    To do it, do we need a special IOS on the switch?

    Thank you,

    JMi

    Jean-Michel Kaiser, Dec 24, 2004

  2. Jean-Michel Kaiser

    olavarrm Guest

    In short the answer is YES. You need to use the EMI (layer 3) software
    for the 3550. Here is a sample of what switch 1 and 2 configs could be.

    switch1#
    Vlan 10
    ip address 192.168.10.2 255.255.255.240
    standby ip 192.168.10.1
    standby priority 120 preempt delay 300

    FastEthernet 0/0
    switchport mode access
    switchport access vlan 10

    switch2#
    Vlan 10
    ip address 192.168.10.3 255.255.255.240
    standby ip 192.168.10.1
    standby priority 110

    FastEthernet 0/0
    switchport mode access
    switchport access vlan 10

    You will need to set up a trunk between the two switches and allow vlan
    10 to pass over the trunk. I suggest that in such a small environment
    that you use VTP mode transparent and create the vlans on both
    switches. I also suggest that you set up an Etherchannel between the
    two switches so you can have additional redundancy.

    -M

    olavarrm, Dec 26, 2004

  3. By "stacking" do you mean clustering (using the switch cluster global
    configuration commands) or just two switches next to each other with a
    trunk port?
    certainly. The EMI software supports HSRP.
    The pix and router both speak OSPF, and it works well in fail-over
    situations. You would be better off running a routing protocol like OSPF
    rather than HSRP.

    __
    Daniel J McDonald, CCIE #2495, CNX
    Austin Network Design