Labelling prints in galleries: "photo" vs "digital photo" vs "digital manipulation"...

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Alan Justice, Jun 5, 2005.

  1. Alan Justice

    Alan Justice Guest

    When I display my photo prints from slides I always list the medium as
    "photo," regardless of the method of reproduction (R print, scanned then
    digital photographic print, scanned then inkjet print). An inkjet print
    from a digital camera would be marked as "digital photo."

    Sometimes I do some color/exposure correction etc. in Photoshop on my
    scanned slides. Still labelled as "photo." These are considered "darkroom
    techniques."

    If I copied a part of one photo and pasted it into another, this would be a
    "digital manipulation." But then, one can put 2 negatives together in the
    darkroom.

    Sometimes I do in PS more than could be done in a darkroom (I'm guessing).
    Selective color enhancement (dodge & burn with a colored filter?), unsharp
    mask, cloning out a beercan or power lines.

    At what point does a photo need to be labelled as something else? I believe
    in truth in advertising. Even though most folks just want a pretty picture
    for their walls, sometimes they want to know if it really looked like that
    when I took the picture.

    Are there any accepted definitions for labelling fine art prints?

    --
    - Alan Justice

    Alan Justice, Jun 5, 2005

  2. Alan Justice wrote:
    [snip]
    > At what point does a photo need to be labelled as something else? I believe
    > in truth in advertising. Even though most folks just want a pretty picture
    > for their walls, sometimes they want to know if it really looked like that
    > when I took the picture.

    [snip]

    Perhaps enclose a small print of the original(s)? (I don't think any
    number of words is going to convey what things really looked like
    originally).

    (I have a website where I show a small version of the original
    35mm-scan, including the black borders, for most of the photos I show).

    --
    Barry Pearson
    http://www.barry.pearson.name/photography/

    Barry Pearson, Jun 6, 2005

  3. Alan Justice

    Alan Justice Guest

    In order to make the scan look like the original slide, some manipulation is
    required. With my Nikon scanner, I ofter have to increase exposure level
    and use the shadow detail option (DEE), or it just looks like a degraded
    image. Otherwise, yes, one picture is worth a thousand words.

    --
    - Alan Justice

    Alan Justice, Jun 8, 2005