    It would be nice to have one on the wall, but not
    to buy a computer to feed it too.

    Roger

    Roger N. Clark (change username to rnclark), Oct 29, 2007

  2. Well, not a new one, unless a Mac mini. You could, if you have the room
    to hide it, buy an old box to run it, perhaps even barter for one.
    If you don't have the room, but do have the bucks, a Mac mini would of
    course do this, and more.

    John McWilliams, Oct 29, 2007

  3. Some of the portable storage devices have video out (the old (and slow)
    Epson P-2000 does). Unfortunately, presumably they'd only be VGA out at
    best, though. You'd want something higher resolution than that.

    If one of the newer ones had HDTV out you'd be home free with an HDTV
    monitor.

    David J. Littleboy
    Tokyo, Japan

    David J. Littleboy, Oct 29, 2007
  4. HDTV is too low of resolution. My 30-inch monitor is
    2560 x 1600 pixels, 4.1 megapixels. I've seen some
    20-inch digital picture frames, but they are only 1280x1024
    pixels! The problems with 2560x1600 pixels is that
    you need a modern computer with a very high end graphics
    card to drive it. At work we've been trying to add a
    graphics card that says it does that resolution into a
    3 year old computer and it does not do it well (strange
    bright pixels looks like hot pixels). And these cards need
    extra large power supplies with noisy fans, not what one
    wants in a quiet home or a gallery.

    I don't think what I want exists, yet.

    Roger

    Roger N. Clark (change username to rnclark), Oct 29, 2007
  5. It could be argued that compared to the price of a big high-res
    flatscreen, a small PC to drive a screensaver is a drop in the bucket.
    That's what we do where I work; there's a big plasma monitor out front
    showing various things, and it's driven by a Mac Mini hidden inside a
    cabinet.

    -dms

    Daniel Silevitch, Oct 29, 2007
  6. According to http://www.apple.com/macmini/specs.html , the current
    version of the Mini will drive a 1920x1200 pixel display via DVI. If
    you can live with that resolution, it's a nice quiet and compact box. If
    you really do need 2560x1600, then you're talking about dual-link DVI
    cards, which chew power like crazy, need to be fan-cooled, etc. Best
    solution there would be to custom-build a PC with an appropriate
    graphics card and do the best you can to sonically isolate it from the
    display area.

    -dms

    Daniel Silevitch, Oct 29, 2007
  7. A 30-inch 2560x1600 (4 megapixel) pixel LCD monitor is $1200.

    Rumor has it 8+ megapixel displays are coming soon.

    Roger

    Roger N. Clark (change username to rnclark), Oct 29, 2007

    Yuki Guest

    My 42" Phillips HDTV has an USB port. It can display JPG from a variety of USB
    devices, dongles, hard drives and card readers. Some video formats too.

    Resolution is 1920x1080.

    There are bigger models and I suppose other brands can do it too.

    Yuki, Oct 29, 2007
  9. David J Taylor, Oct 29, 2007
  10. John McWilliams, Oct 29, 2007

    Guest Guest

    and if you do get a mac, the new photo mosaic screen saver in leopard
    (10.5) is quite slick. point it at your library of images and let it
    run...

    Guest, Oct 29, 2007
  12. David,
    Thanks for the links. I guess that proves the rumor!
    I had actually heard of the IBM monitor, but didn't know
    any details. I would like my 9 megapixels in a larger screen.
    But we really need operating systems, graphics cards and
    lower prices to make this viable. I'm sure it will happen,
    just a matter of when. The rumor is next year, not that
    the rumor has any validity.

    Then when someone says, I only want digital images for
    display on my monitor, it takes on whole new requirements!

    Hope it comes soon.

    Roger

    Roger N. Clark (change username to rnclark), Oct 30, 2007
  13. Roger N. Clark (change username to rnclark) wrote:
    []
    Glad the pointers were of interest. As someone pointed out, they are 3
    years old.

    It's been interesting to follow cameras and monitors. At the time of my
    first digital camera in 1998, its resolution (1280 x 960) was in just
    excess of my monitors (1024 x 768). Although my monitors have been
    gradually creeping up in resolution and physical size (now to a 20-inch
    1600 x 1200), my cameras have always been ahead of them (now 3000 x 2000
    and 3072 x 2304).

    What surprises me slightly with displaying images on either my monitor
    (1600 x 1200) or my TV (1366 x 768) is just how good they look - somehow
    better than prints which are physically smaller, and yet have more pixels.
    Something about emitted versus reflected light which suits me!

    Cheers,
    David

    David J Taylor, Oct 30, 2007