largest size print from raw image ?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by REED BOXIN, Nov 8, 2004.

  1. REED BOXIN

    REED BOXIN Guest

    i got a nice group shot of my nephew and a few of his friends on the side line
    of there football game 2 weeks ago.
    i would like to have it printed out the biggest size print possible where it
    would still look good .

    as a full size raw image @ 16 bit the file size as a tiff is 38 mb , @ 8 bit it
    can be saved as 2-3 mb jpeg .
    the link below is the jpeg down to 72 res .

    ive printed it out @ sams club as an 8x0 and it looks great .

    anyone recamend a place for big prints ? and way to go about it, send large
    tiff on cd?

    constructive comments welcome on the picture

    http://public.fotki.com/IRISHGENE/team_picture/img_4678low_res_team_pic.html#

    thanks.
    gene

    REED BOXIN, Nov 8, 2004

  2. Well....we need to know the number of pixels to be more precise...and a lot
    depends on how its printed, how good your eyes are, and how high your
    standards...but it looks like about a 5 mp camera so you should be happy
    with an 11x14...with the use of a product like Genuine Fractals or using
    other techniques you could even get a decent poster.

    Gene Palmiter, Nov 8, 2004

  3. While there are rules for this, then tend to fall apart at about 11x14.
    People don't look at a 30x40 print as closely as they do a 4x6 so you can
    have a much lower pixel count at the larger sizes. Try making one 8x10 foot
    and you will see what I mean.

    Joseph Meehan, Nov 8, 2004
  4. REED BOXIN

    Arthur Small Guest

    http://bigphotohelp.com/

    I do not know if they will use RAW. Send best quality JPG and they will tell
    you if the size you want will do.

    Arthur Small, Nov 8, 2004
  5. REED BOXIN

    Savidge4 Guest

    i got a nice group shot of my nephew and a few of his friends on the side

    Gene,

    I am so tired of hearing that you cant get good looking large images from 6 mp
    cameras. I am going to go ahead and put my money were my mouth is Heres the
    deal. I will give you a
    FREE 24x36 dye print from your Jpeg file. (I am assuming it is 2000x3000
    resolution roughly)

    All i need is your file e-mailed to me, and your address and I will send it out
    the next day for sure.

    In return for this I would like you to come back and post about the qualty..
    sound fair?

    Hope that Helps!

    Savidge4, Nov 9, 2004