    them. A kettle or a vacuum cleaner, maybe ...

    -P.[/QUOTE]

    Yes but Stationery Warehouse, is the same shop..?

    Frank Williams, Jan 28, 2013

  2. As it happens I ended up buying a Samsung one from Stationery Warehouse,
    they had the best price of the lot.
    The first one I got had a busted key in the numpad (was sometimes
    spamming 7s, other times the key would not respond) and they changed it
    for another one without giving me any grief. Very friendly service, I
    was pleasantly surprised.

    Lemmings, I believe, has recently been swallowed by the Red Sheds
    already! Heh. And yes, I was very hesitant about buying a computer from
    them. A kettle or a vacuum cleaner, maybe ...[/QUOTE]

    The shed wanted their brands IIRC. The aquisition can only be good for NZ
    consumers. :) :)

    Bruce Sinclair, Jan 29, 2013

  3. Peter Huebner

    Gib Bogle Guest

    As it happens I ended up buying a Samsung one from Stationery Warehouse,
    they had the best price of the lot.
    The first one I got had a busted key in the numpad (was sometimes
    spamming 7s, other times the key would not respond) and they changed it
    for another one without giving me any grief. Very friendly service, I
    was pleasantly surprised.

    Lemmings, I believe, has recently been swallowed by the Red Sheds
    already! Heh. And yes, I was very hesitant about buying a computer from
    them. A kettle or a vacuum cleaner, maybe ...

    -P.
    [/QUOTE]

    I bought an HP laptop from the Warehouse Stationary recently, at a big
    discount. No complaints so far.

    Gib Bogle, Jan 29, 2013

  4. You could not even give me a HP there support in Nil and they are
    highest failing Laptop out.

    William Brown, Jan 29, 2013
  5. Peter Huebner

    Gib Bogle Guest

    It would not occur to me to give you an HP, or anything else for that
    matter. ;)

    Gib Bogle, Jan 29, 2013
  6. :)
    To be fair, HP reliability (to return to the sort of point :) ) is not an
    easy question. Apparently there are some laptop models known to be truly
    awful in this area (expected lifetime of months), while other models are
    energiser bunny-like and just keep on going.

    Bruce Sinclair, Jan 29, 2013
  7. Peter Huebner

    EMB Guest

    The 1000 or so HP laptops (and 2000 HP desktops) in our fleet are just
    fine thanks. The laptop failure rate is so low as to be effectively
    zero, and the only failure in the desktops we have seen more than one of
    is hard drives (and that's Seagate's problem so is really hardware brand
    agnostic).

    A similar number of Lenovo machines have a higher failure rate, but
    still so low as to not be an issue.

    We're currently buying Dell (cheap, cheap, cheap) and other than a
    handful of DOA desktops have seen no failures over 18 months during
    which we have deployed 600 or so laptops and about 1500 desktops.

    EMB, Feb 2, 2013
  8. Peter Huebner

    ~misfit~ Guest

    .... which reinforces my belief that, if you want a reliable computer from
    one of the big companies you need to buy from their corporate range. ;-)

    Cheers,
    --
    /Shaun.

    cozy little classification in the DSM."
    David Melville (in r.a.s.f1)

    ~misfit~, Feb 3, 2013

  9. Exactly so. :)
    IIRC, the price difference between the "cheap" (fail in months) models and
    the "enterprise" (reliable) models was less than 10 %. Remember that this
    was a few years ago now (maybe 5 ?).
    What amazed me was that HP continued to sell the proven awful ones to the
    unsuspecting.

    <sigh>

    Bruce Sinclair, Feb 4, 2013