KVM extender and switch problem

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by James Hanley, Dec 3, 2004.

  1. James Hanley

    James Hanley Guest

    I bought a zonet 4 port kvm switch - that works.
    I've got a blackbox kvm extender - that works.
    *but they don't work together very well - they work but I can't access
    the switch's hotkeys*

    I've also got a blackbox kvm switch that dtoesn't work at all. So
    forget that.

    Even with the 2 working things. When using the zonet switch with the
    blackbox extender, the keyboard hotkeys don't work on the switch. i
    have to run downstairs and hit the button on the switch to change
    computers.

    I'm buying stuff off ebay.co.uk I could get a belkin kvm switch, but
    then there's no belkin kvm extender there. I dont want to spend more
    than $70 on a switch or on an extender - hence ebay.

    So, the way I see it, I have 3 options - listed in descending order of
    preference 1=best - relatively speaking.
    1)Buy many KVM Extenders and ethernet cables (one for each extender -
    an extender for each computer). Have a kvm switch at my end.
    2)Open up the zonet kvm switch pull the push-button off and attach a
    long wire into my room with a switch at the end that I can use.
    3)Build a Rude Goldberg contraption that will let me squeeze the
    switch from upstairs.

    All the options are aweful. Even option 1 is expensive and leads to
    loads of cables running up the stairs.
    I've no background in electronics so am not inclined towards option 2
    and it may lead to me breaking the switch - the pun holds too. Forget
    option 3, it'd be too messy.

    I want to stick to a serious idea, like option 1, or an alternative.
    And probably want to avoid doing electronics project myself.

    Any ideas?!!!

    James Hanley, Dec 3, 2004

  2. James Hanley

    Mark Shaw Guest

    KVM: either spend money on decent equipment and stick with the one supplier,
    or enjoy the exercise of going up and downstairs all the time, or move all
    your computers upstairs or migrate to software kvm, eg TightVNC.

    Mark Shaw, Dec 6, 2004

  3. The equipment's very good and reliable.
    It turned out that the scroll lock key required to switch computers on
    the kvm switch is also used to reset the kvm extender. On the bottom of
    the kvm extender are 2 DIP switches. Setting DIP switch #2 to ON
    disabled that feature, allowing the scroll lock to act like all the
    other keys. There was no compatibility problem.

    jameshanley39, Dec 16, 2004