Lack of digital DVI input on cheaper flat-panel monitors

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by michael turner, May 6, 2004.

  1. Xposted.

    Just been looking at getting a LCD flat-panel monitor to replace my aging
    but still OK analogue Compaq 171FS CRT monitor.

    Now my Nvidia graphic card has a *digital* DVI output designed to drive
    digital flat-panel monitors, as well as a normal analogue VGA output. And
    AFAIK quite a few other cards including cheaper ones, also have a DVI
    output.

    So I goes to the local computer emporium/superstore. They have a nice
    selection of about 15 or so digital LCD flat-panel monitors, but only one
    has a *digital* DVI input, that being a rather expensive Iiyama 19in. The
    rest have a normal analogue VGA input.

    Why don't more of the manufacturers put a DVI as well as an analogue
    input on these monitors ?

    Because the way I see it, converting digital to analogue(VGA) and back to
    digital again is going to be losing quality, and somewhat defeats the
    object of having a *digital* monitor in the first place.

    michael turner, May 6, 2004