Laptop motherboard: stripped screw for the modem

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Brian Connors, Oct 26, 2006.

  1. Hi all. Dell sent a replacement motherboard and hard drive. Got the
    motherboard swapped in to the laptop no problem, almost. The only thing that
    I couldn't do was swap the 56K modem. It's held on to the board by two
    screws, one of which is completely rounded/stripped/impossible to get out.
    See the pic here:
    http://www.livefromhawaii.com/Dsc04140.jpg

    Anyone have any ideas how it can get out? I've tried screw drivers of all
    size, phillips and flats, smallest to largest. Needle nose vise grips cant
    get a grip on the small head. The modem can't be turned as a whole, as the
    connection for the modem and board are right next to the line that reads
    PCTEL MODEM running parallel.

    I see no way to get it out, I'm hoping someone here might. If it comes down
    to it in a day or two I'll have to send the mobo back to dell with the modem
    on it. I've never used the modem in the three years since I got the laptop,
    but I'd feel better knowing I have the modem in the laptop incase I ever
    need it in the future. who knows!

    Any ideas?

    thanks

    Brian Connors, Oct 26, 2006

  2. Brian Connors

    Patrick Guest

    1. You can drill the screw out. Use a drill bit just smaller than the body
    of the screw, and you should be able to get the modem off without damage.
    Removing the rest of the screw from the old MB is Dell's problem.

    OR,

    2. Call Dell back and tell them to send you a new modem. It's cheaper for
    them than sending a technician out, or having you return the whole laptop.

    --Patrick

    Patrick, Oct 26, 2006

  3. Brian Connors

    Water Bear Guest

    Find a fine saw blade and cut a slot along the diameter, then use a flat
    screwdriver to remove the screw.
    Be careful, try not to damage the board. Use a soft brush to clean metallic
    powder resulted.
    It worked for me.

    Water Bear, Oct 26, 2006
  4. Brian Connors

    Meat Plow Guest

    Super glue or epoxy another screw on top (head to head) then turn it out
    with a pair of pliers.

    Meat Plow, Oct 26, 2006
  5. Brian Connors

    Shel-hed Guest

    What I often do is grab the head with wire cutters so that the blades dig into
    the sides of the screw head. Then twist.

    Shel-hed, Oct 26, 2006
  6. Brian Connors

    Jan Ras Guest

    Jan Ras, Oct 26, 2006
  7. Brian Connors

    Brian Guest

    Thanks to everyone for the great suggestions. I used what was on hand and
    drilled it out per Patricks suggestion. The head of the screw popped right
    off, leaving just the shaft of the screw. I pulled the modem right out.
    Worked like a charm!

    Thanks!

    Brian, Oct 26, 2006