    as I have selected, but on re-opening I need to press power switch to
    restart. Have checked other laptops (Dell) that simply illuminate screen to
    log in when re-opening the lid. How can I change mine to do this??

    Fred, Dec 27, 2004

  2. Fred

    Toolman Tim Guest

    |I have a Dell inspiron laptop. Closing the lid puts computer into stand by
    | as I have selected, but on re-opening I need to press power switch to
    | restart. Have checked other laptops (Dell) that simply illuminate screen
    | log in when re-opening the lid. How can I change mine to do this??

    My Dell inspiron does the same. And so do the other 10 Dell laptops at work.
    I'd bet that the one's you've seen that simply darken the screen aren't
    going into standby, but have the power settings to "do nothing" and the lid
    switch is merely turning off the backlight.

    Toolman Tim, Dec 28, 2004

  3. Fred

    Fred Guest

    Thanks for reply. The other one I have just checked definitely hangs up
    modem and requires log in on re-opening, but doesn't require pushing of
    switch to turn on. It is brand new, so possibly a change in system. It is
    set to stand by when lid is closed.

    Fred, Dec 28, 2004
  4. Fred

    Toolman Tim Guest

    | > by
    | > | as I have selected, but on re-opening I need to press power switch to
    | > | restart. Have checked other laptops (Dell) that simply illuminate
    screen
    | > | log in when re-opening the lid. How can I change mine to do this??
    | > |
    | > My Dell inspiron does the same. And so do the other 10 Dell laptops at
    | > work.
    | > I'd bet that the one's you've seen that simply darken the screen aren't
    | > going into standby, but have the power settings to "do nothing" and the
    | > lid
    | > switch is merely turning off the backlight.
    |
    | Thanks for reply. The other one I have just checked definitely hangs up
    | modem and requires log in on re-opening, but doesn't require pushing of
    | switch to turn on. It is brand new, so possibly a change in system. It is
    | set to stand by when lid is closed.

    Could be - the ones at work are about 2 to 4 years old.

    Toolman Tim, Dec 28, 2004