Korean Govt Backs Linux.....

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by steve, Mar 31, 2005.

  1. steve

    steve Guest

    South Korea is the same country that mandated high speed Internet access
    as a key element of a national information infrastructure. They arguably
    have the best boradband access in the world.

    Early adopters......with a proven track record.

    http://www.technewsworld.com/story/opensource/41804.html

    South Korea Steps Up Linux Use in Public Sector

    03/28/05 8:18 AM PT

    Last year, the Ministry of Information and Communication in South Korea
    encouraged eight government agencies to adopt the Linux operating system
    and it is now gaining traction, the ministry said in a statement.

    South Korea said today it will launch a government-wide promotion to
    increase the free use of the Linux Get a free copy of Sybase(R) ASE
    Express Edition for Linux. Download now! operating system in the public
    sector, a move what analysts say could reduce the dominance of
    Microsoft's (Nasdaq: MSFT) Latest News about Microsoft Windows.

    The Ministry of Information and Communication said it will provide a
    total of 3 billion won (US$2.95 million) for government agencies which
    want to use the Linux and other open-source computer programs this year.

    Gaining Traction

    Last year, the ministry encouraged eight government agencies to adopt
    the Linux operating system and it is now gaining traction, the ministry
    said in a statement.

    "We're seeing a lot of organizations who are very interested in
    open-source software," an official at the ministry said on the customary
    condition of anonymity.
    Heavy Use

    Unlike most commercial software, the underlying code in open-source
    software is free and benefits from continual scrutiny and improvements
    made by a community of programmers.

    Proponents say that makes Linux more stable and secure than, for
    example, Microsoft products -- a claim Microsoft disputes.

    South Korea leads the rest of the world in terms of broadband Latest
    News about Broadband Internet penetration with more than seven of 10
    households having access.

    steve, Mar 31, 2005

  2. steve

    Gordon Guest

    Shit, while I look forward to the day the Korea is one country, as is
    Germany today, at present Korea is still in N and S mode.

    Okay it was a typo in the header. ;=)

    Gordon, Mar 31, 2005

  3. steve

    steve Guest

    You raise a good point.

    In my experience, many people refer to South Korea as "Korea" simply
    because North Korea is - effectively - irrelevant for most practical
    discussion purposes that do not relate specifically to North Korea.

    steve, Mar 31, 2005