    laptop even though file sharing is enabled. I have tried disabling all of my
    security software on the laptop, but that has done nothing. What will make
    the laptop files accessible to the desktop?

    Guest, Jun 20, 2005

  2. The most likely problem is that a firewall on the laptop is blocking
    access from the desktop. It could be XP's built-in firewall, or it
    could be a firewall program like Norton, McAfee, PC-cillin, ZoneAlarm,
    etc.

    Can the desktop ping the laptop's IP address? Can the desktop ping
    the laptop's computer name? If both of those fail, the problem is
    almost certainly caused by a firewall.

    Sometimes, disabling security software isn't enough. You have to
    un-install the software to get network access to work. If it works
    with the security software un-installed, check the program's
    documentation to see how to configure it to allow network access.
    --
    Best Wishes,

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com

    Steve Winograd [MVP], Jun 20, 2005