    technologically illiterate, I don't want to hack into it with a blunt
    instrument & find it doesn't work anymore.
    Any help would be much appreciated.

    Ummmmmmm......., Jun 18, 2012

  2. Ummmmmmm.......

    Malcolm Guest

    Hi
    Something like this....
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-HP-Co...ther_Computing_Networking&hash=item3f14efd3b4

    If your in the Auckland area, maybe someone like ~misfit~ can do
    something like that for you?

    Malcolm, Jun 18, 2012

  3. Ummmmmmm.......

    Me Guest

    There's usually (on most laptops) a panel above the keyboard which needs
    to be removed in order to get at the lid hinges. It might require
    removing the keyboard first, in which case you might be able to get
    access to the video cable at that end, and at the other end by removing
    the front bezel from screen/lid, so you may not need to completely
    remove the screen.
    I suggest you google, including on youtube, for the model number and
    "dismantle" for specific instructions. They can be a PITA if you don't
    know model-specific tricks - how to unclip panels without breaking them
    etc, or location of well-concealed screws etc.

    Me, Jun 18, 2012
  4. Ummmmmmm.......

    Gib Bogle Guest

    Why not lower the screen until it's open just enough to prevent
    sleeping? You could attach a stopper, e.g. a cork, to prevent
    inadvertent closing. Hard to see how this would obstruct the view of
    the monitor.

    Gib Bogle, Jun 18, 2012
  5. Ummmmmmm.......

    Me Guest

    Possibly because if the OP's wife doesn't also get an external keyboard
    and mouse, then she'll need very long thin fingers and excellent
    touch-typing skills.

    Me, Jun 18, 2012
  6. Ummmmmmm.......

    Gib Bogle Guest

    A very good point! It would have to be open enough to allow hands in,
    and if she needs to look at the keyboard as I do, but is shorter than
    me, I can see that the lid could obstruct the view.

    Gib Bogle, Jun 18, 2012
  7. Ummmmmmm.......

    Enkidu Guest

    You should be able to attach a mouse and keyboard to the laptop and then
    close the lid while it is booted up.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    Enkidu, Jun 18, 2012
  8. This page seems to be the HP page for all the manuals:

    http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsuppor...Manual&prodTypeId=321957&prodSeriesId=3768171

    and from a link on that page, this seems to be the service manual with
    the disassembly instructions:

    http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsuppor...support/SupportManual/c01573159/c01573159.pdf

    As to getting parts, since this seems to be a 2008 model, the Consumer
    Guarantees Act requires that the parts be available for the life of
    the goods, so you can go back to the shop you bought it from and
    require them to get the part or even to fix the problem, and if they
    are no longer in existence, the manufacturer or NZ importer (HP or
    their NZ agents) are required to fix it. Should it actually be
    impossible to get the parts, then the CGA remedy would probably be a
    new laptop or your money back. Do not take any bullshit from the
    retailer or HP - the CGA is very clear about these things. If they
    refuse, ask for details of the person to send the notice to about the
    Disputes Tribunal hearing. That usually makes them remember their
    obligations under the CGA. And if that does not work, actually go to
    the Disputes Tribunal - it is likely that you would win your case
    easily.

    Stephen Worthington, Jun 18, 2012
  9. If it was bought from Noel Leemings, and Noel Leemings are still
    trading, then the CGA makes it plain that as Noel Leemings are the
    retailer it is their responsibility to get it fixed, rather than HPs.
    However, I believe it is the responsibility of the importer or
    manufacturer to make sure of parts availability in NZ for the lifetime
    of the product. So HP may not have to pay for the repairs, but they
    sure had better be able to supply the spares, and for a reasonable
    price.
    Yes, and then they try to tell you that a laptop's lifetime is only
    three years! If they make laptops that bad, they had better only cost
    $100. Otherwise for a normally priced laptop I would expect at least
    7-10 years of operation, as I do for any computer. The CGA requires
    "durability" for all products.
    Approved agent status does not matter to the CGA. The CGA requires
    that spares be available for the lifetime of the product. Any
    retailer who stocks things that will not have spares for the lifetime
    of the product should expect to have to replace or refund instead when
    the spares are not available, as required by the CGA. So they should
    be putting aside funding for that or should be ensuring that spares
    will be available by having an agreement with the importer or
    manufacturer when they decide to sell their products. So Noel
    Leemings should have made sure they had an agreement with HP that HP
    would have the spares or even cover the CGA costs. I doubt they have
    such an agreement, so it is then all up to them to fix or otherwise
    remedy the problem. But fix it they must.

    Stephen Worthington, Jun 18, 2012
  10. Ummmmmmm.......

    Me Guest

    Makes me wonder what the future of something like the very beautiful new
    Macbook Pro "Retina" screen notebook will be like.

    There's a teardown here:
    http://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/MacBook-Pro-with-Retina-Display-Teardown/9462/1#.T97vqLX9N8E

    The lithium ion battery seems to be designed to be non-replaceable -
    actually glued in to the chassis. The ram chips are soldered in to the
    m/b. The SSD has a proprietary non-standard interface. The screen
    assembly can't be disassembled.

    They've made the thing unserviceable - for the main components
    (battery/ram/display/ssd) which might not last. It's a very appealing
    sexy looking laptop, but jeeesh - 7-10 years of operation? I don't
    think so.

    Me, Jun 18, 2012
  11. This servicemen has given me good service: only does laptop screens
    and associated problems..

    Hanson

    (027) 5737651 (09) 5285689

    4/28 Speight Rd
    Kohimarama
    Auckland City
    Auckland

    He's not a relative or business associate.

    [email protected], Jun 18, 2012

  12. Thanks all! Very useful and informative. We'll go with the wireless
    keyboard & mouse option.
    I'm in Wellington, otherwise I would've looked at the Auckland
    suggestions - a good honest serviceman is worth his weight in gold!

    Ummmmmmm......., Jun 19, 2012
  13. Ummmmmmm.......

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Just saw this thread, thanks for the mention Malcolm. Yeah, I could take
    that lid off quite easilly. The thing I hate about Compaqs though is that
    first step, prising up the plastic strip above the keyboard. They always
    seems like it's going to snap to me, no matter how many times I do them.

    In fact I have a couple 'headless' lappies like that myself, got both of
    them for next-to-nothing. ;-)
    --
    Shaun.

    cozy little classification in the DSM."