    They must have put a red led in there for a reason, but what does it
    mean when it lights up?

    Thanks for any help.

    Carter Burke, Aug 28, 2004

  2. Carter Burke

    HF Guest

    Have a guess at what a battery indicator might be trying to tell you !

    HF, Aug 28, 2004

  3. Carter Burke

    Carter Burke Guest

    Maybe I should explain more-

    There are 3 lights on the laptop. One shows that it is powered on. The
    next one shows drive activity. The third one shows battery use. The
    battery use light will glow green when running off the battery, blink
    when the battery is charging and turn amber/orange when low on power.

    However it is now showing red. I don't know what red means.

    The battery works. Everything about the laptop works. The only anomaly
    is that red light.

    My question is "what does the red light mean?" I don't see any
    reference to it in the manual for this laptop and was hoping someone
    might be able to give me an idea why it is red.

    It can't mean the battery is dead because the battery is not dead. It
    can't mean the battery is charging because it is charging. It can't
    mean the power cord is unplugged because it is plugged in.

    When I pull the battery and press the self test button it shows full
    charge and the battery works.

    All I need to know is "what does the red light mean?" They stuck a red
    led in there for a reason, it is supposed to indicate something...
    what is it indicating?

    Carter Burke, Aug 28, 2004
  4. Carter Burke

    Thor Guest

    Check your manual, or download a manual from Dell. It should tell you in
    there what the red LED means. I would guess that it indicates a problem with
    either the battery, or the charging system.

    Thor, Aug 28, 2004
  5. Carter Burke

    Carter Burke Guest

    That's the problem, I've looked at the (online) manuals but they don't
    mention anything about red.

    Green and amber/orange are all that is addressed and this is
    definitely not those colors. It is clearly a bright red.

    This is driving me nuts because the laptop works perfectly in every
    respect but that red glow on the battery indicator is bothering the
    hell out of me. The battery works- everything works... What does the
    red light light mean?

    If somebody could simply tell me what red in the Battery indicator
    light area means I would really appreciate it.

    Carter Burke, Aug 28, 2004
  6. Carter Burke

    Steve Guest

    Check your manual, or download a manual from Dell. It should tell you in
    Sounds as if your only option at this point is to call Dell.

    Steve, Aug 28, 2004
  7. Carter Burke

    Dave Guest

    If it is bothering you that much then why not just call Dell and ask them.
    After all they made the thing and they would know what red means.

    Dave, Aug 28, 2004
  8. Carter Burke

    Carter Burke Guest

    Obviously I could call Dell, but I think we all know what a nightmare
    telephone support can be and email can be even worse.

    Maybe I was wrong but I assumed that at least someone somewhere had
    some knowledge of this laptop and might be able to tell me what the
    light means.

    This group looked like a likely place.

    If anyone else has knowledge about the light indicators on a Dell CPXJ
    laptop and what red means, let me know...

    Pretty Please?

    Carter Burke, Aug 28, 2004
  9. Carter Burke

    Carter Burke Guest

    That sounds like what I might have to do.

    Darn.

    Carter Burke, Aug 28, 2004
  10. Carter Burke

    Rv! Guest

    If anyone else has knowledge about the light indicators on a Dell CPXJ
    I have one of these laptops, and my brother has an Inspiron
    When his bettery ended up not holding a charge and basically
    going futt the LED was red on both of our machines. Interestingly,
    I took the cells from his battery and fitted them into another battery
    back and all was OK.

    I'm still trying to suss out if this was a "timed" failure or a simple
    fault in their stupidly complicated electronics in the battery pack.

    Rv!

    Rv!, Aug 28, 2004
  11. Carter Burke

    Drifter Guest

    Oh grow up. There are at least four things that a red BATT LED on a
    Dell laptop could be trying to tell the user. Without a manual you
    can't guess anything beyond "there's a problem".

    -------Possible indication for Dell model laptops-----------------

    For Dell laptops the Battery LED indicator can mean several different
    things depending on the model.

    Solid Green means charging on some models, on others it means fully
    charged.

    Blinking Green means charging on some models, on others it means fully
    charged.

    No LED lit means fully charged on some models or not charging on
    others.

    Red LED means Charging on some (older) models, but more often means
    that either the battery isn't getting a charge or is in any of several
    "overcharge protection" modes.

    Red LED on still other models means the battery is extremely low on
    charge and the laptop will shutdown soon

    Blinking red LED means (for some models) that the battery charge fuse
    has blown or that the battery is not making a good connection and
    therefore can't charge. or on still other models means the battery is
    extremely low on charge and the laptop will shutdown soon.

    Confusing ain't it!

    Drifter
    "I've been here, I've been there..."

    Drifter, Aug 28, 2004
  12. Carter Burke

    Carter Burke Guest

    This sounds like it might relate to my issue... but it also sounds
    like nonsense.

    I can't make heads or tails of it.

    Carter Burke, Aug 28, 2004