Laptop freezing at 54mbps but not 11mbps

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Jacques E. Bouchard, Jan 28, 2006.

  1. I don't know whether this is the proper newsgroup for my problem. If
    not, please advise.

    I have a Toshiba Satellite M40X laptop with integrated 802.11g wireless
    (Atheros AR5005GS adapter). Ever since I've had it, the computer freezes
    when I surf at 54mbps, especially during file downloads. If I force a
    connect at 11mbps, everything runs perfectly smooth.

    This isn't a huge problem, since 11mbps is still faster than internet
    connections on public networks. But it's a pain when I want to do large
    file transfers on my home network.

    I've done tests on several networks (secured or open), and the results
    are the same: 54mbps will cause my computer to freeze, sooner rather
    than sooner, while 11mbps runs flawlessly. My Toshiba service center
    wasn't much help.

    Any ideas as to what could cause this? I already have all the latest
    drivers and BIOS, and I've tried tweaking my wireless settings, but to
    no avail.

    Google doesn't reveal anything about this specific problem, so I'm
    looking for educated guesses for now, or even - dare I hope? - someone
    who's experienced the very same thing and found a solution.

    Any help is appreciated.

    jaybee

    Jacques E. Bouchard, Jan 28, 2006

  2. Or later, even.