    greatly appreciated.

    Cheers,
    Dany.

    Dany P. Wu, Jan 30, 2004

  2. Dany P. Wu

    K & S Guest

    LCD Screens are no good for Colour Work..

    K & S, Jan 30, 2004

  3. Dany P. Wu

    max Guest

    Correction, cheap LCD screens are no good for colour work. You can get
    good colour active LCD screens but you pay a premium for them. Laptop
    screens just aren't the same type of thing and are only passive.

    max, Jan 30, 2004
  4. Dany P. Wu

    Don Hills Guest

    Really? DSTN (passive) screens haven't been used in laptop production for
    quite a few years. If the spec sheet says it's TFT, it is active.

    In general though, I do agree that you have to look hard and pay a premium
    to get colour rendition from an LCD that's as good as a good CRT. I don't
    intend to replace my 20 inch Trinitron any day soon.

    Don Hills, Jan 30, 2004
  5. My old laptop had an Active Matrix TFT LCD display.

    Phillip Weston, Jan 31, 2004
  6. Hi there,
    Why? Are they obsolete?

    If so, why is the Apple Cinema Display so highly regarded?

    There are good colour LCD screens on laptops, and there are cheap ones.
    I don't think they achieve the same colour rendition of a good CRT, but
    there are some that get close...

    In answer to the original question before Woger added his bullshit, if
    you cannot find an appropriate colour profile from your colour profiles
    list, you may have to play with gamma, contrast, brightness, and alter
    even those properties separately for each of the RGB channels to get a
    suitable 'profile'...some LCD's have a definate colour cast, and only
    altering the settings per channel sometimes can compensate for that...

    Chris Wilkinson, Jan 31, 2004
  7. "ICC" stands for "International Color [sic] Consortium". These files are
    called "profiles", and they provide a calibration for colour rendition
    on a device in terms of the reference standard colour definitions
    originally put together by the CIE (Commission Internationale de
    l'Eclairage) in 1931.

    As for how you use them, do you have some control panel for choosing
    which one to use? If you have a plain white background showing, does it
    seem to change tint slightly as you apply different profiles?

    Do the names of the profiles contain numbers like "5500, "6500" or
    "9500"? These are called "colour temperatures". They define the colour
    of reference "white" as the colour of a "black body" (perfect emitter of
    radiation) heated to the corresponding temperature. Ironically, the
    lower temperatures correspond to "warmer" (redder) whites, while the
    higher temperatures correspond to "cooler" (bluer) whites.

    Lawrence D¹Oliveiro, Feb 1, 2004