Laptop 486 8mb ram - need vnc client

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by Gadjet \(Carson\), Oct 16, 2003.

  1. Summary: Laptop 486 with 8mb of ram, attempting to use as a vnc client - no
    cdrom. (Lots of problems achieving this)

    i've tried freebsd, redhat, mandrake, debian, win311, dos, and win95, and
    even 'thin clients'

    win3.11 and dos are the only ones i really got 'close' to getting working,
    that is, i could actually get operating system to boot.

    i also managed to get tcp/ip working in both due to some packet drivers etc.
    the rest wont boot, i'm currently working on getting win95 working, i've
    copied accross all the cab files (via ftp) onto the hdd, along with the
    other needed files, and now when i type setup, it just sits there... i'm
    guessing it needs more memory or something similar...

    i've been playing with this for quite a few weeks, and i count myself as
    quite 'knowledgable' (sp?) when dealing with computers, but i've ran into so
    many troubles, i've just decided to ask for help on this.

    all i want to be able to do is vnc into another computer via tcp/ip through
    my pcmcia network card (Kingmax, KEN0012-TF)

    any and all help is VERY appreciated.

    Gadjet \(Carson\), Oct 16, 2003

  2. Gadjet \(Carson\)

    HG Guest

    HG, Oct 16, 2003

  3. Gadjet \(Carson\)

    bmoag Guest

    I have an old 486 notebook: in order to get it to network at all even with
    Win 3.x required, as I recall, 16mb ram. Win 95 would run in this
    environment but so slowly that it really is not worth the effort unless you
    can increase RAM to 64mb. Even then the slow hard drive and processor make
    boot times and load times unbearable.

    bmoag, Oct 17, 2003
  4. Gadjet \(Carson\)

    DeMoN LaG Guest

    I believe you will need Linux or Windows 95, as I don't believe there are
    any DOS/Win 3.x VNC clients. First things first, get Windows 95 up and
    running by itself. Next, install the VNC client and try to connect. If
    you can't, make sure your network card is functioning and you can ping the
    server.

    --
    AIM: FrznFoodClerk (actually me)
    website: under construction