Lastolite Ezybalance - the white side doesn't look white

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Peabody, Nov 14, 2011.

  1. Peabody

    Bruce Guest

    You seem to think that everyone should think and act the way you do.
    I'm sorry, but that ain't gonna happen.

    I shoot RAW + JPEG for one simple reason. It is foolproof, and
    because I make at least as many mistakes as an average human being,
    and I make my living from my trade, keeping mistakes to a minimum
    makes good financial sense. I know that RAW + JPEG satisfies every
    situation I might find myself in, so that's what I do. The last thing
    I want on a shoot is to have to remember to do something that I don't
    actually need to do.

    People who like playing with their toys may take a different view. and
    that's fine. But I don't like them telling me what I should, or
    shouldn't do, when my income depends on what I do, and theirs patently
    does not.

    For example, I recently sold my Canon Powershot G9. When I bought
    that camera, I set it to RAW + JPEG on the first day. When I sold it,
    I reset it to JPEG only and told the buyer, who hasn't yet learnt
    about RAW. For the whole time I owned that camera, it was set to RAW
    + JPEG. No chance of a mistake.

    The same is true of my Nikon D3 and D7000 and my Kodak DCS Pro 14n.
    All set to RAW + JPEG for every day that I have owned them. They are
    all about to be sold, so I changed them to JPEG only last week.

    I cannot see any logic whatsoever in changing settings from day to day
    or shot to shot. Shooting RAW + JPEG costs me nothing and guarantees
    that every shot has a RAW file and a JEPG file. Whether I need RAW or
    JEPG or both, what I need is always there. Why risk that by changing
    settings?

    If you want to play with your toys, that's fine by me. They are your
    toys, so you can play with them exactly how you want. You can make as
    many mistakes as you like, and none of it matters to anyone except
    you. That's just one of the many differences between doing it for fun
    and doing it to make a living.

    Bruce, Nov 18, 2011

  2. Peabody

    tony cooper Guest

    That's exactly the opposite of my thinking. I follow my system
    despite people like you telling me that I'm doing things wrong. I
    don't advocate that others do what I do. You're the one who keeps
    telling me I should be doing it your way and that what I'm doing is
    wrong.

    Examine my posts and you will not find where I've said that *you*, or
    anyone else, should be shooting jpg-only in some situations and RAW in
    others. You'll only find that I've said that this works for me and I
    see no reason to change.

    Besides, I wouldn't be comfortable taking photographic advice from
    you. You claim to take photographs, but like Moth Boy, we've never
    seen any proof you actually take anything more than a snapshot.

    tony cooper, Nov 18, 2011

  3. My reaction at that point is "why mess with a jpeg when I have the RAW
    file?". The tools are much more powerful. And my workflow is set up
    for big numbers of files, whether raw or jpeg, flowing through, it
    handles hundreds of raw files very comfortably.

    David Dyer-Bennet, Nov 18, 2011
  4. Yep, that's true. It's one of the less-mentioned big advantages of
    digital. Also I first owned multiple bodies primarily so I could have
    two kinds of film available at once. (A pro would have needed multiples
    for backups, of course, but that wasn't me generally.)
    I can't force you to see the obvious truth of my position :).
    Seriously, yours is rational enough, I'll try to remember not to bug you
    about it in future.

    David Dyer-Bennet, Nov 18, 2011
  5. Yes, in the end that is exactly the case.

    David Dyer-Bennet, Nov 18, 2011
  6. Ah. Okay, makes enough sense. I've been actively avoiding using the
    file system aspect of Bibble Pro, since I've already got my collection
    indexed by Thumbs Plus.

    Learning Bibble was a considerable step from Photoshop, but I'm very
    very glad I made it. (I believe LR and Bibble have rather similar
    feature sets.)
    In fact I looked at that yesterday, after my previous comment. Nicely
    done, better than most of my work in that area (mostly for ebay when I'm
    selling stuff, which I probably take too casually; I've also done
    jewelry shots for a friend who makes lots).
    I tend to forget how differently some people shoot. I've always been a
    "does some of everything" (not necessarily every month) type of
    photographer, there isn't very much I've never played with.
    Fair cop. Apologies.

    David Dyer-Bennet, Nov 18, 2011
  7. Peabody

    Bruce Guest

    Then you obviously have a habit of saying precisely the opposite of
    what you think. You obviously enjoy arguing, so perhaps that is just
    a very productive way of generating arguments.

    Bruce, Nov 18, 2011
  8. Peabody

    tony cooper Guest

    If so, then point to where in any of my posts I've advocated that
    someone else do what I do in this area. Or, where I've said that what
    someone else is doing in this area is the wrong way to do it.

    If I make the statement "I don't always shoot in the RAW mode", that
    is not a suggestion that others do the same. If I say "I don't think
    shooting RAW is always necessary", that's an opinion and not a mandate
    offered to others.
    Coming from a guy who enjoys saying that all photographs presented by
    other posters in this group are "crap", but a guy who won't put his
    money where is mouth is and demonstrate that what he shoots isn't
    "crap", that's funny.

    tony cooper, Nov 18, 2011
  9. Peabody

    Bruce Guest

    I can understand why you don't bother with JPEGs. The reason I shoot
    both is so I always have the option. An example of why I would need a
    JPEG is that my customers don't necessarily understand RAW or have the
    facility to view RAW files. Sometimes, for example shots for a
    newspaper, magazine or newsletter, a JPEG is more than good enough.

    So I shoot both, all the time. I don't have to think whether I will
    need RAW, JPEG or both. It is one less thing to think about when
    there are far more important things to think about, such as how to
    satisfy a client's needs when he/she/they don't even know what those
    needs are. The worst thing would be to find out, afterwards, that I
    had not shot the type of file I needed.

    Given the ease and peace of mind that this provides, I asked Tony
    Cooper why he hadn't considered doing the same. I thought I was
    offering a helpful suggestion. However he thinks I was telling him
    what to do, when all I was doing was suggesting a possible way to
    making life easier.

    I suppose it proves that you cannot have a discussion with someone who
    is fundamentally confrontational. You can only have an argument. ;-)

    Bruce, Nov 18, 2011
  10. Peabody

    Bruce Guest

    <yawn>

    Your confrontational style is obvious in every thread you participate
    in. It is impossible for anyone here to have a discussion with you,
    only an argument. You're going to have to find someone else to argue
    with, I'm just not interested.

    I had you in my kill file for what must have been years. That's
    obviously the best place for you.

    Bruce, Nov 18, 2011
  11. I almost always *deliver* jpegs.
    Oh, you're saying you don't do post-processing?

    I started in the darkroom. Good printing is half the job. A straight
    out-of-the-camera jpeg isn't showing my photos in the best light.
    Delivering that would, by my standards, be doing a half-assed job.
    I *was* confrontational with him, and he's mostly backed off to
    discussion in the areas where I wasn't poking him with a stick.

    David Dyer-Bennet, Nov 18, 2011
  12. Peabody

    Bruce Guest

    If only!

    When the client wants, or is only prepared to pay for, a half-assed
    job, that is what you deliver. When someone else is paying, I don't
    set the standards. Unfortunately.

    I'm still in the darkroom. There is a ready market for hand printed
    black and white images.

    ;-)

    Bruce, Nov 18, 2011
  13. Peabody

    PeterN Guest

    On 11/18/2011 12:02 PM, David Dyer-Bennet wrote:
    <snip>

    At the risk of being accused of thread drift, I poked around your photo
    site.
    IMHO your your macro shots were quite enjoyable. They show a nice sense
    of abstraction. They are far from routine.
    Please keep up that work

    PeterN, Nov 18, 2011
  14. You always set the standards. In that what leaves your hands is under
    our control.

    Not trying to make my living at this, which makes it much easier to say
    that.

    I see pros arguing that you sound never do half-assed work, though,
    because somebody might see it.
    Never did get a darkroom into this house, though I still have the
    equipment. Dunno if I'm good enough to do custom printing commercially
    (actually, the question is more likely to be if I'm fast enough).

    David Dyer-Bennet, Nov 18, 2011
  15. Thank you. Those seems to be the ones that consistently get the best
    reactions.

    David Dyer-Bennet, Nov 18, 2011
  16. Reflectors sometimes use a warm white since it is more flattering for skin
    tones. I have a lastolite that is white one side and pale gold the other
    for this purpose.

    Gordon Freeman, Nov 19, 2011
  17. Peabody

    tony cooper Guest

    Oh, please! Not that! The Comfy Chair, maybe, but not the Kill File.

    How will I know when I'm doing everything wrong without you to guide
    me?

    tony cooper, Nov 19, 2011
  18. Peabody

    Bruce Guest

    Only in an ideal world. It isn't under your control if the client
    rejects it and insists you provide what he/she wants. I suppose you
    could walk away if it compromised your standards. I cannot afford to
    walk away. It is difficult enough to find paying work as it is.

    Of course. I was an idealist once.

    I don't get credited so it isn't a problem. Some of my worst work has
    resulted in repeat business and new business via recommendations. ;-)

    I built a simple darkroom in the attic (roof space) but it was
    unpleasantly hot in summer and cold in winter. Plus, dust was a
    problem. So I got together with 3 friends and we built a studio with
    a darkroom. Split four ways, the cost to each of us was surprisingly
    low. The studio brings in a steady income - we rent it out when we
    aren't using it.

    Bruce, Nov 19, 2011
  19. Peabody

    PeterN Guest

    Please don't throw me in the briar patch.

    PeterN, Nov 20, 2011