LCD monitor specification black hole

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by SamSez, Jan 17, 2006.

  1. SamSez

    SamSez Guest

    While most LCD monitor specs list 'viewing angle', there seems to be a
    massive disconnect between vendors as to what that means.

    If it were simply a matter of intensity drop off, then it wouldn't be so
    much of an issue, and the angle numbers could simply be compared along
    with a grain of salt. But, in reality, it is often more a matter of
    color shift than drop off.

    At angles much less than claimed 'viewing angles', many LCDs seem to
    exhibit a marked color shift at one or both edges of the screen, while
    the center remains less affected. This color shift varies dramatically
    from vendor to vendor and model to model, even for displays with the same
    rated 'viewing angle'. To make matters worse, many stores displaying
    multiple monitors tend to cycle their displays through pictures with
    large areas of bold single primary, where, of course, a shift away from
    white is impossible to detect [perhaps intentionally?]. And too, this is
    a distance based effect, so if the store displays are further away than
    normal viewing distance, it is again difficult to see the problem till
    you have 'bought it' and you are trying to tweak the color balance on
    that important photo.

    Does anyone know of a website where anyone has attempted to rate various
    LCDs for their 'accurate color viewing angle'? Or recommend any specific
    LCDs that address this problem better than most? Thanks.

    [no email please]

    SamSez, Jan 17, 2006

  2. Totally agree.
    I haven't seen one. If you find one, please let us know.
    Take a look at the HP f2105. It's a 21" LCD with a resolution of
    1680x1050. The viewing angle is much better than many monitors I've
    seen, and the contrast is good as well. It not one the cheaper ones
    out there, though.

    =?iso-8859-1?Q?M=E5ns_Rullg=E5rd?=, Jan 17, 2006

  3. SamSez

    rafe b Guest

    It's either a serious problem or a not-so-serious problem.

    Depending on your point of view, of course.

    rafe b
    www.terrapinphoto.com

    rafe b, Jan 18, 2006
  4. SamSez

    Mark² Guest

    This is why you should never buy an LCD based on specs.
    You need to see it...and adjust it...in person.
    Also...In the stores, they RARELY have high-res monitors even running on
    their native resolution, which utterly destroys its rendition. Further, the
    brightness and contrast are set WAY too high at the factory...presumably in
    order to catch people's eye in the stores...where there are often 30
    monitors side-by-side.

    In other words... Don't believe the spec sheet until you see the screen
    with your own eyes...and even then, you've got to do some tweaking before
    you really know what a screen is capable of.

    -Mark

    Mark², Jan 18, 2006
  5. SamSez

    SamSez Guest

    a) the point of the post was to note that there is not even a spec that
    covers the issue.
    b) the problem is independent of 'adjustment'.
    c) resolution also has nothing to do with this problem.
    d) brightness and contrast have no effect on the problem as well, though,
    obviously, if the screen can't be seen, neither can the problem.
    e) there is no way I can 'see with my own eyes' even a reasonable
    selection of the monitors available [I've certainly never seen a store
    with 30 different lcd's side-by-side, and that's anywhere in the
    Phila/NYC strip], hence, the request if anyone or any review organization
    has compared monitors in regard to this problem -- a major problem
    affecting use for digital photography.

    SamSez, Jan 18, 2006
  6. SamSez

    Mark² Guest

    Have you ever heard of "adjusting the angle" on a monitor??
    That's perhaps the most basic "adjustment" there is!
    It goes something like this: You take your hand...and move the
    thing...something you can't do by reading reviews or ratings on the
    internet.
    If you can adjust the angle of a monitor via the internet, more power to ya!
    :)
    Did you note the word, "Also?"
    That was to introduce "other" sources of confusion people face when looking
    at LCD spec sheets, or when comparing them side-by-side.

    I chose to expand on what you said, and mention several similar problems
    facing people looking at LCD specs in general...who have trouble judging
    qualities of the screen. Viewing angle is only one piece of the problem.
    -Not sure why there's a problem is with that..

    This is a public forum, and there are many lurkers.
    If you wanted an answer that ONLY is helpful to YOU...then ask people to
    e-mail you privately.
    If, on the other hand, you realize that thousands of other folks read along
    around here...many of whom are also monitor-shopping...perhaps you won't get
    annoyed when mention is made of other issues worth considering during LCD
    selection.

    Mark², Jan 19, 2006
  7. SamSez

    SamSez Guest

    [foolish me, expecting an on-point reply.]

    SamSez, Jan 19, 2006
  8. SamSez

    Mark² Guest

    Have you always been an ass?

    Mark², Jan 19, 2006
  9. SamSez

    SamSez Guest

    Mark, I wouldn't even try to compete. It's much better to have replies
    like yours that completely confuse the original poster's question with
    totally unrelated 'hints' on monitor usage. What did I expect from
    netnews anyway.

    SamSez, Jan 19, 2006
  10. SamSez

    Mark² Guest

    I don't know what you expected, but what you're getting is an introduction
    to my klink file.
    Bye bye!

    Mark², Jan 19, 2006
  11. SamSez