    cleanly, sometimes the prints are 'dirty' and sometimes almost black. I
    would like to know more about printer servicing and need a manual but these
    seem thin on the ground. Can anyone recommend one?

    M, Jul 16, 2007

  2. Not sure about the manual, but it sounds like your fuser is having
    difficulties. You can get replacement fusers, but a replacement printer
    is normally a better idea.

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Jul 16, 2007

  3. M

    Kraftee Guest

    Thats for definite looking at the way the prices have dropped, it's
    hardly worth buying toner cartridges as it almost as expensive as
    buying a new printer with more modern/better features than your older
    model

    Kraftee, Jul 16, 2007
  4. M

    Fred Kasner Guest

    I had a lovely Epson EPL 7000 that ran for several years with refilling
    the toner cartridge. After such time it started to leak toner from the
    cartridge so I replaced the cartridge with another one that I had. That
    worked for another year. Then it started to print badly and leave
    streaks along the side of the paper. I took out the cartridge to see if
    it was leaking. Not so. It looked like it needed a new drum and fuser.
    The drum alone would have cost $250. End of use of that laser. Too bad
    because it could store many kinds of font sets including one that worked
    with my scientific word processor. That processor was almost as
    versatile as running Tex (although not as beautiful in product.) I
    struggle along with Word and its equation editor now and a cheap B&W
    laser (a lot less than the price of the first one or even its
    replacement parts.)
    FK

    Fred Kasner, Jul 16, 2007
  5. Fred Kasner wrote:
    My first printer of any sort was a LaserJet IIp, which along with extra
    memeory and the Postscript cartridge cost me about $1,400. My latest
    Laserjet, which is far superior in most respects cost about $150. But
    one good thing to say about that IIp, I thought I'd never wear it out.
    Damn thing ran and ran ...

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Jul 16, 2007
  6. M

    Plato Guest

    The HP 2P was one of the best printers ever made....

    Plato, Jul 17, 2007
  7. M

    thanatoid Guest

    From my experience, the only maintenance they need is to have a
    dust cover on them when not in use.

    My guess would be you are using a recycled cartridge.

    AFA manuals, almost everything can be found by inputting make,
    model# and the word "manual" in Google. MANY sites make you pay
    for the manual DL's (or actual copies mailed) but there are
    several, including a Brazilian site IIRC, which are free.

    thanatoid, Jul 17, 2007