Laptops and A+

Discussion in 'A+ Certification' started by Dave Hardenbrook, Aug 11, 2007.

  1. How much servicing should a responsible A+ tech do on a laptop, and when
    should he or she hand it over to the laptop's manufacturers?

    This is my specific problem: A client has a Sony VAIO laptop that she
    bought from BestBuy and which is still under warranty. While working in
    Windows she got a BSOD, and after she powered down the system she could
    not power it up again. When she told BestBuy what happened, she told
    them her system had crashed, and they told her that the warranty doesn't
    cover "crashes". So she has requested my services.

    I haven't looked at her system yet, but with no power following a BSOD,
    it sounds to me like either the Mobo or the power, neither of which
    would be non-trivial repairs/replacements. Since such laptop components
    would always be proprietary, should an A+ tech pass such repairs over
    and leave it to the manufacturer?

    My gut feeling is that I shouldn't touch her system (I usually don't do
    work on systems still under warranty anyway), and that my client should
    talk to BestBuy again (NOT using the word "crash", because that gives
    them a loophole out of providing warrenty service!), or else go over
    their heads and contact Sony directly.

    Any thoughts on how I should proceed?

    Dave

    Dave Hardenbrook, Aug 11, 2007

  2. Dave Hardenbrook

    Patty Guest

    She needs to take it back to Worst (errrr Best) Buy and just tell them it
    won't start up. That should be under warranty. It doesn't work, period.
    The BSOD could have been caused by failing hardware which should be covered
    under the warranty.

    Patty

    Patty, Aug 11, 2007

  3. Dave Hardenbrook

    Bill Eitner Guest

    I second that. No power up defines a warranty issue.

    Bill Eitner, Aug 12, 2007
  4. Dave Hardenbrook

    trope Guest

    As I recall, to be on the "geek squad", you have to be A+ certified.
    Sounds like your client got an "F" certified tech. She should contact
    the store service manager. I am sure he can straighten out the
    problem. You had the right idea about not touching the laptop. Explain
    the ideomatics of BSOD to your client.

    trope, Aug 12, 2007
  5. Dave Hardenbrook

    Patty Guest

    I inquired at Best Buy regarding the Geek Squad, and I was told that you
    have to have your A+ certification. Btw, after I got my certification,
    they blew me off and really wouldn't talk to me, I figured it was because
    I'm more of a geekette. ;)

    Patty

    Patty, Aug 12, 2007
  6. Dave Hardenbrook

    Patty Guest

    I'm not much younger than you. I think that age has a lot to do with
    hiring as well, even though no one will admit that. My husband lost his
    job in February and has applied for everything from yard maintenance to
    general labor and he's never been called either.

    Patty

    Patty, Aug 12, 2007
  7. Dave Hardenbrook

    Mister Guest

    I will never let the Squeak Wads touch my computer! I find that most
    of them are as dumb as a box of rocks!

    Mister, Aug 13, 2007
  8. Dave Hardenbrook

    Tony Guest

    If there is no power whatsoever, then it has to be covered under warranty.I wouldnt touch it if it
    is still under warranty. When Best Buy gets ahold of it and sees that the screws were removed and
    that it was opened, the warranty will be void for sure. I have worked on tons of laptops. Most of
    the ones that come to me have no power and the battery cannot be charged. Of course, this occurs
    because the user tugs on the power supply connector and it breaks the connection internally. We open
    them up and repair that with a stronger connector more securely so that it will be a lot tougher to
    do it again. We charge $385 for that and do at least a few every month. The alternative is to
    replace the motherboard, which is what the manufacturer will do. They usually cost $600 or more for
    them so sell us one. So, the cheaper way is the way we do it. No one else around us will do what we
    do. Of course, if the notebook is more than a couple of years old, it isnt worth it to repair,
    unless the person wants his notebook to work and wants the programs and data to be intact.Some
    people hate change and insist on keeping THEIR notebook.

    Tony

    Tony, Aug 13, 2007
  9. Dave Hardenbrook

    JohnO Guest

    I've worked with quite a few local geeks in Kansas City, and a guy
    from the original squad in Minneapolis (agent number under 100). The
    guys I worked with were really good. A local guy here where I live was
    really, really good as well. I wish they had better standards for
    hiring geeks, but it doesn't look like they worry about it much. :-(

    -John O

    JohnO, Aug 15, 2007
  10. Dave Hardenbrook

    Patrick Q Guest

    I'm sure that the original McDonalds workers or the original KFC employees
    cared more about the business than store employee 1,234,444 do.

    Patrick Q, Aug 16, 2007