    The LAN works, but not the internet ?
    What would be the settings in the router ? Gateway etc. ?

    Thank You.

    rafael, Jan 20, 2008

  2. Hi
    I do not know what 3g Modem is so I can not give you a definite answer.
    In principle the Wireless Router should be connected to Laptop's A as an
    Access Point.
    This page explains how to configure a Wireless Router as an Access Point.
    When it works (depending on what 3g Modem is) you have to configure Windows
    ICS to work as a software Routing agent.
    http://practicallynetworked.com/sharing/xp_ics/
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Jan 20, 2008

  3. rafael

    Jim Guest

    Why can't you connect your modem to the LAN through the router? Routers do
    this for a living, but laptops don't.

    Jim

    Jim, Jan 20, 2008
  4. rafael

    rafael Guest

    3G Modem is a dial up modem.
    Ok i will try the link u provide...Thanx...

    I tried using a switch/hub, it works...but not with the router...Thats
    why i kind of confuse...

    rafael, Jan 21, 2008
  5. rafael

    rafael Guest

    - Because, the dial-up modem need a username/password to be dial
    through....

    rafael, Jan 21, 2008
  6. rafael

    rafael Guest

    I have set the Laptop A IP - 192.168.1.3
    Laptop B with IP - 192.168.1.4 and gateway 192.168.1.3, but still
    Laptop B can't access the internet...

    Do i need to set anything on the Router ? Do i need to set the Gateway
    to Laptop A (192.168.1.3) ??

    rafael, Jan 21, 2008
  7. rafael

    Jim Guest

    It isn't the modem which needs those things; it is your isp. Your router
    can surely control a dialup modem.
    For example, I have DSL. The connection is PPOE, and the modem must dial
    the ISP every time that it
    connects. My router sends the info to the modem which then sends it to the
    ISP which finally makes the
    connection. If I didn't have a router, my computer would send the message
    to the modem. All a modem does
    is convert signals from one format to another, and that is enough of a task
    as it is.

    Jim

    Jim, Jan 21, 2008
  8. Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Jan 21, 2008