    no, the solution is to let people decide for themselves what the best
    way for them to conduct their financial transactions and not tell them
    what is best for them.

    Guest, Feb 22, 2012

  2. RichA

    tony cooper Guest

    I don't think you understand the US banking system. Direct bank
    transfers between people, or between people and businesses, are not
    available to many - if not most - US bank customers. Some banks allow
    it, but charge prohibitive fees.

    A "wire transfer" is expensive. Bank of America, for example, charges
    the customer $25 for an outgoing transfer and $12 for an incoming
    transfer for a domestic transaction. For international transfer, the
    fees are $45 and $16.

    A Credit Union that I use does not offer the service at all. Many
    Americans use a Credit Union and not a bank. Credit Unions offer most
    of the same services that banks do, but generally charge less in fees.

    In the past, a check or money order would have been the only way for
    me to send money to someone else in the US for no fee or a nominal
    fee. Now, I can do it with PayPal if they have a PayPal account.
    With PayPal, international transfers are also free and easy.

    Some banks provide certified checks (they can't bounce) for customers
    at no charge or at a nominal charge. Every bank seems to have a
    different policy on this.

    I'm quite aware that European practices are quite different.

    As far as the current situation here in the US with checks, in 2011 I
    wrote a grand total of three checks. That's fewer checks than I wrote
    in a week in, say, 2000. All of my routine bills are paid using my
    bank's online banking program. Online purchases are paid with PayPal.

    The three checks I wrote were to people like the man who came to
    repair my pool's screened-in enclosure. It's customary to pay someone
    like that when the job is completed, and the amount was more than I
    had cash-on-hand. And, I wanted a record of payment.
    Pancrea? That's neither a gland nor a remedy for all ills.

    nospam's practice of depositing checks using his phone may be useful
    to him, but it would not be useful enough to everyone to justify the
    expense of the type of phone required to this. nospam doesn't seem to
    understand that not everyone has the same requirements, and that if
    you don't embrace what he does you are technologically backwards.

    That screen repairman that I gave a check to would find the phone
    deposit system beneficial enough to justify the phone cost because he
    could receive two or more checks a day. The function doesn't appeal
    to me because I get two checks a month in addition to the amounts that
    are direct-deposited in my account and I would have to pay more for a
    phone that allows this app than I consider a worthwhile expense.

    We are not concerned about checks being "a good idea" because our
    banking system is different and we really don't have much choice. The
    options you have are not available to us.

    tony cooper, Feb 22, 2012

  3. RichA

    Guest Guest

    nobody said it was going to be useful for everyone and phones that can
    do it are becoming very common and for not much money either.
    i never said any such thing.

    what i take issue is outright rejection of new ways of doing things
    along with your insistence that it's just as easy to stop at the atm
    that i supposedly drive by every day (there isn't one).

    Guest, Feb 22, 2012
  4. RichA

    tony cooper Guest

    How can we do that? The European system offers some advantages that
    are not available to us. While I wouldn't call our system "stupid",
    it's fossilized compared to theirs.

    But how can we decide which to use? We have no influence over what
    the banks offer. We can't choose to use a similar system.

    Do you ever think things out before you write?

    Your phone check deposit app is no more than a work-around that offers
    some improvement for some people because our banks don't allow what
    European banks offer.

    tony cooper, Feb 22, 2012
  5. RichA

    Guest Guest

    i never said anything about what you or anyone else needs. i described
    a new way of depositing checks, one that i happen to find incredibly
    convenient, and you berated me for not doing it the same way you do,
    such as stopping at the atm i supposedly see every day.

    Guest, Feb 22, 2012
  6. RichA

    Guest Guest

    maybe so but short of moving to europe, that's the system you have.
    is there something stopping you from moving to where the banking system
    is more to your liking? or you can try to convince bank regulators to
    approve some changes. neither is impossible.
    yes i do. do you?
    it's not a workaround. it's a new feature for an existing system.

    Guest, Feb 22, 2012
  7. RichA

    tony cooper Guest

    I don't "berate" you for anything you do. My objections are based on
    what you say when you describe what you, and the mistakes and gross
    exaggerations you make in your comments.

    tony cooper, Feb 22, 2012
  8. RichA

    tony cooper Guest

    I'd be quite happy to make a reservation for nospam at the Foxconn
    worker's dormitory in Shenzhen. He won't get an entire room, but I
    can get him a bunk away from the window so he won't be disturbed by
    the falling bodies of suicides jumping from higher floors. He may
    have to share a room with several children who work long hours at low
    pay to assemble a product that is not made with the cheapest
    components.

    tony cooper, Feb 29, 2012
  9. RichA

    tony cooper Guest

    Ahh, well, then I feel much better. Since only a few suicides are by
    Apple production line slav..errr...workers, then the Apple working
    conditions must be just peachy.
    A patchwork of guilt, eh?
    Yes. The cheap component components must be kept on the high shelves
    where the children can't reach them.
    Yes, I know, Duck. I read. I haven't been on an airplane for some
    time, but I manage to stay plugged into current marketing facts.
    It's a good thing that the industry is not seeking to improve profit
    margins by outsourcing. I have this fear that it will end up
    circular: China will outsource to Malaysia, who will then outsource
    to Mexico, who will then outsource to China.

    tony cooper, Feb 29, 2012
  10. RichA

    Guest Guest

    they're peachier than what they would have without those jobs and the
    suicide rate at foxconn is lower than the national average in china.

    plus, apple is doing more to improve conditions than other companies
    who use foxconn, most of whom just sit idly by.

    Guest, Feb 29, 2012
  11. RichA

    Guest Guest

    he won't.

    Guest, Feb 29, 2012
  12. RichA

    tony cooper Guest

    tony cooper, Feb 29, 2012
  13. Say 5000 photos at 16 MPix, 14 bit. That's 140 GB --- not
    terribly much. You can probably compress it to ~80-90 GB.
    Sure, you won't find that in a prosumer camera today or next
    year ... but give it a couple of years ...

    -Wolfgang

    Wolfgang Weisselberg, Feb 29, 2012
  14. RichA

    Guest Guest

    it's what he does.

    Guest, Feb 29, 2012
  15. Basically you are saying you're living in the slum equivalent of
    the banking world: water taps at home are extremely expensive
    and available only to a few and getting water means walking to
    the water tank truck at it's business hours, enqueueing in a long
    line, waiting, paying and carrying the water home.

    And the grandiose iPhone thing? A central water tap with a pipe,
    so you don't have wait for the tank truck.

    Well, pardon me, using water taps in the kitchen, having a flush
    toilet and sink with tap water (even *hot* water is available) and
    a shower or bath with --- guess it --- water transported directly
    to the home and available heated as well has quite spoiled me, I
    cannot see the charms of a bank of central taps and having to carry
    water just as a positive state of affairs as, say, nospam does.

    If your banks charge high fees for basically basic anemities of
    a civilized world, you might need to revolt. For me the charges
    for a direct money transfer inside Europe are nil for electronic
    or phone submission and something like $2 if humans need to copy
    it from paper to the computer --- (monthly cost of the account
    is ~$7) or free if you have a ~$14/month account. Outside that
    it's quite a bit more costly, but I don't need that, credit
    cards and Paypal & co work quite nice for that.

    Panacea. Darn brain farts.
    Nospam doesn't understand that not everyone wants, needs or
    has use for an iPhone.
    As I said, you need to revolt. Throw the tea into the
    harbour and occupy Wall Street.

    It has been said that the US went straight from barbarism to
    decadence (without stopping for a while at civilisation), but I
    always thought decadence meant (among other things) easy things
    were easy.

    -Wolfgang

    Wolfgang Weisselberg, Feb 29, 2012
  16.
    Wolfgang Weisselberg, Mar 1, 2012
  17. Then again, the idea of paying a monthly fee for a bank account kind of
    appalls me; I haven't done it in all the years I've had accounts, which
    is well over 40.

    We're just userd to different things. I'd rathre like the ability to do
    electronic transfers easily, IF it were safe. Paypal started out as
    good for that, but they broke it quite early and it isn't any more,
    unfortunately.

    David Dyer-Bennet, Mar 2, 2012
  18. RichA

    tony cooper Guest

    I am certainly not a fan or defender of the US banking system, but the
    savvy consumer can avoid any bank charges or fees. My credit union
    offers all the services that a bank offers, I pay most bills by online
    "bill payer", some bills are paid by automatic withdrawal, and I can
    send personal payments with PayPal. The only banking fee I pay is the
    annual rental of a safety deposit box.

    tony cooper, Mar 2, 2012
  19. Of course, since the protestant work ethics (what you get and
    are is because you've been good/bad and thus deserve it) causes
    self hate in those who don't see themselves as successful and
    the self hate can be channelised onto those who have success
    (and are thus better in the eye of God).

    However, this mechanism doesn't depend on protestant work
    ethics ... it's present in katholic areas just as well.

    -Wolfgang

    Wolfgang Weisselberg, Mar 2, 2012
  20. OK, so how much do you pay your bank per month for
    everything?
    Additionally, PayPal isn't free. (The recipient doesn't get the
    full sum. This has to be factored into prices.)

    -Wolfgang

    Wolfgang Weisselberg, Mar 3, 2012