Lack of Support

Discussion in 'Firefox' started by Stephen Boursy, Mar 10, 2005.

  1. I use Firefox as my default browser and Thunderbird as my default email
    client (right now I'm using Outlook Express instead of Agent for usenet as I
    just got a new
    PC and haven't installed the software).

    The only problem I really have with Mozilla products is that there's no
    convenient way to notify them of problems or ask questions. Knowledge
    bases, etc. don't cut it--there is no substitute for human interaction. Of
    course you won't get that with many other products as well but it would be
    nice if Mozilla would put on a human face and encourage rather than
    discourage such interaction. They do after all represent something
    different and less greedy.

    For example I went to PC-Cillin after reading reviews of their virus
    software and they offer a free scan online but it only works with the
    Microdollars browser. There was no email address to report this to at
    Mozilla. When I wrote to the PC_cillin folks they said they don't support
    Firefox and you'd get no browser protection if you bought their
    product--couldn't report that either.

    Not a complaint really--just a source of disappointment.

    Steve

    Stephen Boursy, Mar 10, 2005

  2. You're in one of the best support groups for Mozilla products. Check
    Chris Ilias' help site for more options:

    http://ilias.ca/

    To report problems, there is Bugzilla:

    https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/

    What you are talking about would be tech evangelism bugs. Search
    Bugzilla carefully before filing a bug, to make sure it isn't a
    duplicate of an existing bug.Read the following carefully before filing
    a bug:

    http://www.mozilla.org/projects/tech-evangelism/

    Lee

    Leonidas Jones, Mar 10, 2005

  3. The thing about community-driven projects like Mozilla is that they are
    just that - community-driven. Code writing is handled mainly by
    community contributions. Documentation is handled mainly by community
    contributions. Tech support is also handled largely by the community,
    through such means as newsgroups (such as this one), mailing lists, IRC
    channels, and the like. As for bugs, the accepted method of reporting
    them is with Bugzilla: https://bugzilla.mozilla.org
    More of a centralized structure would probably be neccessary to "put on
    a human face." Actually, I think Mozilla puts more effort into its
    "human face" than most open-source projects. I imagine Netscape might
    present more of face, though I haven't used their Firefox-based Netscape
    8 and so can't really comment on it.

    Charles Hawkins, Mar 10, 2005
  4. Have you tried the Mozilla support page?

    http://www.mozilla.org/support/

    John Thompson, Mar 11, 2005
  5. Stephen Boursy

    Justin Guest

    Stephen Boursy wrote on [Thu, 10 Mar 2005 05:04:28 -0500]:
    This isn't a Mozilla issue, it's a PC-Cillin issue. Would you complain
    to Apple that games designed for Windows don't run on a Mac, or would
    you complain to the game manufacturer?

    Justin, Mar 11, 2005