Laptop performance crawling... may be wireless network related... help

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by joseph.greer, Aug 22, 2007.

  1. joseph.greer

    joseph.greer Guest

    My Fiance's laptop is experiencing some very strange symptoms. I
    don't know how to sum them up or even how to categorize it, but here's
    my best shot:

    * The computer when re-booted starts to hang just about when it
    starts to make a connection to our wireless network.
    * Everything takes about 30 seconds to do (click on start?... menu
    shows up 30 seconds or more later)
    * No signs of resource problems: The task manager shows CPU
    utilization at about 6%. Memory usage also seems normal. Network
    usage seems normal. Still... everything crawls.
    * Wireless network connections: The connection to our wifi network
    shows success.
    * I try to open Firefox but it never launches
    * I click on Start, it takes 22 seconds to load on screen.
    * I click Control Panel, it takes 3 minutes to open the screen... a
    searching flashlight is displayed as it cannot find the control panel
    icons. This process lasts minutes. (I've been watching it now for 5
    minutes with no change).
    * Double-clicking on the wireless network connection icon in the
    lower right hand corner opens the Wireless Netowrk Connection Status
    window (about 22 seconds later). The screen is frozen. The duration
    value is not incrementing. Buttons change color on mouse-over, but
    then freeze. The duration value increases a bit. It's like the
    program is getting a few miliseconds of cpu time every minute.

    Later, if I get to the window showing all available wireless
    connections, the computer shows I am actually not connected. Attempts
    to reconnect start duplicate wireless connection icons on the bottom
    of the screen. Last reboot I got 6 of them. Three showing failure,
    two frozen mid-process of trying to get a new IP address allocated.
    One showing connected.

    The whole system is un-usable and I've got no idea what to do. The
    slow system makes it extra difficult to troubleshoot.

    Here are the specs of the system:

    Sony VGN-SZ330P laptop
    Windows XP OS with SP2
    Virus Protection and Firewall by ZoneAlarm. All virus defs up-to-
    date.

    Any help appreciated.

    joseph.greer, Aug 22, 2007

  2. joseph.greer

    joseph.greer Guest

    Update: I started the computer in safe mode with networking and it
    performed well. After investigating the system logs, I found
    countless tcpip information entries of code 4201. Practically one
    every 5 seconds. I restarted the computer in normal mode with the
    wireless networking disabled (using the manual switch on the laptop
    console). Then I changed zone alarm so that it would not start
    automatically upon system start.

    Then I restarted the computer again with networking disabled again.

    The system ran fine. I then enabled zone alarm. The system ran
    fine. I then enabled networking and everything ran fine.

    No problems since. Not sure what the root cause was.

    Robert L [MVP - Networking], Aug 25, 2007