    never had virus infection(s). There are thousands of posts relating JUST to
    Symantec's myriad of removal utilities (rnis, rnav, symclean, etc.) for
    their own products. What does that tell you?!

    techshare, Jan 2, 2004

  2. Ghost

    R.A.D. Guest

    Once more,I will say that if sought hard enough one could find,similar
    complaints about McAfee,but that is your software of choiceI need not say
    more.Credentials are Great but mean nothing when one makes a living selling
    a particular product,the other products always suck.And by the way I've been
    at my job for 18 years,but I still have an open mind.

    R.A.D., Jan 2, 2004

  3. Ghost

    R.A.D. Guest

    Did not take me long to find this,just goes to show it is all personal
    choice:
    Subject: mcafee installation and performance
    Original Format
    Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain
    Date: 2003-09-14 16:12:32 PST

    I had the same problem. Eventually I had to reinstall
    the software and OS. But that was harsh. You might
    try these techniques described at:
    http://ts.mcafeehelp.com/default.asp?
    siteID=1&cnrcheck=done&resolution=1024x768

    Manual Uninstall of McAfee VirusScan 7 (Windows XP)

    VirusScan 7.0 off of Windows XP.

    Log in as the Administrator

    Attempt an Automatic Uninstall

    Click on the Start button.
    Click on Control Panel. The Control Panel will then
    appear.
    Double click on the Add/Remove Programs icon. The
    Add/Remove Programs Properties dialog box will then
    appear.
    Locate McAfee VirusScan on the list of installed programs
    and single click on it so it is highlighted.
    Click the Add/Remove button.
    NOTE: If at any time you are prompted to remove shared
    files, answer Yes To All.
    Windows will then attempt to remove McAfee VirusScan from
    your computer. If McAfee VirusScan is successfully
    uninstalled you do not need to complete the remaining
    steps in this document. If you receive error messages or
    find that McAfee VirusScan was not completely removed
    then follow the steps below to manually remove the
    program.
    Run MSIEXEC to Attempt a Forced Uninstall

    Click on the Start button.
    Highlight Programs then click on RUN.
    Type in COMMAND
    Type the following commands into the keyboard:
    CD\
    CD C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32
    MsiExec.exe /X{E4DC62CE-5F95-11D6-B254-00C04FF4B435}
    exit
    If McAfee VirusScan is successfully uninstalled you do
    not need to complete the remaining steps in this
    document. If you receive error messages or find that
    McAfee VirusScan was not completely removed then follow
    the steps below to manually remove the program.
    Manually Removing McAfee VirusScan

    Backup the Registry

    Click here for instructions

    NOTE: The instructions in this document will guide you
    through deleting specific items from your computer. If
    you are instructed to delete an item that you cannot
    find, skip that step and continue with the next step.
    Some steps may not be applicable to your installation of
    VirusScan.

    Delete the Registry Keys

    NOTE: The following steps may be more easily followed if
    you close and reopen the Registry Editor between each
    step. To close the Registry Editor click the X in the top
    right corner of the Registry Editor window. To reopen the
    Registry Editor follow steps 1 - 3 in the 'Backup the
    Registry' section above.

    1. Open HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE-System-ControlSet001-Services
    and remove the McAfee related entries:

    Double click on HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE.
    Double click on System.
    Double click on ControlSet001.
    Double click on Services.
    Single click on AvSynMgr to highlight it then press the
    Delete key on the keyboard to remove this entry.
    Single click on McShield to highlight it then press the
    Delete key on the keyboard to remove this entry.
    Single click on NaiFiltr to highlight it then press the
    Delete key on the keyboard to remove this entry.
    2. Open HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE-System-CurrentControlSet-
    Services and remove the McAfee related entries:

    Click the minus (-) next to ControlSet001.
    Double click on CurrentControlSet.
    Double click on Services.
    Single click on AvSynMgr to highlight it then press the
    Delete key on the keyboard to remove this entry.
    Single click on McShield to highlight it then press the
    Delete key on the keyboard to remove this entry.
    Single click on NaiFiltr to highlight it then press the
    Delete key on the keyboard to remove this entry.
    3. Open HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE-Software-McAfee and remove the
    VirusScan entry:

    Scroll back up on the left side of the screen and click
    the minus next to SYSTEM.
    Double click on Software.
    Double click on McAfee.
    Single click on VirusScan so it is highlighted then press
    the Delete key on the keyboard to remove this entry.
    4. Open HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE-Software-Network Associates
    and remove ePolicy Orchestrator

    Double click on Network Associates. (If VirusScan is the
    only McAfee product on your machine, delete this folder
    and skip to step #6)
    Single click on ePolicy Orchestrator so it is highlighted
    then press the Delete key on the keyboard to remove this
    entry.
    5. Open HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE-Software-Network AssociatesTVD
    and remove VirusScan

    Double click on TVD.
    Single click on VirusScan so it is highlighted then press
    the Delete key on the keyboard to remove this entry.
    6. Open HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE-Software-Microsoft-Windows-
    CurrentVersion-Run and remove the related entries:

    Single click on the Run folder so it is highlighted.

    On the right side of the screen single click on
    AlogServEXE (or AlogServ if either exist) so it is
    highlighted then press the Delete key on the keyboard to
    remove this entry.
    On the right side of the screen single click on
    AvconsoleEXE (if it exists) so it is highlighted then
    press the Delete key on the keyboard to remove this
    entry.
    On the right side of the screen single click on
    Vshwin32EXE (if it exists) so it is highlighted then
    press the Delete key on the keyboard to remove this
    entry.
    On the right side of the screen single click on
    McAfee.InstantUpdater.Monitor (if it exists) so it is
    highlighted then press the Delete key on the keyboard to
    remove this entry.
    7. Open HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE-Software-Microsoft-Windows-
    CurrentVersion-Uninstall and remove {E4DC62CE-5F95-11D6-
    B254-00C04FF4B435}:

    Double click on Uninstall.
    Single click on {E4DC62CE-5F95-11D6-B254-00C04FF4B435} so
    it is highlighted then press the Delete key on the
    keyboard to remove this entry.
    8. Delete Hawk related entries:

    Scroll back to top on the left side of the screen.
    Double click on HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE.
    Double click on Software.
    Double click on Microsoft.
    Double click on Exchange.
    Double click on Client.
    Single click on Extensions so it is highlighted.
    On the right side of the screen single-click on Exchange
    Scan so it is highlighted then press the Delete key on
    the keyboard to remove this entry.
    9. Search the registry and remove all occurrences of
    EC26CD4E59F56D112B45000CF44F4B53:

    On the left side of the screen, single click on My
    Computer (located at the very top) so it is highlighted.
    Click on the Edit pull-down menu then click on Find. The
    Find dialog box will then appear.
    IMPORTANT: This set of characters is case sensitive. Be
    sure to type capital letters.
    Type the following into the Find What field:
    EC26CD4E59F56D112B45000CF44F4B53 (NOTE: The 0's are the
    number zero)
    Click the Find Next button.
    The computer will then search the registry. When an
    occurrence of EC26CD4E59F56D112B45000CF44F4B53 is found
    delete it, then press the F3 key on the keyboard to
    search again. Do this until you get a 'Finished Searching
    through the Registry' message.
    NOTE: You may find as many as 120 occurrences of
    EC26CD4E59F56D112B45000CF44F4B53 in the registry. They
    all need to be removed.

    10. Close the Registry Editor by clicking the X in the
    top right corner.

    Remove the McAfee VirusScan Shortcuts

    Click on the Start button.
    Click on All Programs.
    Locate the McAfee folder and double click on it so it is
    highlighted. (If VirusScan is the only McAfee program
    installed, delete this folder)
    Right click on McAfee VirusScan and choose delete.
    Close the Start Menu
    Delete the McAfee VirusScan Files

    Double click on the My Computer icon on the desktop.
    Double click on the C: drive.
    Double click on the Program Files folder.
    Double click on the McAfee folder.
    NOTE: If you do not have any other McAfee products
    installed, you may delete the entire McAfee folder.
    Single click on the McAfee VirusScan folder.
    Press the Delete key on the keyboard to delete this
    folder. Answer Yes to any prompts about deleting files or
    programs.
    Close all open windows until you are back on the desktop.
    Double click on the My Computer icon on the desktop.
    Double click on the C: drive.
    Double click on the Program Files folder.
    Double click on the Common Files folder.
    Single click on the Network Associates folder.
    Press the Delete key on the keyboard to delete this
    folder. Answer Yes to any prompts about deleting files or
    programs.
    Delete the Misc. McAfee Files

    Click on the Start button.
    Highlight Search then click on For Files or Folders. The
    Search dialog box will then appear.
    In the Named field type in Avsmcpa.cpl then click the
    Find Now button.
    The computer will then search for the file. When the file
    is found it will be displayed at the bottom of the dialog
    box.
    Once the file is found right-click on the small icon to
    the left of the file's name. A pop-up menu will appear.
    Left-click on Delete to delete the file. Answer Yes to
    any prompts about deleting the file.
    Repeat steps 3 - 6 for the following files: Avsmcpa.cpl,
    Avsmcpa.cpl.manifest, Avsmcpa.dll, naifsrec.sys.
    Once all of these files have been deleted close the Find
    Files dialog box by clicking the X in the top right
    corner.
    Reboot your computer. McAfee VirusScan 7 is now removed
    from your computer.

    R.A.D., Jan 2, 2004
  4. Ghost

    R.A.D. Guest

    1 more for the record,and there are many more,at this point I rest my case.
    From: me ()
    Subject: Re: WARNING - McAfee Virus Scan can Delete your E-mails

    Original Format
    Newsgroups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking,
    alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia, alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim,
    comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.flight-sim, demon.adverts, rec.video.desktop
    Date: 2001-12-07 11:16:35 PST

    I used to work for McAfee as an Antivirus Consultant and Expert, flying
    around the world
    installing, training and upkeeping McAfee products.
    Back then, McAfee had great products and had bought some great companies who
    also had great
    products! Some time, between after McAfee was purchased by NAI and before
    NAI dumped McAfee
    on their own again, something bad happened.
    They laid off tons of their top experts, NAI swallowed up allot of great
    McAfee network products,
    and McAfee's quality and company care and esteem went downhill.
    Now, McAfee pumps out some of the worst programmed crap I've ever seen.
    I used McAfee products until about six months ago when I noticed that their
    antivirus code had
    become fat, slow and for the first time, horribly buggy and disfunctional to
    the point of causing
    serious system problems. This was common of all antivirus programs back in
    the DOS days because their
    program was loaded in memory by DOS and their program would intercept all
    disk reads and writes and some
    programs wouldn't tolerate this and freak out and lose data if not simply
    freeze or more common back then,
    suddenly reboot.
    The same thing is happening now with McAfee in Windows. Their code really
    sucks now and has caused not only
    me but my wife's business and many other businesses allot of time and
    resources to find out that their software
    is to blame, and all of their recently coded products are just horrible
    running and functioning now.
    I now suggest that everyone buy Norton Antivirus 2002 or better, Norton
    Systemworks 2002 with comes free with
    Norton Internet Firewall. These programs and suites don't act up and never
    cause problems and best of all, work
    right and find all virus's of the past and the recent ones which have become
    rampant in the last month.
    I used to have 100% faith in McAfee, but now they do nothing but release
    junk.
    This is not from a disgruntled McAfee employee, but simply a person who is
    now ashamed of the company he worked
    for.

    R.A.D., Jan 2, 2004
  5. Ghost

    Ghost Guest

    Point being, if I may interject, is regardless of what works and what sux-
    if the boss says to use a specific title, that is the software used.
    PERIOD!

    The boss is the boss. Some bosses are good, some are not (just like
    employees). But when all is said and done, it is *MY* money on the line.
    *I* am the one that pays the bills and *I* am the one who pays the
    salaries. Therefore *I* make the final decisions, not an employee. When
    techshare is a boss, he can make the decisions.

    techshare has consistantly shown in here he knows everything there is to
    know about a whole lot of things and will not sway his opinion about
    anything. He will argue to the last dying breath. This does NOT make a
    good employee- nor does it make a good tech- but as he says, he has been
    at this for 10 years, so apparently he has nothing more to learn.

    I really do not mean to start bashing techshare here, as I have not really
    bashed him before for his posts. I usually just ignore him. But today he
    hit a still-raw nerve considering his apparent support for a man who
    sabotaged my equipment, cost me thousands upon thousands of dollars, and
    nearly put me out of business.

    techshare knows little about the industry, except perhaps his own small
    part of it and yet he consistantly tries to interject his ill-informed
    opinions on matters he knows little about.

    For anyone to make a statement about the employer getting what he deserved
    when an act of sabotaged occurred shows his true colors regarding
    employee-employer relationships. This is the kind of employee everyone
    should watch out for. This is the kind of employee that screws things up
    for everyone. This is the kind of employee that overly restrictive
    policies are put in place to guard against. This is the kind of employee
    that micro-managing bosses were born for- to watch over those employees
    that will not follow policies and then try to sabotage things.

    As far as I am concerned, techshare and those like him need to be removed
    from any kind of professional work since they are lack any real
    professionalism. Perhaps "You want fries with that?" is more appropriate
    for him and his kind.

    I did my part by removing at least one sabotuer who is now facing many
    years being someone's bitch in a cell. I find great solice in that fact
    alone considering the damage this guy did.

    Ghost, Jan 2, 2004
  6. Ghost

    R.A.D. Guest

    My Point exactly ,but you found the words for me

    R.A.D., Jan 2, 2004
  7. Ghost

    techshare Guest

    You put a lot of effort into trying to discredit my (MUCH shorter) posts.
    What makes you think I believe your story anyway?! I realize this group is
    filled with a bunch of numbskulls as "regular" posters (Kathy, Imhotech) ...
    but we aren't all a bunch of lemmings. Your story about this guy sounds
    pretty far out.

    AND

    You STILL haven't told us (despite all your whining) what you are paying.
    What are you paying for the talent you seek?! You can find a lot of
    crooks/jackoffs/whatever for $8-$10/hour. Just go to any shopping mall. They
    are there everyday stealing from the stores they work for (not all of them,
    but many of them do).

    Of course, your silly baseless insults have no effect on me. There are other
    qualified experienced people out there. The key difference between us and
    your "problem employees" is that we don't work for less than $12/hour unless
    that's the last job on earth that is available.

    PS. How do your personal problems relate in any way shape or form to A+,
    computers, consulting, or the business of fixing computers? Why not start
    alt.computers.ghost.b*tch?

    techshare, Jan 2, 2004
  8. Ghost

    techshare Guest

    OK, "Boss".

    Can you please explain this. How exactly would he be using a product you
    don't stock or sell? He used his own personal copy, and then uninstalled it
    or left it on the customer's machine?! As I've already stated before, it's
    pretty darn messy trying to scan computers with (at least McAfee) the "old
    fashion" way of using a disk or CD standalone. The McAfee "emergency" boot
    is useless as you have no updated definitions.

    techshare, Jan 2, 2004
  9. Ghost

    techshare Guest

    How dare you make such slanderous remarks about me as a professional?! You
    know nothing about my happy clients, my work as an employee, or me as a
    business owner. This post is nothing but tripe ... total tripe ... I should
    sue you.

    techshare, Jan 2, 2004
  10. Ghost

    R.A.D. Guest

    Jezuz,3 posts to respond to 1 ? Who knows? But then again no-one can even
    figure who you are responding too.

    R.A.D., Jan 2, 2004
  11. Ghost

    controlc Guest

    ] Ya know techshare... ever since you started posting in here I had taken a
    ] immediate dislike towards you. This just confirms my feelings about you.

    Ditto.

    controlc, Oom Gert se Kleuter
    - Unicyclist? I didn't see no unicyclict on the way down!?

    ]
    ] Ya know techshare... ever since you started posting in here I had taken a
    ] immediate dislike towards you. This just confirms my feelings about you.
    ]
    ] I bet you are a real pleasure as en employee- and in case you do not know
    ] it, that is extreme sarcasm.
    ]
    ] How you can feel that what he did was deserved proves to me you are the
    ] every bit the very same kind of dirtbag worthless employee he was, and you
    ] would not hesitate to sabotage your employer as well.
    ]
    ] I only hope when you do things like this, that your employer will have the
    ] evidence to put your ass in jail too. Then maybe you too can be married
    ] to some big hairy guy in your cell named Bubba!
    ]

    controlc, Jan 9, 2004