    extra pricetag, and how I might figure out if one or the other will be
    compatible to run in tandem with a Samsung SODIMM?

    TIA, -Peter

    Peter Huebner, Nov 28, 2013

  2. Peter Huebner

    David Empson Guest

    I know from past experience with Kingston products that the "KTA"
    prefixed ones are a kit specified for use in Apple computers (Macs), and
    from looking at Kingston's web site, I see that the "KTT" ones are for
    Toshiba computers. (Similarly, "KTL" is for Lenovo; I expect "KTD" would
    be Dell, and "KTH" Hewlett-Packard, but I don't see any for Samsung.)

    This means Kingston has selected memory to match the manufacturer
    specification (e.g. maximum physical size, expected CAS latency,
    ECC/non-ECC and voltage), has tested it in computers from that
    manufacturer, and is selling it specifically branded as being compatible
    with computers from that manufacturer, even if it the memory modules in
    question are exactly the same as those in kits for other manufacturers
    and their generic memory.

    It is usually the case that they work fine in any system which expects
    the same memory specifications, but you are paying a premium for
    Kingston's extra testing.

    This one is the generic Kingston ValueRAM not specified for any
    particular system:

    http://www.ascent.co.nz/productspecification.aspx?ItemID=405393

    It is cheaper than the manufacturer-specific variants, will have been
    tested by Kingston, but they aren't claiming compatiblity with any
    particular brands/models. It is up to you to confirm the specifications
    match the model in which you want to use it.

    I usually go with the generic Kingston ValueRAM product as long as it is
    in stock and the basic specs match, and they have worked fine in every
    Apple Mac I've put them in (as has every other memory brand I've used
    from Ascent).

    I expect the generic one will work fine in your friend's son's Samsung
    laptop, assuming it expects memory which matches "DDR3, 1600MHz,
    Non-ECC, CL11, 1.5V, Unbuffered, SODIMM" (which is also the
    specifications of the Apple and Toshiba kits you listed).

    David Empson, Nov 28, 2013

  3. He does not need 8Gb of Ram at all, only needed when running stacks of
    Programs at the same time and I don't think this is a Games Laptop..

    Frank Williams, Nov 28, 2013
  4. I jolly well know that, but that won't change the desires of a 13 year
    old regarding his X-mas present. LOL

    Peter Huebner, Nov 28, 2013

  5. But whos the Boss

    Getting the right king of ram that works can be a bit hard, been there
    done that..

    Frank Williams, Nov 28, 2013

  6. Also I think its the school thing mine is bigger than yours..?

    Jest tell him that 4Gb is all he needs.

    Frank Williams, Nov 28, 2013
  7. Peter Huebner

    JohnO Guest

    JohnO, Nov 28, 2013
  8. Peter Huebner

    Your Name Guest

    I can't remember the name at the moment, but there is at least one UK
    based computer RAM seller (and probably others) that does all the "hard
    work" for you - you just use their website to enter your computer model
    and how much RAM it currently has, and their system works out what
    type, size, specs, etc. you need.

    Your Name, Nov 29, 2013

  9. The Samsung site will tell him all that., and so will a lot of Ram
    firms.

    Plus it seems the Father is not the Boss in his house when the Son cam
    make bad demands, ro me he should be thank full what he is given..

    Frank Williams, Nov 29, 2013
  10. Peter Huebner

    Your Name Guest

    The father is never the boss in his house, except when he's the only
    one home. The order of the chain of command goes:

    - In-laws
    - Parents
    - Mother
    - Daughters
    - Sons
    - Pets
    - Mother's friends
    - Children's friends
    - Hairdresser
    - Lawnmower man
    - Roof cleaner
    - ...
    - Father

    ;-)

    Your Name, Nov 29, 2013
  11. Peter Huebner

    Your Name Guest

    http://www.crucial.com I think is the one I meant, but I haven't got
    time to double-check it right now.

    Your Name, Nov 29, 2013
  12. Peter Huebner

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Kingston also offer an interactive RAM matching thingy. <g> Or did when I
    went to their site once.....
    --
    /Shaun.

    cozy little classification in the DSM."
    David Melville (in r.a.s.f1).
    [Sent from my OrbitalT ocular implant interface]

    ~misfit~, Nov 29, 2013
  13. Peter Huebner

    ~misfit~ Guest

    LOL. The RAM would be much cheaper and likely better for the lad in the long
    run. ;-)

    ~misfit~, Dec 22, 2013

  14. True, true!

    Well he got his 8Gb stick. In the end I ordered some Crucial, it works,
    so there. Crucial's compatibility site doesn't even list the series 3
    Samsung Laptops, Kingston's compatibility tool lists only some obscure
    NEC compatible very expensive RAM that nobody stocks ... so I just
    grabbed what was reasonably priced and made by a good compaly.

    -P.

    Peter Huebner, Dec 22, 2013
  15. Peter Huebner

    ~misfit~ Guest