    recommend a supplier of either original equipment (Panasonic Battery Li-ion
    pack) or decent replacement copy ones?..

    Cheers..

    tony sayer, May 16, 2010

  2. tony sayer

    John Guest

    www.batteryexpress.org.uk are local to me so I went to the place when I
    needed a battery for my Acer Aspire 5630. Good battery, decent price, so
    yeah, I'd recommend them.

    John

    John, May 16, 2010

  3. tony sayer

    Roland Perry Guest

    Roland Perry, May 16, 2010
  4. Idon't know where to buy, but it occurs to me that this is the sort of thing
    that eBay should have, and it would be a safe thing to buy from there.

    Jeff Strickland, May 17, 2010
  5. tony sayer

    Duncan Wood Guest

    I bought one from them. It waa faulty. In a strange reversal of most posts
    of this nature, I complained, they apologised & sent me a perfectly good
    one so I'd recommend them.

    Duncan Wood, May 17, 2010
  6. tony sayer

    Roland Perry Guest

    You still have to be careful - many are apparently shipped from China,
    and while maybe not outright counterfeights can use low-quality cells.
    I've also had batteries without the right "chip" in them, and therefore
    unrecognised by the laptop.

    Roland Perry, May 17, 2010
  7. tony sayer

    pete Guest

    Yes, there are lots of suppliers of laptop bateries on eBay. Some are even in the
    UK! I'd love to believe that all their wares were new, full spec. manufacturer's
    quality product and actually had the mA*Hr capacity they claim. And that they would
    last for as many recharge cycles as the "proper" ones at twice the price.

    But, having bought compatible batteries for cameras and phones from these sorts (not
    the specific ones mentioned here) of suppliers, which went flat in a fraction (a small
    fraction) of the time that the one which came with the device lasted, AND held less and
    less charge, for less and less time in the ensuing months. I can't help but think
    there are too many crooks, fakes and bogus claims out there.

    pete, May 17, 2010
  8. Indeed it is - we were stiffed by a customer for several hundred:
    claiming non delivery of goods despite a cast iron paper trail and
    postal proof of delivery. And email discussions about the goods he
    claimed were never received..

    The Natural Philosopher, May 17, 2010
  9. And the capacity of a battery depends critically on how fast you drain
    it, and what endpoint voltage you let it go to.

    And cells are probably +-10% anyway.

    The Natural Philosopher, May 17, 2010
  10. tony sayer

    Duncan Wood Guest

    If you're buying cheap ones then that's less likely with the lower
    capacity ones.

    Duncan Wood, May 17, 2010
  11. tony sayer

    Baron Guest

    Jon Green Inscribed thus:
    Manufacturers are reducing the capacity of the battery packs as a method
    of reducing costs. I've seen Acer laptops with three battery size
    options for the same machine ! Only machine cosmetic differences and
    price, separate them.

    Baron, May 17, 2010
  12. tony sayer

    Man at B&Q Guest

    Some laptop manufactureres have a rabge of batteries of different
    capacity. It may well be that 4400mAH is a kosher replacement for the
    bottom of the range and just doesn't suit you.

    MBQ

    Man at B&Q, May 17, 2010
  13. tony sayer

    Roland Perry Guest

    If shipping the offending item back to China is your idea of "easy", I'd
    hate to see something difficult. The PayPal refund will not apply if the
    cells turn out to be short-lived or low-capacity, rather than completely
    broken.

    Roland Perry, May 17, 2010
  14. tony sayer

    Roland Perry Guest

    It's not as automatic as you appear to think.
    You have 45 days from payment, depends on how slow that slow boat from
    China is.

    Roland Perry, May 18, 2010
  15. tony sayer

    pete Guest

    TBF, I've found stuff from China usually arrives in about a week, sometimes
    a little longer - sometimes quicker than stuff from UK sellers who can't
    be arsed to go to the post office!

    However, even if you do manage to get a refund, that still leaves you
    without a battery and you won't get back any of the charges the courier
    or postal service makes, apropos VAT, duty and "handling" - if you get
    charged for these.

    pete, May 18, 2010
  16. tony sayer

    Chris Shore Guest

    I bought the most recent replacement for my son's Dell laptop from Amazon.
    Was
    very hard to find a better price without significant effort. Delivered
    quickly. Worked
    fine.

    Chris

    Chris Shore, May 18, 2010
  17. tony sayer

    Roland Perry Guest

    Amazon themselves, or a trader in the Amazon marketplace?

    Roland Perry, May 18, 2010
  18. tony sayer

    Roland Perry Guest

    I did; it says you have 45 days from making payment.

    Roland Perry, May 18, 2010
  19. tony sayer

    Roland Perry Guest

    If the battery hasn't arrived yet, how can you complain that it's poor
    quality?

    Roland Perry, May 18, 2010
  20. tony sayer

    Chris Shore Guest

    The receipt says it came from "Smart Parts UK".

    Chris

    Chris Shore, May 18, 2010