Layer 3 Switch configuration (Netgear)

Discussion in 'Network Routers' started by FenderAxe, Dec 19, 2009.

  1. FenderAxe

    FenderAxe Guest

    Hi there --

    I have a Netgear 12 port Layer 3 switch and I'm hoping someone can assist
    me in configuring the switch, as I have no experience with this type of
    professional level IT hardware, although I do have understanding of many
    advanced networking technologies.

    Thus far I have configured the switch's IP address using a serial cable
    connection, and have also enabled the Web admin interface so that I don't
    have to use the serial cable connection.

    By default, the switch acts like a hub or L2 switch, which is to say that
    all devices connected to the switch can talk to each other.

    The switch is VLAN-aware and can be used with RADIUS (e.g. it is 802.1X
    capable.)

    My goal is to have the switch configured with four different subnets. I
    want one of the subnets totally isolated (i.e., no traffic is routed to the
    subnet or from the subnet by the switch except for traffic that
    originates on the subnet), with the switch port assigned an IP address that
    is the default gateway for the subnet.

    I've set this up successfully, so I have two subnets working: the default
    subnet that is connected to the rest of my LAN and the Internet, and one
    subnet that is isolated, where subnet members can only talk to each other.

    Now I would like to add two more subnets whose traffic is routed by the
    switch to other subnets, so that in the end there are three subnets that
    can talk to each other and the Internet, and one subnet that's isolated
    from all others for server app testing.

    The part I can't seem to figure out (due to really lousy Netgear
    documentation, shame on them) is how to set up new subnets whose traffic is
    routed to other subnets by the switch.

    If you can assist with that I will really appreciate it.

    FA

    FenderAxe, Dec 19, 2009

  2. FenderAxe

    Char Jackson Guest

    Layer 3 switch? What's the model number of your device? I'd love to
    look it up and learn more about it.

    Char Jackson, Dec 19, 2009

  3. FenderAxe

    FenderAxe Guest