Laptop wont recognize any NIC PCMCIA but will other cards

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by Adam Steiner, Oct 29, 2003.

  1. Adam Steiner

    Adam Steiner Guest

    Hi guys,

    I have a Sceptre Soundx 69002 (same as the Dell 5000e). It's a P3 800Mhz.
    It's been giving me trouble (although to be truthful, I haven't exactly
    treated it well). Anyway, it suddenly has stopped recognizing my two
    network cards. One is a DLink card and the other is a Linksys pcmlm56 - a
    dual modem and NIC.

    When either goes into the machine it shows up as an unknown device.
    However, when I try it on my friends laptop it shows up fine. Both cards
    have worked on this particular installation of Windows in the past (it's Win
    ME - long story, don't ask). I even restored a Ghost image I had taken when
    the cards worked and it doesnt show up.

    At first I thought that it might be the PCMCIA slot that died, but when I
    put in my firewire pcmcia card it worked fine.

    Any ideas, thoughts or recommendations?

    Thanks,
    Adam

    Adam Steiner, Oct 29, 2003

  2. Adam Steiner

    Wizard Guest

    Reinstall the drivers.

    Wizard, Oct 29, 2003

  3. Adam Steiner

    Adam Steiner Guest

    Doesn't work. The 'Safely Remove Hardware' box lists it as an Unknown
    device. It doesn't appear in the System settings of the Control Panel.
    There's no way for me to install the drivers and have windows recognize
    these two particular cards.

    Thanks.

    Adam Steiner, Oct 29, 2003
  4. Adam Steiner

    Wizard Guest

    You should be looking in device manager

    Wizard, Oct 30, 2003
  5. Adam Steiner

    Adam Steiner Guest

    Sorry, that's what I meant. Didn't have my laptop with me, was writing that
    from memory.

    The Linksys card usually appears as a Multi-Function Adapter with another
    entry under the networking section and a third under the modem. The Dlink
    card, being a plain old NIC, just appears in the networking section.
    Neither one shows up, and the disable hardware box says that they're both
    'Unknown' devices.

    Adam Steiner, Oct 31, 2003
  6. Adam Steiner

    Wizard Guest

    You need to delete/remove the disabled items, reboot and when win finds
    them again install the proper drivers.

    Wizard, Oct 31, 2003