    Does anyone know of any other makes/models that have these components - or
    anything on the horizon? Seems like a really useful set up to me. Also any
    user comments welcome.

    Fred, Jul 31, 2006

  2. Fred

    Meat Plow Guest

    Check out Asus yet?

    Meat Plow, Jul 31, 2006

  3. Fred

    nlien Guest

    I don't know if it still is an option, but it used to be on some IBM
    laptops, esp. the A series. It wasn't built in but there was a port on
    the top of the lid that you could add a special webcam/mic.

    nlien, Jul 31, 2006
  4. Fred

    ToyalP2 Guest

    Most new Sony Vaio laptops do and they can be moved up and down.

    ToyalP2, Jul 31, 2006
  5. b.t.w. Who's Mike? And why do you want to build him into your next
    computer? ;) LOL j/k

    Randall Smith, Aug 1, 2006
  6. Dell has a few of those in it's XPS line.

    http://www.dell.com/content/products/productdetails.aspx/xpsnb_m1210?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs

    or

    http://tinyurl.com/lz5zg

    Randall Smith, Aug 1, 2006
  7. Fred

    Toolman Tim Guest

    Artificial intelligence just isn't up to snuff yet...add your own Mike
    instead...

    Toolman Tim, Aug 1, 2006
  8. Fred

    PeeCee Guest

    A lot of Asus Laptops come with a Camera and Mic in the top of the screen
    facing the user.
    eg A6000 TRMT2 1.3Mpixel camera & microphone:
    http://au.asus.com/products4.aspx?l1=5&l2=24&l3=134&model=794&modelmenu=1

    Cheers
    Paul.

    PeeCee, Aug 1, 2006
  9. Fred

    Mitch Guest

    I thought both Toshiba and Sony had done this.

    Mitch, Aug 1, 2006
  10. Fred

    Margolotta Guest

    Why the hell not?! What possible sane reason could you POSSIBLY have for not
    wanting a computer that runs an OS that's more stable, secure and reliable
    than anything M$ has ever (and, I would venture to suggest, will ever)
    produce(d).

    If it's a case of having Windows apps that you cannot part with, then run
    Boot Camp (included) install Windows, and there you go.

    Many PC laptops come with a camera/mic (note spelling) but they are very poor
    value for money when compared to Macs. Spec up Dell's new top-of-the-line XPS
    book to be the same as a basic spec Mac Book Pro and it's going to cost you
    nearly £1,000 more. The Dell uses DDR RAM, the MBP DDR2. The Dell has 1MB
    cache, the MBP has 2. The Dell comes with an 80GB drive as standard, the MBP
    120GB. The Dell's standard processor is 2GHz, the MBP's is 2.16GHz (if you
    want that on the Dell, it'll cost you nearly £400 extra).

    And, then you can easily upgrade a MBP to its maximum 2GB (which is the same
    as the Dell) for only £60 (to upgrade the Dell would set you back £90 for a
    single stick, or £161 for a double).

    No, I cannot see a single sane reason for buying a PC laptop over a Mac
    Book/Mac Book Pro.

    And, if you want to run Linux, well, a Mac can do that, too...

    Margolotta, Aug 1, 2006
  11. Fred

    John DoH Guest

    One reason could be that you have one and are always going on about the
    virtues of a Mac, but you couldn't even do something as simple as boot
    it up from the HD.
    IMacs are brilliant and the only way to go as far as I am concerned, but
    I would never go on about them the way you do. If a client is after a
    computer I go throught the ins and outs with them and always suggest
    they go for a Mac. I offer them 20 hrs free trouble-shooting if they go
    for a Mac, but not for a PC. In the end people will go for whatever they
    want, they will not be persuaded by some idiot who is always banging on
    about how great they are. They are great and if you gave a convincing,
    non-biased arguement why someone would benefit from having one then
    people may listen to you.

    As it is, they only have to google your name and see what a pariah you
    are in every group you have ever infested, why would any sane person
    listen to you?

    John DoH, Aug 1, 2006
  12. LOL

    Randall Smith, Aug 1, 2006
  13. John DoH wrote:
    Google
    Results about 804 for margolotta. (0.24 seconds)

    LOL

    Randall Smith, Aug 1, 2006
  14. Fred

    Fred Guest