Laptop Desktop Frozen

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by James, Nov 15, 2005.

  1. James

    James Guest

    Hi all, my name is James and I am new to the
    helpdesk and would really appreciate some help.

    I have a problem with a Windows 98 laptop.

    I have downloaded all the Security updates from
    Microsoft. It seems this laptop has not had an
    update since 1999, so service Pack 6 has been
    installed - the lot - 22 updates in all.

    This laptop had the free version of "Zone Alarm"
    installed. I thought it best to keep it installed
    until the downloads were completed and then
    uninstall "Zone Alarm."

    Unfortunately, now the laptop boots up ok but
    the "Zone Alarm" won't start up and I can't click
    on anything as the desktop is frozen...I can't even
    bring up the Start Menu in the hopes of deleting
    "Zone Alarm."

    So I pressed CTL+ALT+DEL A blue screen
    appears with:
    SYSTEM IS BUSY

    THE SYSTEM IS BUSY WAITING FOR THE
    CLOSE PROGRAM DIALOGUE TO BE
    DISPLAYED.

    * PRESS ANY KEY TO BE RETURNED TO
    WINDOWS AND WAIT

    * PRESS CTL+ALT+DEL TO RESTART
    YOUR COMPUTER

    When I press any key the screen goes blank with
    only the mouse curser that can be moved around,
    or if I press CTL+ALT+DEL the laptop reboots
    and back full circle to a frozen desktop and "Zone
    Alarm" won't start up.

    I am stuck. Any ideas? Please someone help.

    Kind regards,

    James

    LOOK! Everything you want for Christmas, Home
    and Business!
    http://a2infinitybooks.com

    Learn How to Master Your Memory!
    http://bookdude.mastmemory.hop.clickbank.net/?

    James, Nov 15, 2005

  2. James

    Ben Myers Guest

    Try starting the laptop in Safe mode(tap the F8 key
    repeatedly during bootup).

    Ben

    Ben Myers, Nov 15, 2005

  3. James

    Nikita1984 Guest

    Hey James.
    Try to reboot your computer in safe mode? Hold F8 key when booting ur
    laptop, and shose safe mode from then. Does it work? If it does, try to
    clean up ur startup list, right from there in registry. Then reboot
    again. SHould help. Let me know if it doesnt.
    Nikita

    Nikita1984, Nov 15, 2005
  4. James

    John Holmes Guest

    blabbered in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:
    BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAA!!! Are you always this stupid or are you making a
    special effort today?

    John Holmes, Nov 15, 2005
  5. James

    James Guest

    Hi all, it's James. Remember my Frozen Desktop?

    It's easy when you know how.
    Tapping the F8 key worked as suggested .

    Funny thing is, it did not go into safe mode, it
    forced the "Zone Alarm" application to open
    and so the desktop did not freeze and I was
    able to uninstall "Zone Alarm."

    Everything is back to normal.

    James, Nov 15, 2005