    google groups to view, is everyone else seeing these as well? Is there
    something wrong with the Usenet?

    -Josh

    Josh, Feb 5, 2005

  2. Josh

    Skip M Guest

    No, there's an idiot (troll is too nice) who is trying to disrupt this and a
    couple of other newsgroups, posting under faked names. The quantity of
    replies to these clogs the groups. The only thing wrong with the 'net is
    some of the juvenile minds allowed to use it under cover of anonymity and
    Google.

    Skip M, Feb 5, 2005

  3. Josh

    TAFKAB Guest

    These are common troll posts. Just ignore them, and delete them. Eventually,
    the imbecile who's attempting to disrupt the NG will go away.

    TAFKAB, Feb 5, 2005
  4. Everything's wrong with Usenet, and has been since the jump up to 24 K
    baud rates.

    Posting from Google makes it really wrong, and there's no hope for
    anyone who does that.

    A more serious answer would suggest one look to a couple of odd balls
    who crave peculiar attention.

    But you knew that, didn't you?

    <s>

    John McWilliams, Feb 5, 2005
  5. SNIP
    No, but I suggest ignoring those trolls.

    Bart

    Bart van der Wolf, Feb 5, 2005
  6. Skip M commented courteously ...
    I think it is multiple idiots, as in some of the totally
    OT political crap that goes on.

    But, there are also long, winding threads that evolve
    (devolve) over time that started as an on-topic post and
    soon people go off into the tall weeds.

    I use Xnews on broadband so I'm not much bothered by time
    constraints. I find a "real" news reader running NNTP
    instead of Google works better for me. What I can't get
    rid of, though, is when an on-topic thread goes to off-
    topic. I have to keep looking to see if more "on" stuff
    has been added.

    Another factor which affects how people see this and other
    NGs, is the debate over top-posting vs. bottom posting,
    and readers who don't snip out all the irrelevant crap to
    leave just what they're replying to. That results in
    really long replies to replies to replies.

    Just my opinion, YMMV!

    All Things Mopar, Feb 5, 2005
  7. Bart van der Wolf commented courteously ...
    And, Bart, we've all been guilty in the past of feeding
    the trolls, which is what they thrive on. This thread
    isn't troll related (yet) but I'll bet that its another
    one that'll go on for hundreds of replies as everyone,
    like me, asserts their ideas.

    I have a Cyber friend on alt.binaries.pictures.autos who
    proclaims in his sig "I don't feed trolls, I feed ON
    trolls!". I agree with that but don't know a good way of
    doing it! <grin>

    All Things Mopar, Feb 5, 2005
  8. Josh

    carver33 Guest

    The original posters are known as Trolls. They are trolling for some
    form of recognition which I assume is otherwise lacking in their
    otherwise pathetic lives. I have most of these killfiled and don't see
    the original files.

    The responders are Troll feeders. I think this group is comprised of
    several different types, among them are:

    Those who can't resist "showing up" the troll, thus playing directly
    into their hands.

    Those who are clueless, and really think they are responding to a
    serious individual.

    and I often wonder if there isn't a sub-group of Trolls who feed other
    Trolls in order to maximize the disruption. - among other reasons.

    I usually don't block the responders (unless I note that their major
    contribution is Troll feeding), so I still see the aftermath.

    In newsgroups where Trolls are routinely ignored, they usually go away
    farily quickly. If people would learn to ignore the obvious off topic
    and inflamitory posts, the Trolls would quickly wither away and die.

    My $.02 worth
    Bill

    carver33, Feb 5, 2005
  9. Josh

    Ron Hunter Guest

    All seem to be posted by one idiot spammer. May she rot in hell.
    DON'T FEED THE TROLLS!

    Ron Hunter, Feb 5, 2005
  10. Josh

    C J Campbell Guest

    That would include the sock puppets -- the same troll responding to his own
    posts under different names. This particular troll has gone from talking to
    himself, to arguing with himself, and now to losing arguments with himself.
    Clearly insane and possibly dangerous.

    C J Campbell, Feb 5, 2005
  11. Josh

    Paul H. Guest

    I'm just surprised no one has posted a message with the topic line
    "Enfamil-engorged Bush feeds Lasagna to Dogs! On Purpose!"

    Paul H., Feb 5, 2005
  12. Josh

    Nostrobino Guest

    Nothing wrong with Usenet, but some jerk is posting to other (on-topic)
    newsgroups and setting the follow-ups to rec.photo.digital (and 35mm), so
    any replies come here. A Google search shows that, for example, the original
    lasagna post was in rec.food.baking and other related newsgroups.
    Undoubtedly the original posts are under forged names as well. Just another
    troll with too much time on its hands.

    N.

    Nostrobino, Feb 7, 2005
  13. Josh

    Nostrobino Guest

    By "she" you seem to be assuming that it really is Lisa Horton who placed
    the original posts. I think this is extremely unlikely.

    Right, but name-forging trolls should be exposed for what they are. There
    have been many such attacks of this type recently on Lewis Lang, and now it
    looks like Lisa Horton is getting hers.

    N.

    Nostrobino, Feb 7, 2005