Large flat panel tv monitor as PC monitor

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Ed, Oct 22, 2006.

  1. Ed

    Ed Guest

    Is it possible ?
    Ed, Oct 22, 2006
    1. Advertisements

  2. Ed

    Evan Platt Guest


    Depends on a number of factors - what input options you have on the
    TV, and getting signal from the computer to the device.
    Evan Platt, Oct 22, 2006
    1. Advertisements

  3. Ed

    Ed Guest

    So I should look for a model with SVGA input and that should do it ?

    Ed, Oct 22, 2006
  4. Ed

    ProfGene Guest

    Unless it is high definition you will not get as good a picture because
    a computer monitor has more pixels per square inch than a regular TV set
    so the picture will not be as sharp.
    ProfGene, Oct 22, 2006
  5. Ed

    Alan Guest

    Look for one that has a VGA input - or better yet, a DVI connector (You
    may need to upgrade your video card for that)
    Alan, Oct 22, 2006
  6. Ed

    why? Guest

    Yes, simply if you buy one with DVI-D / RGB, the 28" Hitachi here does
    1024x768 on DVI-D (the book does mention 1920x1080i 60Hz)and Analog VESA
    1600x1200 (appears to be interlaced) 85Hz and the expected WXGA

    You really need to read the manual of any panel you are interested

    why?, Oct 22, 2006
  7. Ed

    Ron Martell Guest

    You will want to get a TV that has computer video inputs, either a VGA
    or DVI connector or both.

    For best resolution and clarity the TV should support the 1080p video
    standard. 1080i is reasonably good second best.

    Our local Sears store has a 42 inch LCD TV connected as a second
    monitor to their sales floor PC and they regularly use it to show
    customers items from the Sears online shopping website.

    Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    Microsoft MVP (1997 - 2006)
    On-Line Help Computer Service
    Syberfix Remote Computer Repair

    "Anyone who thinks that they are too small to make a difference
    has never been in bed with a mosquito."
    Ron Martell, Oct 23, 2006
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments (here). After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.