    Roland Perry Guest

    That's the marketplace, then. A sort of up-market "buy-it-now" eBay, but
    not buying from Amazon itself (as you might for some things).

    Roland Perry, May 18, 2010

  2. tony sayer

    Lobster Guest

    And PayPal also insist you use an international signed-for service to do
    it, which again, isn't cheap. I fell foul of this when buying a
    software CD which turned out to be a fairly sophisticated fake; WTF is
    the point of me paying a fairly high fee to send the bloody thing back
    to the criminal who originally supplied it (especially when,
    predictably, it was ultimately returned to me as undeliverable; the
    return address being as fake as the CD!)

    David

    Lobster, May 18, 2010

  3. tony sayer

    Roland Perry Guest

    Do keep up... if people buy a laptop battery to be shipped from China
    (because it's cheaper), they are taking a risk that it won't be a
    full-spec device. We then went on to discuss potential remedies.

    Roland Perry, May 19, 2010
  4. tony sayer

    Roland Perry Guest

    In more ethical factories.
    If the seller is a liar, the claimed spec is irrelevant.
    Of course they do, but they are easier to get redress from (directly or
    indirectly).

    Roland Perry, May 19, 2010
  5. Bwhaha.

    there are only half a dozen LIPO manufacturing plants in the world and
    almost all are in China.

    The difference is the spec of the cells they sell, and how they are
    packaged. not where they are made.

    The Natural Philosopher, May 19, 2010
  6. tony sayer

    pete Guest

    No. If the seller is in britain you can tip off thelr local trading
    standards. It's also easier and quicker to get a replacement from a UK
    based operation (presuming they don't have to send it back to .cn
    first). The ease of getting satisfaction has a real financial worth.

    pete, May 19, 2010
  7. tony sayer

    Roland Perry Guest

    I think you meant "yes", if the seller is a liar, and lives in China,
    you are stuffed.
    Exactly, which is why I've been suggesting people buy from a locally
    based outfit.

    Roland Perry, May 20, 2010
  8. tony sayer

    Roland Perry Guest

    So you reckon there are factories that cheerfully stick labels on
    batteries overstating their capacity, at the same time as making
    identical looking ones that have a "proper" capacity?

    This isn't about China, it's about different factories in China.

    Roland Perry, May 20, 2010
  9. No, but there are plenty of retail packagers who do exactly that.
    No, its not about batteries, or their factories, its about the cell
    packagers and marketers.

    Think back again to Uncle Clive, selling reject transistors at inflated
    prices to suckers

    Its not even about factories in China.

    The Natural Philosopher, May 20, 2010
  10. Kev has been trolling from cam.misc of late.

    But... Whatever. <shrug>

    Brian L Johnson, May 21, 2010