  1. Brian Adams

    Brian Adams Guest

    Only about 6 postings since 5pm till 10pm

    Brian Adams, Sep 19, 2007

  2. Brian Adams

    lolinternet Guest

    So? It's not exactly a fast moving group.

    lolinternet, Sep 19, 2007

  3. Brian Adams

    Brian Adams Guest

    I used to be, before we had all these lunix mad men here.

    Brian Adams, Sep 19, 2007
  4. Brian Adams

    Peter Guest

    The Slingshot news server has been done for a lot of the time during the
    last week or 2, especially evenings.

    Peter, Sep 19, 2007
  5. Brian Adams

    Kent Smith Guest

    No, woger used to copy irrelevant content off the Internet and midlessly
    dump it in here in seperate posts, haven't seen that for a while. :)

    -KENT

    Kent Smith, Sep 20, 2007
  6. Brian Adams

    John Guest

    A lot of ISPs have dropped their news server, and others aren't maintaining
    theirs. I believe slingshot for instance, their news server has been up and
    down of weeks.

    John, Sep 20, 2007
  7. Now he just Copys it strait out of his Brane witch is even wers..

    Nicolaas Hawkins, Sep 20, 2007
  8. Brian Adams

    Murray Symon Guest

    Could possibly be traffic management related to TCP port 119, as when I have
    problems with the Slingshot news server I also have problems with another
    news server (news.jadeworld.com). A connection can be opened but then it
    goes dead - packet loss?. This is the first time I have been able to access
    them for several days.

    Murray.

    Murray Symon, Sep 20, 2007
  9. Brian Adams

    Alan Guest

    Volume really fell away when Xtra dropped usenet.

    At the time I expected that most people would move to other options,
    but I guess most of the Xtra people couldn't be bothered, or tried
    Google Groups and found they were getting killfiled
    (http://improve-usenet.org/) so gave up?

    --

    Alan.

    else associated with me.

    My current valid email address is:

    email address.

    ewygchvboocno43vb674b6nq46tvb

    Alan, Sep 20, 2007
  10. Why would being killfiled by others have much of an impact on Xtra-newbs,
    given that they're unlikely to killfile each other?

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Sep 20, 2007
  11. Brian Adams

    Alan Guest

    Where did I say they were "newbs"?

    Alan, Sep 20, 2007
  12. Brian Adams

    frederick Guest

    I don't think so.
    Their nntp server has been consistently borked from about
    3pm most days until ??? (still borked now at 11.25pm)
    Script kiddies after school activities?

    frederick, Sep 20, 2007
  13. I just use aioe
    My work connection is xtra i believe... well not xtra, Telecom
    connection... we have our own feed anyway
    At home im with xtra

    Andrew Lambert, Sep 20, 2007
  14. Why did you need to?

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Sep 20, 2007
  15. Brian Adams

    joe_90 Guest

    I have observed the same when trying to access news servers via
    Slingshot over the last week or so - you can connect to the (any?) news
    server but the connection subsequently times out. It appears the Usenet
    service is being consistently blocked at about the same time each day.

    It would be nice to see an announcement on their web site, because a
    network status claiming 'no known issues' is a bit galling, but then
    again Usenet service barely hits the radar with ISP's these days and is
    viewed as a bonus by most :-(

    joe_90, Sep 21, 2007
  16. Brian Adams

    Peter Guest

    Yes, I've noticed the same symptoms - when the Slingshot news server is not
    available, I can't connect to any other news server either (just times
    out).

    I tried posting messages via the Slingshot website, but got no answer. When
    I rang on the 0800 number, the lady said no, there can't be any problem
    because noone else has complained.

    Peter

    Peter, Sep 21, 2007
  17. Sounds like maybe Layer 4/7 rate limiting which they may be doing it on all
    traffic and at peak times its going over its rate so becomes really slow..

    Thanks

    Craig Whitmore, Sep 21, 2007
  18. Brian Adams

    Murray Symon Guest

    Yes, I could always establish a connection to the server port, but the
    traces showed that packet loss was occurring (TCP retransmissions...).
    When testing from a command prompt I would sometimes get a response to
    a NNTP command, sometimes none at all.

    Last night I phoned Slingshot (instead of complaining via the WWW page)
    and the operator finally concluded that I required an unspecified
    "upgrade" that would be applied by today (it's working now).
    When asked, "no it will not cost you more" and "no, there is no block
    of any sort listed against your account".

    If they are doing the layer 4/7 rate limiting, would it be transparent
    to the helpdesk operators?

    Murray.

    Murray Symon, Sep 21, 2007
  19. I was actually thinking being outside meeting REAL people etc ;-)

    Southern Kiwi, Sep 24, 2007