotoPhartz Guest

    I already had the full newsgroup list for Eternal September but today I
    used the "get new groups" option and now It's up to 30,450 groups,
    including this one.

    Not singling you out Peter, but it boggles my mind how all over usenet, all
    the groups I visit, some of the most prolific, argumentative, informative,
    whiney, helpful (among other things) posters can't manage to set up a
    simple newsreader on a simple newserver and make it work. They continue to
    force everybody else to scroll through 500 lines of indecipherable, badly
    formatted text to get to the bottom where they say "you did not" or "me
    to" or something equally brilliant.

    PhotoPhartz, Jun 30, 2013
  11. Tony Cooper

    PeterN Guest

    Thanks for your response.
    I use Thunderbird, tried it, and no groups appeared. I found a reader
    that works, so I'll pay a few bucks. Not worth futzing.

    PeterN, Jun 30, 2013
  12. Tony Cooper

    Whisky-dave Guest

    They explain how I can get googlegroups working, what simple things do I have to do.

    if thos epeole didn;lt complain about top post they wouldn't need to scrollthrough anything. Some can;t be truste4d to quote properly so that's why text is left in.And then there's those so called intelgent pople who can;t even parse a simple spelling mistake without creatign a new pragraph to complain about it.

    So allow TOP posting. ;-)

    Whisky-dave, Jul 1, 2013
  13. Tony Cooper

    PhotoPhartz Guest

    The above paragraph as you posted was all on one endless line. My
    newsreader fixed it while quoting it. Let's all just celebrate the simple
    spelling mistake.
    The other lost art is editing down the previous post to the parts you are
    actually responding to. As opposed to quoting the entire thread in every
    post. Top posting needn't be an issue if just the relevant parts are
    quoted. A real newsreader easily provides for this function.

    You might have asked something about getting Googolo to work. It doesn't.
    It can't. It won't. Sorry.

    PhotoPhartz, Jul 1, 2013
  14. Tony Cooper

    Whisky-dave Guest

    So is it that you prefer one endless line or do you prefer
    ~5 double spaced lines as I read it now.
    I do try to do that but most post are more than one subject or point to reply to.
    The newsreader is irrelivant to this point.

    doens't worry me.

    works reasonabley well for me.
    if fact when someone post from a proper newsreader all I see is two words
    that say "quoted test" doesn;t matter whether tehat test in one word or 100 paragraphs I don;t see it iunless I click on it.
    I think that is a better solution I have the same system in gmail too, it's very useful in that you only ever see that text if you click on it.

    Whisky-dave, Jul 2, 2013
  15. Tony Cooper

    David Taylor Guest

    On 29/06/2013 04:56, PeterN wrote:
    []
    As has already been mentioned, E-S /does/ carry this newsgroup, as well
    as some 30,000 others. I'm posting from E-S right now. You do need to
    register though. If you're having problems with E-S, they have a
    responsive support newsgroup.

    David Taylor, Jul 2, 2013
  16. Tony Cooper

    PhotoPhartz Guest

    So you just said that you can't read proper newsgroup posts with your
    current method. It's also obvious that you can't post in a manner that
    allows others to read your posts easily either. Yet you say it "works
    reasonabley well for me". How's that?

    Carry on . . .

    PhotoPhartz, Jul 2, 2013
  17. Tony Cooper

    Whisky-dave Guest

    Because it works reasonabley OK for me.
    Even though I dopn;t know what "Googolo" is .

    This isn't the only group I subscribe too either, I'm on a mMc group that doesn't appear to have problems, and a DIY group and a few others.

    Whisky-dave, Jul 3, 2013
  18. Tony Cooper

    PhotoPhartz Guest

    That's a simple (but intentional) spelling error. Those aren't a problem
    are they?
    The point you're missing is that usenet newsgroups are a text based medium.
    They are not a GUI/web broweser based "forum". Proper newsreaders format,
    quote, and thread messages properly for the usenet protocol. Googolo
    groups is a piss poor attempt at providing some kind of point and click
    graphical interface for usenet - which doesn't have one. It doesn't work.

    Over and out.

    PhotoPhartz, Jul 3, 2013
  19. Tony Cooper

    Whisky-dave Guest

    Intentional well surely you should check your intentions first.

    http://www.miniclip.com/players/en/card/?uid=19355179

    Now due to me having a working brain, I assumed this wasn't what you meant or what you are refering to.

    So are spelling erros even intentional one a probloem, not usually for me but it does seem for many on here (or is it a significant few) do have problems.
    Some even try to read between the lines and when they are blank they have a problem with them.

    Yes I know.
    I do not see this as a graphical interface for usenet.

    It's works for me and for others.
    It might not be the best, but I can live with it.

    Whisky-dave, Jul 4, 2013
  20. Tony Cooper

    Whisky-dave Guest

    Google is your friend typing in such a Q I get.

    https://plus.google.com/100024421130865116423/posts/Z3JsJFoiEQN

    Then join me on facebook or perhaps myspace.

    Whisky-dave, Jul 4, 2013