Latest on archival quality DVD?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Kompu Kid, Dec 28, 2007.

  1. Kompu Kid

    Kompu Kid Guest

    Hello All:

    I have been scouring the Internet for the past few weeks to determine
    what brand to use to archive some of my music that I transferred from
    my LP's.

    Most of the information that I found are several months old. I want
    to summarize what I've found so far and ask others opinions as to if
    anything has changed.

    Here they are:

    * Taiyo Yuden for inexpensive disks.

    * Some TDK, and Verbatim DVDs are made using Taiyo Yuden media.

    * The TDK DVDs sold in Cosco in bulk are not made with Taiyo Yuden
    media.

    * Rima DVDs are also made with Taiyo Yuden media.

    * MAN-A gold is the best and has the longest shelf life.

    * DVD+R 's better than DVD-R in terms of error correction, etc.

    Comments appreciated!

    Deguza

    Kompu Kid, Dec 28, 2007

  2. Kompu Kid

    ded Guest

    I've never heard of them
    Are they?
    Who told you that?
    The various discs are manufactured by many and far apart.
    The only issues are of compatibility, the hardware manufacturers
    release firmware updates to increase a burners compatibility
    with the ever expanding range of blank media.
    The only time an incompatibility cannot be altered is if you have
    a burner that is either "DVD+R" or "DVD-R", but all burners will
    burn both these days. If a burner is one type only it cannot be changed.
    If you're having a problem with a specific brand of discs then
    visit the support link of the burners OEM, download the latest
    firmware update for your burner.

    ded, Dec 28, 2007

  3. **The best are DVD-RAM disks. Any brand.

    Trevor Wilson

    Trevor Wilson, Dec 28, 2007
  4. I'm not contradicting you, but can you provide some supporting documents?

    Bob Morein
    (310) 237-6511

    Soundhaspriority, Dec 28, 2007
  5. **Certainly:

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DVD-RAM

    The cartridge type disks are particularly robust.

    Trevor Wilson

    Trevor Wilson, Dec 28, 2007
  6. "ded" wrote ...
    Taiyo Yuden for inexpensive disks.
    Taiyo-Yuden are probably the best manufacturers of
    optical discs on our particular planet.
    You can see an example of which manufactureres OEM for
    which labels on this page. Of course, it changes all the time,
    so this is a "snapshot" in time...
    http://www.digitalfaq.com/media/dvdmedia.htm
    Perhaps not today, but TDK has OEMed discs from T-Y
    in the past and nothing is stopping them from doing it in
    the future. That is one reason to avoid "label-only" vendors
    of discs. You never really know what you are getting from
    month to month. That is why I use Taiyo-Yuden exclusively.
    They make their own product, and they are consistently in
    the highest echelon of quality.

    Rima appears to *sell* Taiyo-Yuden beanded media.
    The issues of reliability and quality appear to be far bigger
    than "compatibility" IMHO.
    OTOH, new drives are so cheap, there's no reason to suffer
    with some old clunker.
    Or switch to a brand of discs known for consistent reliability.
    I use T-Y exclusively and I can't remember the last time
    I had any problem with discs I've distributed.

    Richard Crowley, Dec 28, 2007
  7. Please explain how you arrived at those conclusions.
    Both the "DVD-RAM is best" part, and the "any brand"
    part. Both statements seem very suspicious to me.

    Richard Crowley, Dec 28, 2007
  8. Kompu Kid

    olfart Guest

    But your DVD writer must support the DVD-RAM format

    olfart, Dec 28, 2007
  9. Kompu Kid

    ded Guest

    I may well be wrong, but the thread seems to me, to have
    evolved, or maybe intended, to plug a particular brand of discs?
    The thread has a "distributor" of said brand now posting!
    I'll get my coat and move onto another thread.....

    ded, Dec 28, 2007
  10. Kompu Kid

    Jim Guest

    Taiyo Yuden have consistently been proven in tests to be the DVD of choice
    with Verbatim coming in a close second.
    Not sure where you got the info they are for 'inexpensive disks.'

    Jim, Dec 28, 2007
  11. Kompu Kid

    Scott Dorsey Guest

    Also, realize that NONE of these media are intended for archival purposes,
    and odds are pretty good the original LPs will outlast any DVD-R dubs you
    may make.
    --scott

    Scott Dorsey, Dec 28, 2007
  12. Interesting. Here in the U.S., DVD-RAM has very little presence, and the
    media costs are very high. I understand it is more widely used elsewhere.

    Bob Morein
    (310) 237-6511

    Soundhaspriority, Dec 28, 2007
  13. Kompu Kid

    Mr.T Guest

    Here's my take. Keep the LP's make CDR dubs for listening to. Why are DVDR's
    necessary at all?

    MrT.

    Mr.T, Dec 28, 2007
  14. **ALL my writers support DVD-RAM. I refuse to buy one which does not.

    Trevor Wilson

    Trevor Wilson, Dec 28, 2007
  15. **Media runs to around AUS$3.00 per disk (non-cartridge type). A lot more
    expensive than other media. Cheap, for peace of mind though.

    Trevor Wilson

    Trevor Wilson, Dec 28, 2007
  16. **Why? DVD-RAM disks are all manufactured to the same standards. The theory
    behind the operation of the disks allows for very robust error correction
    systems. DVD-RAM disks operate more like hard drives. They can be re-written
    many thousands of times (FWIW).

    A simple explanation is available here:

    Trevor Wilson, Dec 28, 2007
  17. Kompu Kid

    Stan Brown Guest

    That really calls into question *anything* you might say on media and
    related subjects.

    Taiyo Yuden have been well known for years, in the newsgroups and on
    the Web, as providing the best quality, and in fact just about the
    only consistently reliable quality.

    If you've "never heard of them" ....

    Stan Brown, Dec 28, 2007
  18. You must be kidding. All optical discs are theoretically "manufactured
    to the same standards". Yet there are certain brands that are practically
    guaranteed coasters, while other brands are notable for extremely
    low failure rates. All "manufactured to the same standards."
    It was practically an orphan format from the moment of conception.
    DVD-data format uses similar "robust error correction systems".

    Richard Crowley, Dec 29, 2007
  19. Kompu Kid

    Daniel Cohen Guest

    I wonder if there is a UK/US difference here.

    I have never come across Taiyo-Yuden disks at the various UK sites I
    have looked at for disks.

    I have come across (and they are what I buy) other brands, such as
    Verbatim, who use TY dyes.

    Daniel Cohen, Dec 29, 2007
  20. do not use any optical media for archiving!!!
    use hard drives, then migrate the files when and as needed!!!

    audioaesthetic, Dec 29, 2007