Lazy people and "smartphones" continue to erode P&S sales

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by RichA, Dec 24, 2011.

  1. RichA

    RichA Guest

    BBC:

    23 December 2011 Last updated at 09:35 ET
    Smartphones eat into low-end camera sales in US, study

    Smartphones are eating into sales of basic cameras and camcorders in
    the US, according to market researchers.

    The NPD Group said the point-and-shoot camera market sold 17% fewer
    units over the first 11 months of the year compared to the same period
    in 2010.

    It said the pocket camcorder market fell by 13% over the same period.

    Its online survey of adults and teenagers suggested users were also
    more likely to opt for their phone camera to take footage "on the
    fly".

    Respondents said they were more likely to opt for their smartphone,
    rather than a dedicated device, to take pictures or video of "fun,
    casual or spontaneous moments".

    However, smartphones were less likely to be used when it came to
    holiday snaps.
    SLR sales stay strong

    NPD's data also suggested that the total share of photos taken on a
    camera had fallen below the halfway point for the first time.

    The study suggested that 44% of photos were taken on a camera over the
    last year, down from 52% over the previous period.

    By contrast the share of photos taken with a smartphone rose to 27%
    from 17%.

    However, higher-end cameras appear to be immune from the rise of the
    smartphone - at least for now. NPD said 12% more detachable lens
    cameras - including SLRs - were sold over the last 11 months.

    It added that sales of cameras with a 10x zoom lens or greater rose by
    16%.

    "There is no doubt that the smartphone is becoming 'good enough' much
    of the time," said NPD's senior imaging analyst Liz Cutting.

    "But for important events, single purpose cameras or camcorders are
    still largely the device of choice."
    'Faff-free'

    Experts suggest the trend is in part due to the popularity of apps
    including Instagram, Twitter and Facebook which allow pictures to be
    uploaded to social networks immediately after they are taken.

    "When you combine the fact that smartphone camera quality has
    increased roughly 10-fold from where we were five years ago and the
    fact that we have all these apps and services that make it easy to
    host the photos, it makes it a no-brainer that we use them rather than
    dedicated devices with which there is a huge faff involved to get the
    footage online," said Chris Green, principal technology analyst at
    Davies Murphy Group Europe.

    Yahoo-owned Flickr's popular photo sharing site appears to confirm the
    point. Its statistics suggest that Apple's iPhone 4 is the most
    popular camera in its community.

    The next device in line is the Nikon D90 SLR camera, while the closest
    performing smartphone by another manufacturer is the HTC Evo 4G.

    RichA, Dec 24, 2011

  2. RichA

    MadHatter Guest

    Just out of curiosity, what makes them lazy? If their phones are a
    tool sufficient for their needs why should they carry another camera?
    Couldn't a large format photographer just as easily call SLR shooters
    lazy?

    MadHatter, Jan 15, 2012

  3. RichA

    Trevor Guest

    Wow, sounds like an expensive, power hungry magnifying glass to me.

    Trevor.

    Trevor, Jan 16, 2012
  4. Which offers a degree of magnification and image quality at least an
    order of magnitude above any optical magnifying glass, plus a host of
    other features useful to those with poor sight. Have you checked the
    prices of the very best optical magnifying glasses you can get? Sounds
    a good deal to me.

    Chris Malcolm, Jan 16, 2012
  5. RichA

    PeterN Guest

    Which is what many folk do. From what I see, the smart phone camera
    makes more people are enjoy photography. Except for the professionals,
    isn't personal enjoyment one of the big reasons people take pictures?

    PeterN, Jan 16, 2012
  6. Yes -- or else, it's a way to use the smartphone you actually have with
    you to accomplish something that in theory would be more efficiently
    accomplished by the magnifying glass you forgot to bring.

    David Dyer-Bennet, Jan 16, 2012
  7. RichA

    tony cooper Guest

    Every watch with a second hand I've ever owned has had that "app".

    My wife, a now-retired nurse, has never owned a watch without a second
    hand. No designer watch, no matter how stylish, has ever met with her
    approval to own.

    I once bought her a very nice, and expensive, wristwatch as a
    Christmas gift. It didn't have a second hand, but I thought she could
    wear it as a dress watch. I had to exchange it.

    tony cooper, Jan 16, 2012
  8. RichA

    Irwell Guest

    Why do the blood pressures read by nurses differ so much from
    doctors, at least in the 'Health Fair' at the Mall, they do.
    The quacks findings are always higher for me.

    Irwell, Jan 16, 2012
  9. RichA

    Trevor Guest

    It's amazing how non technical people think you simply need an 'app" to do
    anything, forgetting the sensors/interface are the real hardware, and the
    iphone simply adds a processor and display. In many cases the device can be
    made just as cheaply as a stand alone item rather than an iphone add-on.

    Trevor.

    Trevor, Jan 16, 2012
  10. RichA

    PeterN Guest

    She could always use the "one Mississippi" method. It worked great for
    me in the darkroom.

    PeterN, Jan 17, 2012
  11. RichA

    Guest Guest

    so you just pressed the watch to the person's skin and it directly read
    out the pulse? amazing! and to think all those years people did it the
    hard way by counting.

    no, your watch did not have any such app. *you* were the app, not the
    watch.

    fortunately, technology has advanced since then. not only can a
    smartphone measure one's pulse but it can measure many other things
    too, including blood sugar, and even alert a doctor should the
    measurements be outside of normal. did your watch do all of that?
    didn't think so.
    did she at least accept digital watches or was she analog-only?

    Guest, Jan 17, 2012
  12. RichA

    Guest Guest

    It's amazing how non technical people think you simply need an 'app" to do
    anything, forgetting the sensors/interface are the real hardware, and the
    iphone simply adds a processor and display. In many cases the device can be
    made just as cheaply as a stand alone item rather than an iphone add-on.[/QUOTE]

    it's amazing how many people resist advances in technology. why must
    one carry multiple devices or do it manually the way our ancestors did,
    when there's a perfectly capable device that slips into your pocket
    that can do it all a whole lot easier and a lot more accurately too?

    Guest, Jan 17, 2012
  13. RichA

    Trevor Guest

    I'm impressed a phone can do it now, for so many years diabetics have had to
    draw blood to do it. Or does the phone do that too?

    Trevor.

    Trevor, Jan 17, 2012
  14. RichA

    Trevor Guest

    Yes, sometimes the phone can do amazing things with only a simple "app", in
    which case I have no complaints. However other times you need to buy the
    actual device that makes the measurement and simply use the phone as a
    display, and that's an entirely different matter IMO.
    And I bet you have NO idea what the accuracy is in any case.

    Trevor.

    Trevor, Jan 17, 2012
  15. RichA

    Guest Guest

    Yes, sometimes the phone can do amazing things with only a simple "app", in
    which case I have no complaints. However other times you need to buy the
    actual device that makes the measurement and simply use the phone as a
    display, and that's an entirely different matter IMO.[/QUOTE]

    not really.
    do you know the accuracy of the devices sold today that don't require a
    smartphone? didn't think so.

    the medical stuff requires fda approval, so it's should be just as
    accurate, if not more so, than existing solutions.

    Guest, Jan 17, 2012
  16. RichA

    Guest Guest

    I'm impressed a phone can do it now, for so many years diabetics have had to
    draw blood to do it. Or does the phone do that too?[/QUOTE]

    you still have to do the pin prick (until they get non-invasive methods
    working well), but the phone can measure blood sugar, log it, and do
    all of the manual work that people had to do (and often neglected).

    here's one such device:
    <http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2012/01/video-ihealth-smart-glucometer/a
    ll/1>

    i remember reading about a normal watch that could measure blood sugar
    through sweat on your skin but i haven't heard anything about it in a
    few years.

    let's see your analog watch do this:
    <http://medgadget.com/2009/06/airstrip_telemetry_for_your_iphone.html>

    Guest, Jan 17, 2012
  17. Doctors are threatening. Nurses are not. What raises the
    blood pressure more?

    It's obvious, don't you think?

    -Wolfgang

    Wolfgang Weisselberg, Jan 17, 2012
  18. Is that needed?
    And is that indeed true?
    I usually don't check the prices for 13 meter diameter parabol
    mirror optics or even 1200mm f/5.6 lenses when looking for a
    35mm-sized 50mm lens. You seem to.

    BTW, the very best optical magnifying glass is quite more powerful
    than your iWhatever or smartsomethingorother. After all, the
    microscope's objective lens is nothing else and can enlarge
    100x (and that can be enlarged at least by another factor 10x).
    That means your 1mm³ will look like 1m² at the other end.

    Oh, and you'll probably want a tablet, because smartphone
    screens are ... well ... tiny.

    -Wolfgang

    Wolfgang Weisselberg, Jan 17, 2012
  19. [the usualy drivel, this time about [see subject]]
    They're unwilling to wet their glass plates themselves and
    carry 30+kg of gear with them for just a few shots.
    Because RichA (who doesn't even own a camera nor a
    smartphone) says so.
    Of course, but SLRs are in the happy middle ground. :)

    -Wolfgang

    Wolfgang Weisselberg, Jan 17, 2012
  20. RichA

    tony cooper Guest

    Fortunately, my wife has the training, skills, and intellectual
    ability to not need an app for this.
    Neither my wife nor I would ever wear a digital wristwatch. They have
    no style. I know, to you, "high style" is a pocket protector without
    an logo, but some of us have different views.

    tony cooper, Jan 17, 2012