LCD Monitor, Part II

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Magnusfarce, Mar 6, 2007.

  1. Magnusfarce

    Magnusfarce Guest

    This is a variation on the question I asked a few posts back, but different
    enough to warrant a new post. For a new monitor that I will use to some
    extent to work on digital photos (and some video, too), I'm looking at
    buying the ViewsonicVG2021, a 20 inch with 1400 x 1050 resolution, 500:1
    contrast and 8 ms response time. Probably not 8-bit color for $250. By
    comparison, the NEC Multisync LCD20WMG2 has considerably better specs (1680
    x 1050 resolution, 1600:1 contrast, 470 brightness) and carries a price tag
    about twice the Viewsonic.

    Question: What is the extra money buying me in terms of practical use?
    Will I see a noticeable difference when viewing or editing a higher res
    image off my DSLR? Or are displays like this useful only to higher end
    (pro) users? Thanks in advance for any help.

    - Magnusfarce

    P.S. I noticed that NEC doesn't even list response times for their
    monitors. Is this because they couldn't care less about gaming, and are
    aimed more at graphics?

    Magnusfarce, Mar 6, 2007

  2. Magnusfarce

    Wayne Guest

    accurate details and color not only rely on the specification.
    do a side by side comparison.

    Wayne, Mar 7, 2007